BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

5 posters

Go down

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"? Empty Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

Post by Archangel Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:59 pm

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

It's about an unemployed man called Shelley, who is able to avoid looking for a job, due to the lax nature of the equivalent to the DWP in the 1980s - the DHSS. He finds it easy to avoid looking for a job, as in those days there was no conditionality or sanctions attached to claiming "Unemployment Benefit".

It is very accurate, actually. I was unemployed all through the 1980s, and it was easy to avoid work. Thatcher largely left the unemployed to get on with it.

This is not to say that I avoided work, like Shelley did. I was young and looking for work, but there was no pressure put on me to do so.

Also in the 1980s, the DHSS provided grants to the unemployed to buy furniture and curtains etc if they were moving into a new flat or house. There were also grants for driving lessons to make you more employable. And grants to buy a suit for a job interview. And many other grants available.

To young unemployed people now, this will seem like another universe.

Archangel

Caker, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"? Empty Re: Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

Post by Ignatius Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:13 pm

To a lot of politicians it's less another universe and more the stuff of nightmares.

Ignatius

Pintel and Archangel like this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"? Empty Re: Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 pm

I certainly do #Archangel. There's a few clips on the Y-Tube. Seems it didn't make it to dvd. Remember the JCP 🚽, work roaches where refered to as 'Inspectors' in one episode'. Hey, seems they where more honest back then.🤨. Wouldn't be made today, be seen to glamourizing the Dole...

While we are on a trip down memory lane📺, of Classic tv shows. I'd cast me ⚓ anchor, with 'Bread' and 'Boys from the Black Stuff' ( both set in Merseyside?).. Again another portrail of U/€ life in the 1980's. From the cradle to the grave 🪦.😵💫

Pintel
Pintel

Archangel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:32 pm

Archange wrote:Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"?

It's about an unemployed man called Shelley, who is able to avoid looking for a job, due to the lax nature of the equivalent to the DWP in the 1980s - the DHSS. He finds it easy to avoid looking for a job, as in those days there was no conditionality or sanctions attached to claiming "Unemployment Benefit".

It is very accurate, actually. I was unemployed all through the 1980s, and it was easy to avoid work. Thatcher largely left the unemployed to get on with it.

This is not to say that I avoided work, like Shelley did. I was young and looking for work, but there was no pressure put on me to do so.

Also in the 1980s, the DHSS provided grants to the unemployed to buy furniture and curtains etc if they were moving into a new flat or house. There were also grants for driving lessons to make you more employable. And grants to buy a suit for a job interview. And many other grants available.

To young unemployed people now, this will seem like another universe.

Sorry No. Archaengl, I'm only 28 and have only been that age for a long time now.

The grants are still there and the council gives them out but nobody gets them. It was for basic items when setting up an empty home after homelessness and other situations. I forget the name.

Edit: Its called "Local Welfare Assistance Scheme" But every Council change the name so people can't find it and not apply for it.
It's better known as the house hold support fund. "£842m has been made available to County Councils and Unitary Authorities in England to support those most in need and to help with global inflationary challenges and the significantly rising cost of living via the Household Support Fund (“The Fund”). This funding covers the period 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 inclusive"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/household-support-fund-guidance-for-local-councils/1-april-2023-to-31-march-2024-household-support-fund-guidance-for-county-councils-and-unitary-authorities-in-england

Last edited by oneman on Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
oneman
oneman

Pintel and Archangel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:35 pm

I further like to cast my net's 🪝 about bygone tv. I often wonder what investigative Current Affairs shows, such as 'World in Action', 'Panarama', 'Cook Report ( Rodger Cook- Central television 📺.). Would be produced about today, in there same 1980' format. Of investigation journalism, of major issues. I can just see Mr R Cook, on an inflatable dinghy 🛁 in the Chanel. Microphone and a lifejacket asking some probing questions to individuals. Cross the waterways illegally.🤬...

Pintel
Pintel

oneman and Archangel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:41 pm

Say #Oneman. Have you been to the Fountain of Youth 🧐

"Sorry No. Archaengl, I'm only 28 and have only been that age for a long time now."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiKFYthv6o&pp=ygUocGlyYXRlcyBvZiB0aGUgY2FyaWJiZWFuIGtlaXRoIHJpY2hhcmRzIA%3D%3D
Pintel
Pintel

oneman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 pm

Pintel wrote:Say #Oneman. Have you been to the Fountain of Youth 🧐

"Sorry No. Archaengl, I'm only 28 and have only been that age for a long time now."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiKFYthv6o&pp=ygUocGlyYXRlcyBvZiB0aGUgY2FyaWJiZWFuIGtlaXRoIHJpY2hhcmRzIA%3D%3D

Sorry Pintel. I think that film had a PG-13 age rating and as you know I don't have a father. Very Happy
oneman
oneman

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:14 pm

When no one was offended by them/their. Which one were you asked whether you fancied from a friend then? Times were so gay then!!!Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"? ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F9d%2Fab%2Fc3%2F9dabc3228d71714ab1a03930fee8893f

Apparently. Rolling Eyes

I'm all into respect for pro nouns and often wonder about them/their Titties.
oneman
oneman

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

Pintel wrote:I further like to cast my net's 🪝 about bygone tv. I often wonder what investigative Current Affairs shows, such as 'World in Action', 'Panarama', 'Cook Report ( Rodger Cook- Central television 📺.). Would be produced about today, in there same 1980' format. Of investigation journalism, of major issues. I can just see Mr R Cook, on an inflatable dinghy 🛁 in the Chanel. Microphone and a lifejacket asking some probing questions to individuals. Cross the waterways illegally.🤬...

I can't think of any shows like that now, that would investigate corruption and injustice in the welfare system.

Archangel

oneman and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:45 pm

I remember 🤔, these types of 📺shows. Went after some major💪 criminals. Maybe they believe the Serious Crime Units, would deal with them. Or maybe in this day and age, the program producer's, would be worried about some civil liberties ❄court action against them. From these alledged criminals 🤨.
Pintel
Pintel

oneman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Pintel wrote:I remember 🤔, these types of 📺shows. Went after some major💪 criminals. Maybe they believe the Serious Crime Units, would deal with them. Or maybe in this day and age, the program producer's, would be worried about some civil liberties ❄court action against them. From these alledged criminals 🤨.

Arr. The days when shame was bigger than any imprisonment.
oneman
oneman

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:31 pm

I thought it was more to do with having the 🎥 camera, shoved in your face. And the threat of violence 👊, from these ruffians...

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:40 pm

Pintel wrote:I thought it had more to do with having the 🎥 camera, shoved in your face. And the threat of violence 👊, from these ruffians...

What ruffians... do you mean? The researchers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vuELSXH6Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wO4GDi42UI&pp=ygUXZGFubnkgZHllciBnZXRzIHB1bmNoZWQ%3D
oneman
oneman

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:03 pm

The subjects of the programmes #Oneman.

Whilst I admire Mr Dyer, for meeting these fella's. He isn't investigating them for a possible criminal court action?
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:26 pm

Pintel wrote:The subjects of the programmes #Oneman.

Whilst I admire Mr Dyer, for meeting these fella's. He isn't investigating them for a possible criminal court action?

A bit like a DWP sanction Tribunal then? Crying or Very sad
oneman
oneman

Back to top Go down

Post by Intincroi Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 pm

oneman wrote:
Pintel wrote:The subjects of the programmes #Oneman.

A bit like a DWP sanction Tribunal then? Crying or Very sad
Very Happy Laughing

That sounds about right!

Intincroi

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:42 pm

Does anyone remember the 1980s TV comedy show "Shelley"? 27-memes-that-will-only-be-funny-if-you-remember-the-80s-and-90s

Excellent.

What's a meme!
oneman
oneman

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:06 pm

If your Brain-storming ideas here about show's....
How about a fly on the wall drama, following some DWP 🚽 surveillance serf's. Harrasing some disabled claimant's, or single mother's, whilst ignoring the major players....😵💫

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t4961-dwp-hire-surveillance-officers-to-spy-on-universal-credit-claimants
Pintel
Pintel

Archangel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:17 pm

Pintel?
We have done that one.

Are you ok?

I ask because I could not give a shit. Obviously drunken
oneman
oneman

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:15 pm

All Ship shape and Bristol fashion... Thanks #Oneman....😋

Pintel
Pintel

oneman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down