BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

job interview dilemma

4 posters

Go down

job interview dilemma  Empty job interview dilemma

Post by Caker Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

Just interested in other people's thoughts.

I applied for a job in December and the application deadline closed at the end of December. In January I was emailed an interview invite (for this pm) which I accepted in good time. I am due to go to the interview later today, but this morning, I discovered the same/ identical job had been advertised. The contact for the new vacancy is the name of one of the interviewers I am supposed to be seeing today.

Either there are 2 vacancies.
Or there has been a mistake.
Or, they have already decided I am not the one, but are going through the interview motions for 'equal opportunity' pretences.

I have already attended a 'false' interview recently. This upcoming one involves travel and I don't want another wild goose chase.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by Caker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

job interview dilemma  Empty Re: job interview dilemma

Post by Absolut Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 am

As you've taken the time and effort to apply and have proof of an invite to an interview it might be best to go along and then politely ask if there are 2 posts on offer? If the answer is no you are within your rights to ask why the post has been re-advertised prior to your interview.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Good advice. Thanks.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 am

On a similar note, I went to one interview I followed the Hr assistant in the room. And could see the reflection in the window the hr manager shaking their head from side to side in a negative way  Evil or Very Mad . And yet they kept me going for 45x mins wasting my time, when if they didn't want to employ me they could of cut the interview down to down to 5x mins. I dare say we could get a whole thread of interviews and the problems people have had. Rolling Eyes
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:24 pm

I went to an interview a week before the one mentioned in the above post. It seemed to go well and I was asked when I could start (not offered the job on the spot).

The interviewer said they would ring by a particular day, but then didn't, then the following week rang to tell me that I did not get the job. Get this, they said:-

1) they were in no doubt about my ability to do the job. They thought I lacked staff management experience (staff management was not mentioned in the job spec' btw), I was meant to just know it was in the job  confused
2) they did not like the answer to the question of which areas I need more training, as they thought other areas rather than the one I mentioned.  Rolling Eyes  
3) they were not impressed by my application form because of lack of detail in the 'supporting information' section. Suspect (so why interview me then  Question   No )
4) they were short of candidates and 'felt I deserved a chance' because I am local pig  (patronising or what Question  ).

What a demoralising experience Sad

Last edited by Caker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add more)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 am

I still get occasional interviews but I normally do not attend them.
I cultivate the hypothesis that for whatever, and probably irrational, reasons the human resource departments send interview invitations to fulfil quotas and carry on through some form of standardized procedure, mostly in order to justify their existence.

Most jobs, are given to people of which they, the employer, have some kind of knowledge even if they do not fulfil the usual outlandish work specifications.
Keeping themselves busy assure some sort of self-created niche.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 am

Interviews are costly (time and money) for candidates but for the interviewers they cost nothing (unless it is a small business - then recruitment can be expensive).

For a large organisation (such as an NHS trust), there is no cost, either in time or money, to the staff performing interviews;  they can treat interviewing folk as a petty amusement / pass-time / jolly, especially staff in the non acute sectors (not dealing with in-patients or emergencies).

I suspect that could have happened here. The job was in a non acute service within the NHS. Why else would interviewers choose to interview a candidate if they were unimpressed by the application (as is claimed) Question Exclamation

This incident has just left me feeling so demoralised that I now feel suspicious about the motives of other interviewers in case the phenomena of fake interviews for amusement, is endemic. I suspect it might be. Sad
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down