BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barrier to employment.

5 posters

Go down

Barrier to employment. Empty Barrier to employment.

Post by The Catwoman Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:20 pm

I've always jobsearched using my phone or at the library. My work coach has always known I have no internet access at home..

During my last appointment my work coach is trying to say this is a barrier to employment as I could be working from home. I can't afford the internet and I don't even want it . I am happy using my phone or the library.
The work coach was saying some rubbish about getting help to get a laptop and internet. The point is I don't want it, I know for a fact she only wants me to have it so I can do a providers course at home... No one cared how I manage to jobsearch during lockdown

My question is can I be forced to get a laptop and internet for my home.

The Catwoman

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Barrier to employment. Empty Re: Barrier to employment.

Post by Pintel Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:41 pm

The Catwoman wrote:I've always jobsearched using my phone or at the library. My work coach has always known I have no internet access at home..

The work coach was saying some rubbish about getting help to get a laptop and internet.

I'm in a similar situation, of no home computing 🖥️/internet access. "Getting help" sounds like a bait to have some loan you don't require or need? In addition to this the extra cost of electricity ⚡ to your home, with all energy bills skyrocketing! So the last thing anyone needs is two more bills to pay 💰.

Sorry I don't know the answer 😪, but I am interested to find out, #Catwoman.
Pintel
Pintel

The Catwoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:16 pm

These work coaches always find something to moan about.

The Catwoman

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:27 am

The Catwoman wrote:I've always jobsearched using my phone or at the library. My work coach has always known I have no internet access at home..

During my last appointment my work coach is trying to say this is a barrier to employment as I could be working from home. I can't afford the internet and I don't even want it . I am happy using my phone or the library.
The work coach was saying some rubbish about getting help to get a laptop and internet. The point is I don't want it, I know for a fact she only wants me to have it so I can do a providers course at home... No one cared how I manage to jobsearch during lockdown

No, you can't be forced to buy a laptop and a monthly internet service.  DWP may be able to provide a free lap top but without a free internet service it is superfluous.

D.Appleby

jobberpw and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:02 pm

The Catwoman wrote:my work coach is trying to say this is a barrier to employment as I could be working from home.

What does your roach mean by "barrier to employment"? It suggests that you are deliberately failing to comply with the requirement to have internet access and a computer at home. I know of no such requirement.

There are many reasons you can use to say no to this roach: lack of privacy or lack of a spare room which leads to problems where data protection is concerned; breaches tenancy agreement; breaches an insurance policy; personal risk assessment is that long term use of a laptop will lead to physical issues later on. Employment exists outside working from home. The DWP has no power to compel a claimant into borrowing money or taking out a loan for any equipment in connection to work. Employers snoop on home workers using key loggers. There would need to be a separate PC for work and a separate PC for private use. There is also no legal right for anyone to work from home. An employee can only ask their employer after 26 weeks for flexible working.

Private sector employers expect more than just an internet connection and a laptop (which is not adequate for long term use). They want a land line telephone connection, internet connection (often Wifi only for no valid reason), a head set, a web cam, up to date software and even what type of keyboard and mouse you have. Is the DWP going to provide all this as well?

she only wants me to have it so I can do a providers course at home

Then access to a proper PC is in order. A lap top is not acceptable to have to work on.

Last edited by Absolut on Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:19 pm

I'm still on phone appointments Which I believe she has on speaker cause I can hardly hear her. There was some type of jobs fair at my jobcentre and she said it was for retail jobs working from home, I told her I can't work from home I don't have the equipment, this is when she tells me she can help me getting a laptop and internet, when I said I don't want the internet in my house,I'm fine with using the library's internet ect,plus I don't want to be working on my own at home. This is when she said this might be considered as a barrier for employment.
These work coaches are the ones creating barriers. I've been jobsearching fine at the library and using my phone, suddenly now she has a problem with me not having the internet connected to my house.

The Catwoman

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:47 am

Ok, thanks.

1. The DWP can't compel you into signing a contract with an internet provider. Refusing to do so is not a sanctionable offence. There is also the cost, on a lengthy contract, that you can't break without a penalty.  You have good reason not to have the internet at home on a limited income. This fact is unarguable.
2. Laptop presents health and safety issues. Full PC only is acceptable from an ergonomic point of view. You have good reason not to have a laptop. The DWP is very bad where the health and safety of job seekers is concerned.

All that is left is you not wanting to work from home on your own. Is this good reason? Possibly. There are certain mental health considerations to take into account in regard to working from home. You may not be suited to being managed from a distance by an employer and having no contact with other people except via technology. This is where "hybrid" working raises its ugly head. I don't want to work from home either, not even 1 day per week. It's my home.  Work and home do not mix well unless you are self-employed and have no boss logging all your keystrokes or scrutinising the time spent on phone calls.

Various roaches (none of them are work coaches) have mentioned home working to me quite a bit lately and when I said we live in a tiny bungalow, the response was "well Fred worked from home at his kitchen table". We can't get a table into our kitchen  Rolling Eyes If I was made to work at a kitchen table it  would result in injury. I won't do it just because Fred is stupid.

These work coaches are the ones creating barriers. I've been jobsearching fine at the library and using my phone

Yes, you are making more of an effort to look for work than jobseekers who don't have to leave the house to do it. When a roach concentrates on what you are not doing (validly refusing to have the internet installed or a laptop), steer them back towards what you have done to look for work.  Very Happy
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Thanks absolut.

The Catwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Mon May 23, 2022 2:29 pm

HI Catwoman,

Well, OMG!! There really is no end to their talents down at roach central is there Evil or Very Mad . Ask this moron, if they've been speaking to any of the planks on TV lately with very similar lunatic suggestion's of cook for 30p and go get 2 or 3 other jobs if you need to.

As their this deluded i would be asking, when are they going to pay your internet bill in advance ? I seriously would have asked that moron. Your doing your best as per your means £ doing web search etc. They usually see this as an opportunity to say YOU MUST NOW VISIT ROACH VILLE 3 TIMES A WEEK or else! their totally pathetic. If they do actually insist on that crap idea make sure you send a letter from hell to roach manager and your MP.

In times like this their lucky everyone has not turned their bloody internet off. I see that coming soon. If they want the unemployed to pay for net connections to seek work then, they can pay for it. But no, moron club feel we've all got web for movies etc. Well...their right Laughing Twisted Evil

Anything they suggest to you Catwoman that requires ANY financial outlay from yourself tell the morons to go buy it for you and all will be well on planet delusional.

Tell the roach shop manager you strongly feel that moron is being vexatious. And use their old favourite, unreasonable Twisted Evil

You certainly cannot and I've never heard anyone having this put to them for real. I am so pissed off just reading what's being said/implied to you Cat woman.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon May 23, 2022 4:05 pm

What with the price of Electricity ⚡ going up and up. I wonder if now is the time to drop the 'Up to 35x hrs' a week job search, down to 30x hrs🤨. This would not only save 'claimants'. some 💵 money, it would also be good for the environment 🌍. A win win situation 🤗.

As you could understand not being able to afford to pay the electricity bill and not being able to afford to travel to the JCP 🚽. Is another 🚧 to work? And the best it wouldn't cost the DWP 🚽 anything....🤔

Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Tue May 24, 2022 10:32 am

Seems like the work roach was playing games trying to stress me out as she has not mentioned it again.

The Catwoman

jobberpw and bully3061 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Tue May 24, 2022 10:34 am

Thank god for the queen's jubilee, as I won't need to deal with them until 4 weeks time🎉

The Catwoman

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Tue May 24, 2022 11:07 am

Catwoman, if you feel up to it, maybe remind that moron of their incorrect suggestion and drop a letter to their manager about their splendid training of roaches Twisted Evil .
jobberpw
jobberpw

bully3061 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed May 25, 2022 5:57 am

Pintel wrote:What with the price of Electricity ⚡ going up and up. I wonder if now is the time to drop the 'Up to 35x hrs' a week job search, down to 30x hrs🤨. This would not only save 'claimants'. some 💵 money, it would also be good for the environment 🌍. A win win situation 🤗.

As you could understand not being able to afford to pay the electricity bill and not being able to afford to travel to the JCP 🚽. Is another 🚧 to work? And the best it wouldn't cost the DWP 🚽 anything....🤔

Oftem announced yesterday that they predict gas and electric prices more than doubling again on 1 October. Shocked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61572226

Last week, inflation reached a 40-year high and on Tuesday the energy regulator Ofgem warned the energy price cap - which limits how much providers can raise prices - is expected to increase to £2,800 a year in the autumn.

£2800 per year is £53.84 per week. Single UC or JSA is £77 per week. One doesn't need to be an economist to see a problem with those numbers. It's simply unaffordable.
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw, Pintel, london123 and bully3061 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sun May 29, 2022 11:58 am

No doubt, we can now all go buy some candles, light a fire in the back yard if you have one and, some nice thick jumpers from a charity shop i heard someone called 'Useless' say the other day Twisted Evil

Also heard Chimney sweeps returning soon:evil: .
jobberpw
jobberpw

Absolut and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon May 30, 2022 6:16 pm

jobberpw wrote:N

Also heard Chimney sweeps returning soon:evil: .

I am just waiting to hear that the Coal mines/Coal Powered⚡ stations. Will be un- mothballed, to deal with the energy shortage and create some jobs 🤨 this year. So where's Dick Van Dyke in a Chimney sweep outfit when you want him🎩...
Pintel
Pintel

Absolut and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:01 am

I have my candles and 4 flash lamps on standby Pintel, and I'm not kidding Laughing

With the cost of living crisis now kicking in I am wondering how all the low paid are actually affording to get to work if using a car ? I guess that's why they will keep all the bus fares down in any high populated areas which rely heavily on warehouse staff for employment.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down