BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid questions from work roach...

+6
TheFinnster
Brutus
Caker
Mary_FV
ABC
Tarquin Flotsam
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stupid questions from work roach... - Page 2 Empty Re: Stupid questions from work roach...

Post by Caker Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am

So, the best way to counter this attack, IMHO, is respond to the words and ignore the tone (I know that is hard when you feel threatened and/or intimidated).

"So, how's the jobsearch going?" (in a sneering tone).

Response "very well thank you for asking"  sunny  (in a very blythe tone). This answers the question but reveals nothing at all.

The roach will then have to ask further questions. If these questions are met with equally blythe responses, then that is sure to irritate them  bom . You will have annoyed the roach while not saying anything that s/he could report as offensive/unacceptable.

Disclaimer: this tactic could goad the roach. Proceed with caution.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Stupid questions from work roach... - Page 2 Empty Re: Stupid questions from work roach...

Post by Absolut Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Caker wrote:Disclaimer: this tactic could goad the roach. Proceed with caution.

Indeed. It can be seen as 'lack of participation or co-operation" in an interview and may result in a referral for a sanction. Answer questions, but do so in a polite, detached and factual manner. I'll point out that we are only required to answer questions about "remaining in or obtaining work". Any other questions are outside their remit.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Without wanting to defend the JCP staff, I would think important to consider that they themselves are in a boiler-room situation.
It is clear that the DWP is bent on reducing their numbers and a selection process is underway to favour the nastiest (ie the ones that delivers the higher rate of sanctions).
Wanting to be a bad person is usually very demanding and exact a heavy toll on the individual.
This dehumanisation process, I suspect, is what propel the mercurial and dichotomic behaviour so often observed.

I think perhaps the best tactic is the one of the con-man: pretending to agree while diverting and stalling for time.
Personally I think confrontation (and I too I am often unable to rain my hostility) should be left mainly for written replies rather than drag through a duel of will with our tormentors.
They have the power we should have the with to divert it.
But it is not always possible.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue May 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Also to bear in mind is that roaches can be annoyed if you have done/shown appropriate job search activity. It makes you more difficult to sanction and they have to think of other tactics to meet their targets. It is all part of the 'hassle off benefits for an off-flow outcome'. Evil or Very Mad
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_FV Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

DWP staff/contractors are subjected to the same psychological coercion as benefit claimants to achieve government objectives.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/21823

I have been been on the receiving end of the psychobabble when representing claimants directly.  The atmosphere often feel negative and robotic, as if some DWP staff are programmed to follow a script.  This is not always the case when dealing with older staff.

I would suggest that a mere 20% reject the DWP policies imposed and some choose to resign or are sacked due to failure to comply.

Most businesses favour young people as they are are more malleable, long standing employees are less so.

Last edited by Mary_FV on Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Mary_FV
Mary_FV

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Good point Mary.

I am sure there are JC staff who would prefer to be helping claimants as part of their job. It is sad that the system does not support that.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarquin Flotsam Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Mary_FV wrote:The atmosphere often feel negative and robotic, as if some DWP staff are programmed to follow a script.  This is not always the case when dealing with older staff.

I would suggest that a mere 20% reject the DWP policies imposed and some choose to resign or are sacked due to failure to comply.
You're so right Mary, and you've heard many of my WC's/tormentors seemingly quoting from the same old script. Definitely the older staff are much more open minded and will usually leave claimants alone if they believe they're doing as much as possible seeking employment. The really good work coach I had the first few months at my previous jobcentre didn't mention CWP or courses the whole time I had the pleasure of seeing him, but then he just "disappeared". I fear he was either sacked or he resigned, other staff at the jobcentre would be very reluctant to give me a straight answer whenever I enquired about him...

I get what Brutus is saying, I guess they're scared of losing their jobs and a good few may hate having to do/say as ordered from up above. But when it comes to confrontation, 9/10 it's coming from their end not the claimaints... Most times I've managed to keep my cool when dealing with the more abusive/bullshitting (usually younger) roaches, though "I" (you know who that is Mary!) tested my patience many a time and it was all I could do to rein in my temper with him....
Tarquin Flotsam
Tarquin Flotsam

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 am

Tarquin Flotsam wrote:The really good work coach I had the first few months at my previous jobcentre [just] "disappeared".

The chap I had for the 12 months prior to my going on the WP also disappeared. I eventually asked my current roach where he had gone. She'd forgotten that he used to work there and didn't know where he'd gone, only that he'd left, of his own accord. This didn't surprise me in the slightest. He was a lovely bloke and I knew he wouldn't be able to hit the targets he'd been set or be nasty to claimants. It just wasn't in his nature.

Brutus wrote:a selection process is underway to favour the nastiest (ie the ones that delivers the higher rate of sanctions).

Yes indeed. I've looked at their selection criteria and it's geared towards candidate who are devoid of empathy. My work coach doesn't even try to stay within the JSA rules. She feels she has the absolute right to break the law, lie and harass me whenever she feels like it. This isn't 100% of the time, just when she's feeling the need to have a bite to eat, except I don't taste so good and she has to have a rest before she tries to take another bite  Twisted Evil

She has tried the following on me, particularly since I had my disability recognised on my Claimant Commitment:

Caker wrote:It is all part of the 'hassle off benefits for an off-flow outcome'

Yes, my work coach doesn't care how I get off her books as long as I do so.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed May 17, 2017 11:03 am

To back up the general comments that the vast majority of JCP workers are coerced into finding reasons to sanction, I found the following comment on RightsNet Forum. It says it all:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11271/P15

Phil R:
Whilst working as a personal advisor in a Manchester jobentre, I was constantly reprimanded for not reaching the departments “expectation” that 4% of claimants would not be fulfilling their commitments. This was a year or two before PIP’s really hit the big time. From 2013 onwards, not only were individuals put on PIP’s for not sanctioning enough claimants, but entire jobcentre’s were as well. As far as I know, they still are.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by gizajob1 Wed May 31, 2017 11:32 am

One question i always get asked is have any of my applications received a reply and if i say no am asked why.They know i can't answer on behalf of any company that decides not to reply to me but it gives them the excuse to try and put me on some course to help with my CV etc.
gizajob1
gizajob1

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 pm

gizajob1 wrote:One question i always get asked is have any of my applications received a reply and if i say no am asked why.They know i can't answer on behalf of any company that decides not to reply to me but it gives them the excuse to try and put me on some course to help with my CV etc.

Perhaps you need to respond with what you have just told us. It is perfectly reasonable answer to their stupid question.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 pm

gizajob1 wrote:One question i always get asked is have any of my applications received a reply and if i say no am asked why.They know i can't answer on behalf of any company that decides not to reply to me but it gives them the excuse to try and put me on some course to help with my CV etc.

I usual say I got an automated reply, saying 'if you haven't heard from us in 4 week time, assume you are unsuccessful'. So the company have sent a reply, Gizajob1 scratch
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gizajob1 Wed May 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Yeah i get them if you haven't heard by such and such replys, it used to get me angry when asked stupid questions until i realised they have a script of questions to try and trick me into agreeing whatever course they have planned will help me.
gizajob1
gizajob1

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 31, 2017 12:43 pm

......I think I would act dumb and say 'sorry, I don't understand the question'. WCs hate that Twisted Evil
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 pm

If you haven't received a reply then you can't know why unless you are psychic. Evil or Very Mad

I usually say something along the lines of there being hundreds of applicants for every job and they can't reply to all of them.

I once looked over my data and found that 80% of employers didn't even acknowledge receipt of my application. Maybe they all fell into a black hole? lol
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_FV Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Then inane questions and psycho babble fall from the top of the tree!

I have seen a number of interesting complaints signed off by Sandra Lambert (acting as the Director General).

The DWP hierarchy loved her so much she was promoted!  Evil or Very Mad

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/pauline-got-promoted-dwp-management-psychobabble-is-turning-jobcentres-into-cults/
Mary_FV
Mary_FV

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Absolut wrote:If you haven't received a reply then you can't know why unless you are psychic. Evil or Very Mad

I usually say something along the lines of there being hundreds of applicants for every job and they can't reply to all of them.

I once looked over my data and found that 80% of employers didn't even acknowledge receipt of my application. Maybe they all fell into a black hole? lol

Still Absolut, I used to have a folder full of job application rejections letters depressing stuff pale . I am not sure why I kept them, I suppose it was that someone had bothered to reply to me. 🐰

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGaHpk-dNVQ

Last edited by El-dudeareno on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra)
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:56 pm

El-dudeareno wrote:I am not sure why I kept them, I suppose it was that someone had bothered to reply to me.

Very Happy Regarding rejection letters - I keep mine just in case the same job comes up. If I am then told to apply for it by the DWP I can show that I was formerly rejected and the chances of that changing in a new application or new interview are very low.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I just get rejection emails. I cannot remember the last letter I actually received. Neutral
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by gizajob1 Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Its many years since i got any response by letter, if i ever get a reply these days its email but even thats rare as normally my applications are completely ignored.Obviously this is my fault and any old course the twats can send me on will help improve my chances.
gizajob1
gizajob1

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 am

gizajob1 wrote:Obviously this is my fault and any old course the twats can send me on will help improve my chances.

cheers lol!
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:44 am

You know Absolut the faster I run on this wheel the further I will go forward in life. geek

Stupid questions from work roach... - Page 2 Health-beauty-treadmill-exercise_machines-hamster-hamster_wheels-inventions-jcon4268_low
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Haha I like this one as well:

Stupid questions from work roach... - Page 2 001_th10
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm

This thread is now 2 pages long, so I need to lock it. Please feel free to start a new thread on the same topic. If anyone starts a new thread on the same topic, please label it 'PART 2'.

Thanks
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2