BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment

3 posters

Go down

Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment  Empty Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment

Post by Non Deficere Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 am

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WM2LtUlm6QEJ:https://www.rnib.org.uk/sites/default/files/Claimant-commitment-top-tips.docx+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera

This factsheet contains useful tips to help you prepare for agreeing to your Claimant Commitment when claiming either Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit. This information will apply to you if you have been placed in the work-related requirement group (jobseeker) or if you have been found to have limited capability for work and placed in the work preparation requirement group.

What you need to know before signing a Claimant Commitment
Signing a Claimant Commitment means that you are agreeing to undertake certain actions to look for work. If you fail to carry out these actions Jobcentre Plus may suspend your benefits. This is called being sanctioned. To prevent this from happening it’s important that you tell your adviser at the Jobcentre whether your visual impairment causes you difficulties in looking for work.  
For example this may include:

difficulty getting to appointments
spending long hours on jobseeking activities
doing certain kind of jobs.

If you do have difficulties it’s important that you ask for them to be included in your Claimant Commitment.  
When providing you a service, Jobcentre Plus has a legal duty under the Equality Act 2010 to make reasonable adjustments for you if you are disabled.

Are you disabled under the Equality Act 2010?
If you are registered blind (also referred to as “severely sight impaired”) or partially sighted (“sight impaired”), then the Equality Act says that you are treated as automatically meeting the Equality Act’s definition of a disabled person.
If you are not registered as severely sight impaired or sight impaired, or do not meet the criteria for registration, then you could still be covered by the Equality Act if you can show that you meet the definition of “disabled”.

The Equality Act says that a disabled person is someone who has “a physical or mental impairment” which “has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

If you are unsure on whether you meet this definition, contact our Helpline by calling 0303 123 9999 or emailing helpline@rnib.org.uk.

How does the duty to make reasonable adjustments apply to your Claimant Commitment?
When you are agreeing to your Claimant Commitment you should consider what reasonable adjustments you may need because of your sight loss.  

Examples of reasonable adjustments that you could ask for may include:

varying or limiting types of work according to your sight loss
help with completing forms
help with using a computer
adapted computers or equipment
altering the time of your signing-on appointment
more flexible signing-on times
reducing the frequency of signing
reducing the number of job applications you need to make
changing the type or location of work
help with a referral to a disability employment adviser
referring you to the Access to Work programme
not sanctioning you for breaches of your Claimant Commitment which happened because of your needs related to your sight loss.

What to do before your meeting at Jobcentre Plus
If your blind or partially sighted and have been found fit for work, before you agree to your Claimant Commitment, we recommend that you consider how your disability may impact your ability to look for work as mentioned above.

Use the information in this factsheet and think about what adjustments may be relevant to your circumstances. Once you have done this you should complete the template letter below and bring this with you to your meeting at the Jobcentre Plus.

Template letter to provide to the Jobcentre Plus

Address:

Name:

Date:

National insurance number:
I have been advised by RNIB that as a disabled person, under the Equality Act 2010, I am entitled to reasonable adjustments to my Claimant Commitment.  

I am automatically considered disabled under the Act because I am certified as severely sight impaired/partially sighted.  

As a result of my sight loss I need the following reasonable adjustments:

(See the list of examples above)
Signature

Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment  Empty Re: Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment

Post by Brutus Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 am

As usual excellent information.
Thanks.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment  Empty Re: Top Tips - Your Claimant Commitment

Post by jobberpw Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Unfortunately in my area this dosent actually work 'If you do have difficulties it’s important that you ask for them to be included in your Claimant Commitment.  ''

Difficulties if health related are not added to peoples CC despite many asking them to be .The dwp listen to your difficulties and subject to whatever evidence someone provides right up to medical evidence they just add a note to your file and carry on asking people to apply for the same irrelevant unsuitable jobs week in week out.Thats been my experience. Crying or Very sad

The poster above shows a very good example with a person who has an extreme limitation for work, one would feel is quite self explanatory for dwp etc to take that all on board, but they never cease to amaze me with their deluded jobsworth mentality.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:37 pm

jobberpw wrote:Unfortunately in my area this dosent actually work 'If you do have difficulties it’s important that you ask for them to be included in your Claimant Commitment.  ''

Difficulties if health related are not added to peoples CC despite many asking them to be .The dwp listen to your difficulties and subject to whatever evidence someone provides right up to medical evidence they just add a note to your file and carry on asking people to apply for the same irrelevant unsuitable jobs week in week out.Thats been my experience. Crying or Very sad

The poster above shows a very good example with a person who has an extreme limitation for work, one would feel is quite self explanatory for dwp etc to take that all on board, but they never cease to amaze me with their deluded jobsworth mentality.

If you, or someone else is having difficulties please let us know if we can help.

Last edited by Non Deficere on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 am

When I renewed my CC I made sure I had all type of documentation with me.
I had a difficult coach at the time and I did anticipate objections.
To any of my request or objection she requested "evidence" and I had them.

I had medical letters, etc and I could staunch in advance her attempts.

I think that more than quality it is important have something to shovel under their noses. They do not have in any case, the time or inclination to argue about how reliable or pertinent the type of support documentation is when presented, but presenting it is a big help.

Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 am

Some RB members have recently migrated to UC, so I thought it might be helpful to expand the information within this thread.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 am

Tips from CA
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/prepare-for-your-interview/

Plan what you'll say at the interview

Your work coach will want to know about your skills and the type of job you're looking for. If you have a job, you might be expected to look for a better paid job or increase your hours of work. They might ask you:

what qualifications and work experience you have - take your CV or any training or qualification certificates to the interview
   how much you want to earn - tell them what you've earned in previous jobs if you want to look for work that pays a certain amount
   how many hours you can work each week - give your work coach a good reason if you can't work full-time, like if you've got health problems or caring responsibilities
   where you could work - explain anything that limits where you can travel, for example if you don't have a car

You can get careers advice and help looking for work from the National Careers Service.
Telling your work coach about your circumstances

You should plan to tell your work coach about anything that affects your ability to work or look for work. Some of these things might be hard to talk about, but it's worth discussing them as they affect what you'll have to do to get Universal Credit.

You should tell them if you:

have children - if you live with your partner, you'll need to nominate a main carer (you'll automatically be the main carer if you're a single parent)
   have a disability or health condition
   look after someone with a disability
   find it difficult to read or write
   are homeless
   are being treated for a drug or alcohol problem
   have to do jury service
   have been a victim of domestic violence in the last 6 months - you might not have to take on any work-related requirements for 13 weeks
   have a partner, child or young person who has died in the last 6 months - a child is anyone under 16 or someone under 20 who's in education or training

At your interview

Your work coach will tell you what 'work-related activity group' you'll be in. This will determine what 'work-related activity' you have to do to get UC. These are tasks like applying for jobs or updating your CV.

You'll discuss your situation with your work coach and be put into a 'work-related activity group'. Each group has different tasks you'll need to do to get ready for work.

Check your work coach has put you in the right work-related activity group. If you get put into the wrong group and struggle with the tasks, your Universal Credit could be cut - called a 'sanction'.
Signing your claimant commitment

Your work coach will put your work-related activities on an agreement called your 'claimant commitment'. You'll need to sign and agree to this to get Universal Credit.

Don't sign your claimant commitment if you can't do the things listed on it - your Universal Credit payment could be affected. You can ask to change your claimant commitment if there's anything on it you can't do.

Your work coach has to consider your requests and be reasonable. If they refuse to change it, you can ask to have their decision reviewed. You can write a message asking for a review in your online account.

If you refuse to sign your claimant commitment at the interview, you'll have 7 days to agree to it. You claim will be refused if you don't agree in this time. You should still ask them to look at your claimant commitment again if you don't agree with what they're asking you to do.

Revocation/Variation of UCCC template letter, which can easily be adapted.
https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t3364-revocation-variation-of-uc-claimant-commitment-template-letter?highlight=revocation
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down