BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sector Based Work Academy

+6
scratch
Jara
The Catwoman
Intincroi
fordcortina1970
Topaz
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sector Based Work Academy  Empty Sector Based Work Academy

Post by Ignatius Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:29 am

Help! Help! I have been a fucking imbecile.

I have agreed of my own volition to attend an information session with an employer which includes a guaranteed interview. I was given a fair choice to participate by the WC. I went along with it because I wasn't in fighty mode and I have a high degree of confidence I will interview so atrociously I will not be offered a position. The role and employer holds absolutely no interest to me so I don't think I would be passing up a good opportunity.

The session is part of a Sector Based Work Academy and upon reading the letter it mentions it involves a work placement. Has anyone here been stupid enough to sign up for such nonsense? I can fake it through a talk by an employer and deliver a car crash of an interview but a bastard work placement as well?? For various reasons no way is that happening at this moment in my life. Or at any other stage either for that matter.

What should I do next? I recorded the appointment so I can listen to that to see if the WC has misled me, but I don't think they did. I am minded to attend because as I've said I don't think I will interview well for various reasons, but I do not want to take the risk of ending up on a placement. Due to the ongoing effects of a traumatic personal event earlier this year I would have no difficulty getting a Fit Note but my concern is the JCP could ignore it and I might still have to do it.

In addition to changing my username to Ignatius the Imbecile, does anyone have any idea as to what the fuck I should do so I don't end up slaving away for free?

Ignatius

jobberpw, scratch and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Sector Based Work Academy  Empty Re: Sector Based Work Academy

Post by The Catwoman Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:29 pm

I done this year's ago to get WC off my back, wasn't really told anything about it just that it was four weeks work placement with interview at the end.
I was sent to a provider, they wouldn't say where or what the placement was just expect a letter in the post.

When I got home it was already sent with where I had to go. A community centre underneath a block of flats getting demolished..
It was a waste of time, nothing to do there and the Mann in charge of community centre was running a scam getting paid from DWP to help people, but there was nothing there to do...
Only good thing about it was he didn't care if you went home 20 minutes after turning up.

I think if you sign the providers paperwork then you'll have to take part..

The Catwoman

jobberpw, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:47 pm

Thanks for that, Catwoman.

My "opportunity" is with a large national retailer so I fear it will not be so relaxed. They get to look like they're giving people opportunities and I would get to slave away for free.

The paperwork I have been given bores on about a placement but the only time/dates I have been given are for the information session. I will likely attend that, indeed the WC did say I would have to attend like any other appointment. The rest of the paperwork says the placement will be for 6 weeks with a guaranteed interview after the placement.

It goes without saying I have now added the retailer in question to the list of companies I will not spend my money with. The billionaire owners of this business could definitely afford to pay people.

Ignatius

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaz Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:14 pm

If its just an information session session, attend, then say you don't think it is helpful for you. If you haven't signed anything yet, you don't need to do it. It is voluntary as far as I know.

Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Topaz wrote:If its just an information session session, attend, then say you don't think it is helpful for you. If you haven't signed anything yet, you don't need to do it. It is voluntary as far as I know.

Voluntary is far better. Too much of this mandatory crap going on. Twisted Evil
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 pm

Having listened to my not very good recording, WC certainly does not mention an unpaid placement and I am correct in thinking I agreed to an information session and guaranteed interview. The only thing I signed is my CC which does mention the appointment but not slaving away for nothing for a business owned by billionaires. If by some miracle the employer is interested in my services, I will go down the Fit Note route, and if that puts me on UC before the current plan of September so be it.

I shall use the session to do my bit for the forum and see what more I can learn about this programme so others may not make the same mistake as me. Looking online SWAP, as they now call this programme, are used by big employers to get staff on the cheap and the training is provided by good old training providers who undoubtedly get their pockets filled. It's a small world.

Whatever will I agree to next? Signing provider paperwork?

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:17 pm

Catwoman, you were sent on a placement in the basement of a building that was due to be demolished? Was your WC previously in the Mafia and saw it as an opportunity to get you buried under a tonne of rubble & out of their hair for eternity?

Ignatius

jobberpw, Pintel and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:25 pm

Ignatius:Looking online SWAP, as they now call this programme, are used by big employers to get staff on the cheap and the training is provided by good old training providers who undoubtedly get their pockets filled. It's a small world.

And that's whats completely screwed millions who have been looking to make a decent living in the uk from working as an employee, only for the past 15 years though.

Its this rinse and repeat mentality that Tory chums just love to keep carrying on. lets see if Labour actually have the balls to change it. Closing those providers could save billions.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fordcortina1970 Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 pm

I will look out for this. I don't think I would last a day on a work placement. The last time they tried this with me I was on the Work Programme back in 2011 and I lasted three days. I will tell them that it would not help me in the long run as I need help with driving lessons and to get a full UK Driving Licence to make me more employable, not slave labour. These schemes always fail.
fordcortina1970
fordcortina1970

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:11 pm

Really, this just seems like a version of the X Factor for the jobless. Give a load of unemployed people to an employer, watch them compete with each other as there are not enough jobs for everyone on the placement and those who appear sufficiently grateful and compliant win. Everyone else goes home empty handed.

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:34 pm

Tragically, my Sector Based Work Academy session has been postponed until some time next year. I am sure I will cope just fine without it for now 😁.

Ignatius

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:56 pm

I'm with you Fordcortina, cant stand the thought of being cooped up with a bunch of strangers HAVING to listen to some bullshit about they know the best way to get us all a secure high wage job...which are needed in the millions, and ultimately not there. The WP was a nightmare and a total waste of my life. And no doubt, for many others who HAD to 'participate' on that idealistic crap.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Intincroi Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:27 pm

jobberpw wrote:I'm with you Fordcortina, cant stand the thought of being cooped up with a bunch of strangers HAVING to listen to some bullshit about they know the best way to get us all a secure high wage job...which are needed in the millions, and ultimately not there. The WP was a nightmare and a total waste of my life.  And no doubt, for many others who HAD to 'participate' on that idealistic crap.
From what I recall of the Work Programme, it lasted for 2 years and you attended roughly every 2 weeks. Very similar to Restart, just not as much pressure. They did try to put me on courses, but they gave up after I pointed out I had such experience on my CV, so such a course is pointless.

Intincroi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:21 pm

A bit of an update for anyone who gets referred to one of these schemes. I went along to the rescheduled one earlier this week.

SWAPS is the new name for a Sector Based Work Academy. Normally these involve a group information session, a number of weeks training and unpaid work experience , with a guaranteed job interview at the end.

In the case of the SWAP I stupidly agreed to the employer is so desperate for staff they have skipped the unpaid slaving and offered an interview to everyone who attended the information session.

At the end of the information session we were told if it wasn't for us we were free to go and to stay if we wanted an interview. As nobody else left (maybe that was due to the ominous presence of a WC in the room), I decided not to draw attention to myself and stay put too. I now have a job interview next week for a 16 hours, minimum wage, unsociable hours in an unskilled position that will be a pain in the arse to get to. In case you haven't noticed, I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect.

Ignatius

jobberpw and scratch like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Intincroi Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:36 pm

Ignatius wrote:A bit of an update for anyone who gets referred to one of these schemes. I went along to the rescheduled one earlier this week.

SWAPS is the new name for a Sector Based Work Academy. Normally these involve a group information session, a number of weeks training and unpaid work experience  , with a guaranteed job interview at the end.

In the case of the SWAP I stupidly agreed to the employer is so desperate for staff they have skipped the unpaid slaving and offered an interview to everyone who attended the information session.

At the end of the information session we  were told if it wasn't for us we were free to go and to stay if we wanted an interview. As nobody else left (maybe that was due to the ominous presence of a WC in the room), I decided not to draw attention to myself and stay put too. I now have a job interview next week for a 16 hours, minimum wage, unsociable hours in an unskilled position that will be a pain in the arse to get to. In case you haven't noticed, I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect.
I've always been told to be honest during interviews, even if that means confronting a few skeletons in my cupboard. So while you're being interviewed, you could perhaps use your honesty to your advantage.

For example, you could say you were asked to leave your last job due to poor performance, behaviour or because you buckled under pressure. Or another example could be to tell them you've not worked for ? years due to ill health, such as mental issues and say that you're still in the process of dealing with these.

There's ways of subtly telling them to do one. Using your attitude is just one example. So if you were going for a vacancy dealing with customers, just be off and awkward with the interviewer - they won't somebody like that dealing with customers. Likewise, they aren't going to want a lethargic person working on a production line or in a warehouse.

Intincroi

jobberpw, scratch and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Catwoman Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:49 pm

What was the company?

The Catwoman

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:15 pm

I won't name them on a public forum,  but think of a well known national retail chain  who go by the name of X & X.

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:10 am

You could just report illness on the day of the interview. By the time you fell well again it will be too late to get another interview scheduled.

Jara

Absolut, jobberpw, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scratch Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:23 pm

I had to attend the same information session last year with 'X & X' at the J/C, and was also told I'd be free to go if it wasn't for me, or stay if I wanted an interview....It wasn't for me so I made a dash for the exit door but was collared by a WC who insisted i will stay for the interview...which was to be arranged at a later date. Turned out when I went along a week later they had got the dates mixed up as 'X & X' were not present to do the interview, and luckily they never rescheduled another.

scratch

jobberpw, Pintel, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:28 pm

So much for being "Free to Go".... Sector Based Work Academy  2227953398 #Scratch.

I dare say Ignatius would of face the same gaulet 🧤. Had they decided to leave early.
Was there was a burly security troll, waiting in the wings. To catch any strays.
Sector Based Work Academy  2049752255

"At the end of the information session we were told if it wasn't for us we were free to go and to stay if we wanted an interview. As nobody else left (maybe that was due to the ominous presence of a WC in the room)...
Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:45 pm

Maybe "X & X" will rock up in your jobcentre soon, Pintel. We know you want them to. Your 10% staff discount in X & X and H***N, (frozen food retailer which is part of the same group), would more than make up for being on the minimum wage and no sick pay. Did I mention they have shifts from 8pm - 2am on a retail park with no public transport at that time of night??

There were 3 tattoed security guards between the room the talk was in and the jobcentre exit ...I suspect at these sessions, WC have been granted powers of arrest to deal with any escapees.

Ignatius

scratch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:04 pm

👍 @Ignatius.
When you said "*&*". I thought it was a well known DIY chain "* &*"🛠️, you could say 'you can do it if you *&* it'🤔. Thanks for the clue ( allegedly)... No doubt that the caravan, will be traveling to my local...☹

'...I suspect at these sessions, WC have been granted powers of arrest to deal with any escapees. " Just hope the did not turn the Defibrillator 💥to full power, and kept it on the Stun setting, to apprehend any runaway claimants....  Rolling Eyes
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04 am

Not a DIY chain but I'm confident people can work it out. Corporate colours are blue and orange, a store along the same lines as Home Bargains and The Range, and largely full of tat you never new you needed.

Your dreams may come true Pintel. Apparently they are opening new stores throughout the country all the time. It's probably just a matter of time before you find yourself being signed up.

We've all read lots about how firms can't recruit but in a way this was still a bit eye opening. They held these information sessions all day so lord knows how many people are being interviewed. They are looking to fill posts via the jobcentre because they suspect they may otherwise struggle. Apparently they haven't advertised the vacancies yet.

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:22 am

Yet another! great opportunity Ignatius. All these secure, high-wage, high skilled jobs just keep on coming.

I read the other day that roach shops across the UK soon to be doing in house interviews, they did in mine a few years ago the usual old favourites, shops and driving 'opportunities' but going to become the new norm soon. Many employers will recruit shep from within roach shop. How nice. Sheep ring fenced at source, roach listens in on interview, sheep declines and its bingo = SANCTION!!

Next!! Sector Based Work Academy  507219341 Sector Based Work Academy  1310887813
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:19 pm

Indeed #Jobber, I over heard to Roaches clown talking about conducting interviews at the JCP 🚽? Why I hear you say. Most companies have a meeting room to conduct interviews in? And the benefit of having a interview in the premise, you know where and how long it will take to commute there. So why conduct interviews within the ' bowls' of the JCP. As you said Jobber, more oppression.
At least it will be more for the Roach's to do....🤭
While we are talking about, intimation. A few years back in my JCP 🚽, there was some members of the Armed forces. Looking for recruit's to press-gang people into service. Thankfully I am too old and in poor health, for them to even consider this old Pirate....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressment

Last edited by Pintel on Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next