BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment?

+3
oneman
jobberpw
Tarquin Flotsam
7 posters

Go down

I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment? Empty I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment?

Post by Tarquin Flotsam Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:05 am

Hello everyone, hope you're keeping as well as can be in these increasingly trying times...

My query comes from my most recent jobcentre appointment, which was face-to-face. Before covid and any lockdowns I had 2 appointments each month with my work coach. As I have quite a distance to travel, 16 miles, I was told this was taken into account so I'd have 1 face-to-face and 1 phone appointment each month. The first few months I was even reimbursed my bus fares to the jobcentre until I was informed they wouldn't do that anymore.

When they restarted face-to-face appointments at my JCP back in July this continued, until being assigned a new work coach (a young pup) who I met on Monday. All seemed to go well until he booked our next appointment in 2 weeks, to be held in the jobcentre again. I informed him how it worked previously, phone/face-to-face/phone etc, to which he showed surprise. I told him he only needs to look at my journal which has recorded all these appointments. I told him with the distance I have to travel, bus fare there and back is almost £6, so going twice a month would cost me almost £12 and take a sizeable chunk out of my monthly payment, which'll only get worse now the £80 a month "bonus" is being stopped.

He said he'd look into it, and as we were chatting the work coach next to us informed him that all fares are taken into account with your payment. He seemed surprised, as did I. Sounds like a load of crap to me, just wondering if any of you out there know anything about this? First I've heard of it that's for sure! As it stands now, my next appointment shows in my journal as being at the jobcentre... Most of these face-to-face appointments are a waste of time anyway, it's more or less exactly the same as a phone appointment so I don't see the point in having to travel by bus such a distance.
Tarquin Flotsam
Tarquin Flotsam

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment? Empty Re: I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment?

Post by jobberpw Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi Tarquin,

Unless things have changed I'd say roach shop are taking the P.

Ask them for written confirmation when this great change happened through your journal.

Better still, send that question to usual roach and another copying in the details of that conversation to a manager or any other appropriate tab in the UC journal at the same time. Hopefully someone's going to get a bollocking. Can't remember which options are in the journal.

Bus fares to joke shop can be reclaimed if their outside of any regular, usually fortnightly signings. Any interview travel costs also. They will say their usual crap of yes, only at our discretion. If so,  tell em to start using it.There is an FOI on bus fares etc somwehere on-line.

Here it is.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/reimbursement_of_bus_fares_or_fu

Travel expenses  (Extract from UC Full Service
Guidance)

Mandatory awards for travel
An award for travel expenses must be made when the claimant:-
  attends additional appointments other than the fortnightly work search reviews when
they are allocated to the intensive work search regime. This includes:  
o  alternate weekly work search review during the first 13 weeks of being allocated
into the Intensive Work Search regime.
o  additional attendance during the Youth Obligation Support Programme intensive
activity period
  attends mandatory provision where such costs are not met by the provider
  attends approved non-contracted provision where this is previously agreed with DWP
staff
  participates in:  
o  Work Trial
o  work experience
o  sector-based work academy

Last edited by jobberpw on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jobberpw
jobberpw

Tarquin Flotsam likes this post

Back to top Go down

I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment? Empty Re: I was informed the other day bus fares to the JCP are accounted for in your UC payment?

Post by oneman Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:43 pm

"He said he'd look into it, and as we were chatting the work coach next to us informed him that all fares are taken into account with your payment"

The above statement goes to show that they have no Idea what they are talking about. Why would they need to look into it if they know. Utter bullshit.
Next time you see him present him with your expenses and request to see a manager. Make an appointment if needed (more expenses) in the mean time email your area manager and send a copy to your MP. The area manager will probably ignore you but your MP will not. You may need to provide your name and address to contact your MP. but they will email you either way.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398695/jcp-district-managers.pdf
oneman
oneman

Tarquin Flotsam and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am

DWP can apply discretion when a claimants ask for help from from the Flexible Support Fund.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/travel_expenses_reimbursement_fo#incoming-1329209

The Work Coach should also use their discretion to determine the attendance requirements at Jobcentres.

Claimants can also request a preferred method of contact.  Taking into consideration that UC is primarily an online service,  telephone and Face to Face meetings should only apply to claimants who don't have a phone and/or need additional support due to disabilities/vulnerabilities.

Furthermore, many Jobcentres have closed and travel/walking time can be 1 hour or longer. Postal interventions may apply in certain circumstances.

It would also be reasonable for DWP staff to consider the following:

* Hardship due to increased expenditure i.e., high fuel costs (petrol, diesel, gas, electricity) and losing the £20 UC uplift.

* Bus fare increases.

D.Appleby

Tarquin Flotsam and oneman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarquin Flotsam Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

jobberpw wrote:Bus fares to joke shop can be reclaimed if their outside of any regular, usually fortnightly signings. Any interview travel costs also. They will say their usual crap of yes, only at our discretion. If so,  tell em to start using it.There is an FOI on bus fares etc somwehere on-line.

The woman who informed my work coach that "all fares are taken into account with your payment" did state you can only claim fares if they're outside of the normal 2 week appointments, as yet I haven't had any "extra" appointments. I still call BS on her claim that my payment reflects the fares I have to pay. Firstly, how come it's the same amount as someone in same situation as me who lives a stones throw from the jobcentre?!?! Secondly, how would they know exactly how much in fares I'd have to pay each journey if my fares were "calculated" into my payment. How would they know I don't get a lift to the JCP, or even walk.

Currently formulating a response to WC in my journal, as it's still showing as a jobcentre appointment. He hasn't got back to me which is no surprise. I mean, everything that happened at our face-to-face meeting could have just as easily been done by phone, especially when they have details of jobs I've applied for on my journal...

My main query would be why it was phone/face-to-face/phone etc appointments every 2 weeks up until now and why the sudden need for me to attend in person every 2 weeks.
Tarquin Flotsam
Tarquin Flotsam

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi Tarquin,

They calculate fares pence per mile on fuel if using car and by bus, just hand in bus ticket, they photo copy it and refund fares into bank account at a later date.

It's a bloody pain talking to these lovely people effectively, about nothing. But, unless you have particular health conditions or a disability they love to fill their days talking with us all about the wonderful opportunities and appropriate re training. 😀

Your right about everything can be done by phone or digital means. I'd question roach shop manager. As if they have something that's actually specific, and tailored to you then they should be able to confirm that if not...they are just wasting your time and tax payers money. In this situation they think this is all fare 🥶😈

I sympathize to your situation and had to jump through their idealistic hoops for years. Same old opportunity's, "jobs " and training. 😡
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 pm

TF,

in light of your job search activity, circumstances etc., you may wish to ask what benefits are gained from regular 'face to face' meetings at the Jobcentre?

D.Appleby

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 am

At the very least aren't you entitled to a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card?
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 am

The Jobcentre Travel Card is very limited!!!   Mad

You’re not able to get a Travel Discount Card the day you start your benefits claim.

You can apply if you’ve been unemployed claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal credit for:

13-39 weeks, if you’re aged 18-24-year-old
13-52 weeks, if you’re over 25 years old

However, if you’re claiming other benefits, you may be able to get a Travel Discount Card too.

https://skintdad.co.uk/jobcentre-plus-travel-discount-card/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport

Last edited by D.Appleby on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

D.Appleby

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:12 am

Their rules are perverse, cruel, malevolent and vindictive, and always have been.
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Just for information.

Someone I know claims taxi fare re-inbursements from the Jobcentre and DWP providers.

S/he cannot stand for long or walk very far.

S/he was told repeatedly travel expenses could not be paid over several years. S/he prefers face to face meetings.

D.Appleby

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:46 am

oneman wrote:"He said he'd look into it, and as we were chatting the work coach next to us informed him that all fares are taken into account with your payment"

The above statement goes to show that they have no Idea what they are talking about. Why would they need to look into it if they know. Utter bullshit.
Next time you see him present him with your expenses and request to see a manager. Make an appointment if needed (more expenses) in the mean time email your area manager and send a copy to your MP. The area manager will probably ignore you but your MP will not. You may need to provide your name and address to contact your MP. but they will email you either way.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398695/jcp-district-managers.pdf

Also a case of Oneman, I'd say, that as long as they can pray on peoples lack of knowledge with reclaiming travel costs the office manager will hoping for a nice bonus effectively; having helped kept the DWP's reimbursement account down. I have to use a car and when i do to visit roach ville and add the Car Park ticket too Twisted Evil . Since, they dont require me to visit so much Very Happy This is where it might pay to have a big engine Twisted Evil .

Taking all this into consideration we can truly see, where they really want to help people and its not in their pockets so to speak Evil or Very Mad . They tried arguing the toss with me on expenses and I took in an appropriate FOI which clearly stated i was right and they were either wrong, or, taking the piss out of me for months. Appears they train their roaches at different levels and speeds all over the uk Evil or Very Mad .

jobberpw
jobberpw

oneman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:19 pm

That list of area managers is of no use now as it uses the old email address that no longer works. I have tried on several occasions to find a new list but I don't think one exists. Perhaps you can find one.
oneman
oneman

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:25 pm

oneman wrote:That list of area managers is of no use now as it uses the old email address that no longer works. I have tried on several occasions to find a new list but I don't think one exists. Perhaps you can find one.

I have had a similar experience, it seems the JCP 🚽 management don't like being contacted 🤨? When I recently contacted my local JCP manager🚽, it was forwarded to a generic DWP address???
Its almost like they don't want to be contacted, I feel the need for a FOI upon email address should be made . As the Roach clown is always going on about emails/online services. So a named manager is the very least! Every time I go grocery 🛒shopping on the printed receipt there is the manager's details. Yet the JCP 🚽 can't manage this...🙄
Pintel
Pintel

oneman and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:56 pm

I highly recommend that you do request a FOI about area managers & office managers. It would be very useful to everybody.
It's very easy to do and only takes about 20 days.
Let us know how you get on.
oneman
oneman

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 pm

Yes, definitely worth kicking up a stink oneman if you feel like it. A nice little letter to your MP should go down well. Make sure you clearly refer to that jobsworth roach by their name in all correspondence. I am sure they will appreciate the publicity being as they are doing such a wonderful job. 😃
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:03 pm

My MP is already involved and was the only person that did not ignore me. I just thanked him today and called him a very kind man. I must be losing my touch he's a fucking MP for Christ sake.
oneman
oneman

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:57 pm

No matter oneman. Good job and at least the MP I am guessing did something ?.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by bully3061 Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:31 pm

Our bus service near us had turned to crap. MK recently brought in how you book using your phone and a electric mini bus if lucky picks you up.
This is much cheaper but been un reliable. Yet to use myself but my niece had been let down a few times.
Dont think my nokia 30 series is capable of booking so if i was in the loop id be knackered and a bus trip would A cost a fortune and B be a day out as the service has been drastically cut.
Would add if you have a disability well worth checking with your local council if eligible for a bus pass.

bully3061

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:45 pm

I'd ask them to upgrade your phone Bully3061 at no cost to you if your referring to roach shop trips ?

Its not your fault any crappy bus services, or the lack of financial means to access their service.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:00 pm

DWP Central Freedom of Information Team
e-mail: freedom-of-information-request@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Our Ref: FOI2019/08387
14 March 2019

Dear,
Thank you for your Freedom of Information (FoI) request received on 27 February. You asked:
Please provide your policy in regard to the reimbursement of travel expenses to universal credit claimants attending the job centre for appointments. I am specifically interested in what  reimbursement arrangements are in place for universal credit claimants who do not live or work within walking distance of their nearest job centre and are therefore obliged to use public or private transport in order to attend appointments at their job centre in order to maintain a
universal credit claim.

Please provide a copy all documents relating to travel reimbursement claims.
Please provide a copy of the operating procedures that a job centre worker would need to perform in order to initiate a claim for travel expense reimbursement made by a universal credit
claimant.

DWP Response:
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request.
I can confirm that we do hold the Information requested.
The Work Coach should use their discretion Twisted Evil  to determine the attendance requirements at the jobcentre for their appointments, which can be weekly.

To support claimants to attend additional appointments, travelling expenses can be refunded.

Work Coaches can access the Flexible Support Fund in regard to the reimbursement of travel expenses to universal credit claimants attending the job centre for appointments.
Please find attached the guidance document ‘Flexible Support Fund’ that covers your request.

More info here:https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/556581/response/1329209/attach/html/2/Flexible%20Support%20Fund.pdf.html

FSF - Travel Expenses for Work Trials
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/107958/response/274897/attach/9/Travel%20Expenses%20for%20Work%20Trials.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Damian Hinds The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2017-04-13.70324.h

The reimbursement of travel costs is available to claimants when they are required to attend the jobcentre for appointments other than mandatory fortnightly signing appointments. In addition, those claiming Employment and Support Allowance and Income Support are not required to attend their local jobcentre on a regular basis. Jobseekers who have been claiming Universal Credit or Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than 13 weeks can also apply for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card which halves the cost of pay as you go bus fares.

So, it's clear from the above info.Take no crap Evil or Very Mad
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down