BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Jobs I am capable of doing'

4 posters

Go down

'Jobs I am capable of doing' Empty 'Jobs I am capable of doing'

Post by Caker Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

This is another discussion topic: If the cc says 'I will apply for all jobs that I am capable of doing' who determines the 'jobs that I am capable of doing'?

I am just thinking of my own situation in which I have experience of one occupation but I am 'capable' of doing other things. However, I have found myself completely rejected (no interview, no acknowledgement, nothing at all) when applying for jobs that I could do easily but cannot demonstrate any experience of (because I don't have any). It is these such jobs that I am expected to apply for. I cannot tailor my CV to them because there is no experience for me to describe. If I leave off my real experience/employment (so as not to look 'too skilled' in a different area) then I am left with a blank sheet of paper and not a CV.

Would I attract a sanction for not applying for a particular job that had not come to my attention during my search, and had not been brought to my attention by my wc? In particular, if the wc believed that this was a 'job I am capable of doing' would I be able to rely upon the job description in finding aspects that would have meant I was not likely to be selected for an interview in any case?

I just wondered what other people do or think should be done.

Last edited by Caker on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more.)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

'Jobs I am capable of doing' Empty Re: 'Jobs I am capable of doing'

Post by Committed Claimant Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Caker:

If your CC says 'I will apply for all jobs that I am capable of doing' then you determine the 'jobs that you are capable of doing?’ for the purpose of fulfilling your obligations under your CC.

Should a potential employer to whom you apply for a job decide that you are not capable, or that there are other applicants more capable, that is for them to determine, as is showing you the courtesy of giving you an explanation. They may not necessarily question your capability, successful applicants are invariably selected based on suitability, which may very well include many of the attributes you mention in your example.

None of that will have any bearing on the fact that you fulfilled your commitment as per your CC.

This particular activity would be less open to question if it read:

'I will apply for all jobs that I find that I am capable of doing'

Then if a coach comes along and says s/he found a job that you should be capable of doing, you could claim that you didn't find that one if you couldn't find another reason for claiming that it actually was unsuitable.
Committed Claimant
Committed Claimant

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:03 pm

A difficult one!

Many people are capable of non-skilled jobs, but are there more suitable candidates who have the relevent skills, competencies etc.   Claimants are expected to take those actions that give them the BEST prospect of obtaining work.

(ii)the Secretary of State is satisfied that the claimant has taken all reasonable action for the purpose of obtaining paid work despite the number of hours that the claimant spends taking such action being lower than the expected number of hours per week; and

(b)that action gives the claimant the best prospects of obtaining work.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2013/9780111531938/regulation/95

I have used this argument many times too!
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Funnily enough, I found myself rejected for a 'job I was capable of doing' and because there was no one else to do it, I got a locum job in the same place. The interviewer was not best pleased to see the person s/he rejected, then doing the job competently.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks ND

@CC, so on that basis, if wc raises a doubt based on me not applying for some particular job (has happened before) then I could say that I was not aware of that particular job but I have applied for x number of other jobs (with evidence).
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Committed Claimant Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Quite so.
Committed Claimant
Committed Claimant

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 pm

I really thought they could only raise a doubt regarding a particular job if they had notified it to you.

And yes, if you say you weren't aware of the job, they can't prove otherwise.

Last edited by Gallazz on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:27 pm

A wc raised an ASE doubt against me (not recently) and cited 2 jobs not in my sector and that I had never heard of and possibly could not do anyway. I got it overturned by showing evidence of 6 jobs I had applied for, so clearly the ASE doubt was a poor effort.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:23 am

Watch out for suggested jobs that include training.  There is an Upper Tribunal case (can't put my hands on it just now) where a claimant refused a job which she was capable of doing with training, but she refused it because it was not on the list of jobs she was looking for within her old style Jovseeker's Agreement.  Hence, the JSA CC was introduced.

Customer Service and other key skills are very wide and will vary within different occupations.

Reference: https://www.helpscout.com/blog/customer-service-skills/
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:54 pm

That list looks familiar. I am sure that I have been supplied with a similar one at some point. silent
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down