BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre?

2 posters

Go down

If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre? Empty If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre?

Post by Gallazz Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Specifically, if I moved to a new address which was closer to a different Jobcentre, could I continue to sign at my current Jobcentre, or would I just have to use whichever Jobcentre was nearest to the new address?

At present, I have no arrangement to move house, but it might be on the cards.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre? Empty Re: If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre?

Post by Non Deficere Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 am

Generally, you attend the Jobcentre linked to your postcode. You can ask to attend a Jobcentre of your choice, but it is an administrative decision and not a legal one. It is helpful to present good reasons for your choice.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre? Empty Re: If you move house do you have to sign on at the nearest Jobcentre?

Post by Gallazz Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks, ND. Although it's hypothetical at the moment, I think I might be able to present good reason.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Watch out. You say: "Sign". That makes me think you're on JSA. If this is the case, if you move address, that _might_ trigger a change of circumstances and you'd have to apply for UC instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:45 pm

A transfer to another office is not a change of circumstances in many cases.

https://www.housingrights.org.uk/news/natural-migration-UC
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 pm

I thought moving house only triggered natural migration to UC if you moved to a different local authority and consequently had to make a new claim for housing benefit (or rather, the housing element of UC). I live with a family member who already gets the housing element of UC, so wherever we move to, I don't think it makes a difference to my claim as I only get JSA and no benefit for housing costs. Is this correct?

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

It depends on the boundaries of that particular JCP. I'm on JSA and I live in centralBirmingham, my JCP is Birmingham Broad Street. If I move to Erdington (same council, Birmingham City Council) this will trigger a change of circumstances and my JSA will be migrated to UC as Erdington has its own JCP.

https://find-your-nearest-jobcentre.dwp.gov.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

So you think that just changing Jobcentres triggers natural migration, Miguel? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just not what I've heard, and I've seen a few documents on nm.

Edit: It doesn't sound unlikely either, because I've just looked at some DWP documents about transferring offices, which mention transferring the claim in the process. While this doesn't mean the claim closes and isn't the same as making a new claim, it makes sense that the Jobcentre would use it as an excuse to migrate my claim to UC, which they're probably eager to do.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down