BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban

Go down

Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban Empty Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Workers in the Midlands call for a ban on zero-hour contracts

11 Feb 2019

New TUC analysis finds zero-hour workers do double the night shifts and are paid on average £4 an hour less than other workers

https://www.tuc.org.uk/midlands/news/workers-midlands-call-ban-zero-hour-contracts

Zero-hours contracts: time to stamp them out

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/zero-hours-contracts-time-stamp-them-out?language=cy

Back to top Go down

Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban Empty Zero Hours Contracts Explained

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban Empty Re: Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban

Post by Caker Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 am

I would add that there is a common misconception that zero hours workers are not entitled to holiday pay. This is a myth, as all workers are entitled to the equivalent of an additional 12.07% of their pay as accrued holiday pay, even if they have only worked one shift for an employer.

This has been successfully tested in an employment tribunal.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban Empty Re: Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban

Post by Caker Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 am

From the same link:  (https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/zero-hours-contracts-time-stamp-them-out?language=cy)

Alex Collinson of TUC wrote:Last December, the government finally responded to the Taylor Review. We hoped that they’d use this response as an opportunity to stamp out these exploitative contracts. Instead, they are introducing a ‘right to request’ a more stable and predictable contract after six months in the job.

But a ‘right to request’ is no right at all. It provides workers with the option to ask, but no right to receive.

So, in effect, the government will be introducing nothing at all, as anyone has and always had a 'right to request' anything from their employer at any time, even if the employer is under no obligation to say yes.  pirat

This is just me examining the semantics of what has been reported. Employers must be laughing at this 'right to nothing'.
Zero-Hours Contracts: Workers in the Midlands call for a ban 1392310362

Last edited by Caker on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 am

Not recommending the original article, but see the 211 comments underneath, including:

"Zero hrs contract is modern day slavery"

Stories from staff on zero hour contracts
Posted by Andrea Bowman on Jun 09, 2015 | 211 comments

https://www.totaljobs.com/insidejob/stories-from-staff-on-zero-hour-contracts/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:48 pm

My personal experience is that I took on a ZHC in order to get experience in my sector. One of the reasons that I left was that the boss treated me like discarded tissue, telling me I was not needed with less than 24 hours notice when my replacement had been arranged for weeks in advance behind my back.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 pm

From the stories told in the comments, that sort of behaviour does not seem to be unusual.

Re holiday pay, I met agency workers some years ago who had not been told that they were eligible for holiday pay and therefore had not received any. The agency relied on people not knowing their rights.

Just seen this petition:

Ban zero-hours contracts

https://www.megaphone.org.uk/petitions/ban-zero-hours-contracts-3

Last edited by EffJay on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add a link)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down