BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

+2
Absolut
Archangel
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made? Empty Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

Post by Archangel Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:55 am

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

Some online articles say by the 1 October others say that the DWP have yet to tell us.

I get the feeling there won't be a second instalment.

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made? Empty Re: Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

Post by mandy tori Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:32 pm

i will be checking on monday the 3rd - i had been shopping this morning but didn't have my bankcard with me...

mandy tori

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made? Empty Re: Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

Post by Absolut Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:48 pm

The 1st October date was issued by the mainstream media, which they then had to retract. DWP hasn't given a date.
Absolut
Absolut

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy tori Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:32 pm

will check in morning and report back

mandy tori

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy tori Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:46 pm

just checked, no payment for me yet (jsa)

mandy tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm

The DWP may have been silent on when people can expect the second Cost of Living Payment. Our government has been busy mouthing off to their friends in the media since last week that benefits are unlikely to be uprated in line with inflation, as promised by the previous Chancellor. In other words, it looks like we're getting a pay cut.

Ignatius

Absolut likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fordcortina1970 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:31 pm

The second payment will be made between 8th -23rd November. It's on the gov.co.uk site and BBC news.
fordcortina1970
fordcortina1970

The Catwoman, mandy tori and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 am

Here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

To be in receipt of benefit between 26 August and 25 September to qualify.

Please note that all Cost of Living payments and any payments from the Council under the Discretionary Payments Fund are disregarded under the Social Security (Additional Payments) Act 2022.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2022/38/section/8/enacted

8 Payments to be disregarded for the purposes of tax and social security

No account is to be taken of an additional payment in considering a person’s—

(a) liability to tax,

(b) entitlement to benefit under an enactment relating to social security (irrespective of the name or nature of the benefit), or

(c) entitlement to a tax credit.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1097764/adm17-22.pdf

11. No account is to be taken of any cost of living additional payments when considering a person’s
entitlement to a means tested social security benefit

Note: For calculating benefit entitlement purposes the additional payment is completely ignored.
Absolut
Absolut

mandy tori and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 am

Lots of stuff in the media today that many Conservative MPs are not at all impressed with Thick Lizzie refusing to guarantee all benefits will be uprated in line with inflation.

Ignatius

Absolut likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 am

Further to my post about the CoL payment being disregarded, I am unsure of the rules about capital limits. If someone has just under £6k in savings and the £326 pushes them over the limit, do they need to declare it and then prove to the DWP that £326 is to be disregarded? It doesn't seem to be automatic.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1085956/admh2.pdf

H2002 The claimant has to show that the capital can be disregarded. If there is no evidence to show capital can be disregarded, it is included when working out the amount of capital a claimant and their partner has
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:43 am

Good question, but one I don't have an answer to unfortunately.

Just in case people are unaware, it is worth pointing out that if you are in receipt of a sanction you do not automatically get the COL payment. I'm not sure whether that means if you were sanctioned during the period you had to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit to be eligible (25 August - 26 September), or if you are serving your sanction during the period they are paying out the COL payment. Finally, the DWP expect most people to get their money on the 9 November, even though they will be paid from 8 November.

Ignatius

Absolut and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:42 am

Ignatius wrote:Just in case people are unaware, it is worth pointing out that if you are in receipt of a sanction you do not automatically get the COL payment. I'm not sure whether that means if you were sanctioned during the period you had to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit to be eligible (25 August - 26 September), or if you are serving your sanction during the period they are paying out the COL payment. Finally, the DWP expect most people to get their money on the 9 November, even though they will be paid from 8 November.

It's the period 25 August to 26 September.

If the award is ZERO due to a sanction, that is very different to someone who his working and earning too much and so their UC is nil.

Sanctions depend on prior notification to the claimant that if they do not fulfill DWP rules then their income will be reduced to zero.

Anyone who was sanctioned during the period 25 August to 26 September couldn't possibly have been notified prior to their sanction that they would also lose their cost of living payment. They only announced the qualifying period 2 days ago.

The CoL payment isn't part of sanctions legislation and The Social Security (Additional Payments) Act 2022 specifically states that:
No account is to be taken of an additional payment in considering a person’s—(b) entitlement to benefit under an enactment relating to social security (irrespective of the name or nature of the benefit)

Under a sanction the entitlement to the benefit remains even if the "award" is zero.
Absolut
Absolut

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:28 am

I couldn't agree more with you Absolut. The COL payments appear to be yet another example of the DWP not following their rules and taking advantage of claimants lack of knowledge about the rules. There are quite a few accounts of people elsewhere on the internet who say they didn't receive their £326 due to a sanction.

Ignatius

Absolut likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am

Ignatius wrote:There are quite a few accounts of people elsewhere on the internet who say they didn't receive their £326 due to a sanction.

They have a case for stating that they weren't notified, prior to the sanction being enacted, that they would also lose their CoL payment further down the line. It might have changed their decision not to do something if they had been informed of that additional loss.

As the DWP didn't know the qualifying dates until they decided what the dates were going to be, then it's for a claimant to ask a DM where in the law it states loss of the CoL payment is included in the sanctions regime, but only for 2 specific time frames, neither of which were ever announced in advance.

Even if the sanction at the time was legit, as long as the claim wasn't closed and the sanction does not mention the loss of the CoL payment as part of that sanction, then the DWP can't claim that it was. There is also the fact that people sanctioned outside those dates got their CoL payment. One rule for them and another for a certain group who had no idea they'd be doubly punished? I wonder how that would play out in court?

If anyone has the link to where they added loss of the CoL to the sanctions regime, to be enacted retrospectively, I'd be interested to see it.
Absolut
Absolut

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:11 pm

Archangel wrote:Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made?

Some online articles say by the 1 October others say that the DWP have yet to tell us.

I get the feeling there won't be a second instalment.

most people will receive the autumn cost of living payment between November 8 and 23. It said that those on Tax Credits would receive the amount "shortly after people on the low-income DWP benefits have been paid".

I get the feeling there will have to be MANY more of these Smile

jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:00 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/household-support-fund-guidance-for-local-councils/household-support-fund-final-guidance-for-county-councils-and-unitary-authorities-in-england

the schemes listed in paragraph 24 do not cover everyone and Authorities should consider prioritising those households, who (for example):

are eligible for but not claiming qualifying benefits
   become eligible for benefits after the relevant qualifying dates
   are in receipt of HB only
   are ordinarily eligible for benefits but who had a nil award in the qualifying period due to, for example, a fluctuation in income
   have fuel costs but who cannot access the £400 of energy support from the Energy Bill Support Scheme or the equivalence package confirmed on 29 July 2022.

For anyone who did not get the cost of living payment due to a sanction it appears that they could apply to their local council for help. A claimant sanctioned under UC would still have their housing element paid and that makes them the equivalent of "are in receipt of HB only".

The whole document is well worth reading through.
Absolut
Absolut

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy tori Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:25 am

just reporting that i received 2nd COL payment today (checked balance at around 10:30am)

am on ib jsa if you didn't already know

mandy tori

Absolut, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:30 am

I am yet to receive my payment. Thankfully I am not desperate for it.

Ignatius

The Catwoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:35 am

We haven't received our payment yet either. IB JSA.
Absolut
Absolut

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:47 am

I'm IB JSA and received my payment today.

If anyone from JCP is reading this, I will be spending it all on gruel. Basic not luxury brand gruel obviously.

Ignatius

Absolut, jobberpw, The Catwoman and mandy tori like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy tori Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:29 pm

Ignatius wrote:I'm IB JSA and received my payment today.

If anyone from JCP is reading this, I will be spending it all on gruel. Basic not luxury brand gruel obviously.

i have above a hundred tins of tesco beans and mini sausages and a butane camping stove

blazing saddles 🤣🤠

mandy tori

Absolut, jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:03 am

Got it now, date on it is Monday for it to fully clear.
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm

Gruel shopping ahoy Absolut.

Ignatius

Absolut, jobberpw and mandy tori like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:23 pm

most people will receive the autumn cost of living payment between November 8 and 23rd. And mine, is going on this Twisted Evil . Always have 2 or 3 before every roach shop visit.

Does anyone know when the second instalment of the cost of living payment will be made? 7yUx

Its tough times, and the Beer here is free. Twisted Evil Laughing

My cost of living payment has gone in. I wonder how many times they will be doing this in 2023 because economists & city analysts etc predict hell for next 2-5 years. This maybe close to the time of .gov, having to suck up the thought of a UBI after all:twisted: .

Last edited by jobberpw on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
jobberpw
jobberpw

Absolut and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:57 am

And how many glasses of finest gruel do you need after each JCP visit?

If benefits don't get increased properly to account for inflation then there will be a need for more of these one off payments. Thursday is budget day so we will find out then if they really wish to give some protection to the poorest of the parish. Had benefits been uprated to take account of forecast inflation rates perhaps these COL payments may not have been needed.

Ignatius

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next