BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefit to stop after 12 months

5 posters

Go down

Benefit to stop after 12 months  Empty Benefit to stop after 12 months

Post by Caker Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am

Caker
Caker

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Benefit to stop after 12 months  Empty Re: Benefit to stop after 12 months

Post by Ignatius Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:55 pm

The small print of this big idea suggests it's political grandstanding, aiming to look tough for those who really do believe you can just walk into a jobcentre and receive thousands in benefits for doing absolutely nothing.

In practice, this idea probably won't get too far. The bit that wasn't as headline grabbing talked about people needing good reasons for not taking jobs and not being selective in the jobs they applied for if they didn't want benefits stopping after a year.

I read this as maybe yet another attempt at long term workfare. Anyone still unemployed after 12 months would be farmed out to a provider who in turn would farm them out to work for their benefits. A great big stick to force people into any old job. As usual for politicians they overlook the salient point that you can't force employers to give people a job.

Ignatius

Caker, scratch and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Intincroi Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:21 pm

I'd like to know how they work with people like myself, who are expected to look for work but have long term, permanent health conditions, but not severe enough to warrant a claim for PIP/ESA/whatever it's called these days.

I've been told by both doctors and job centre staff that I wouldn't be able to pass a medical in a month of Sundays. So that puts me in the awkward of being seen as turning down jobs due to my health conditions. Well those wankers told I'd be wasting my time claiming sickness benefits, yet expect me to claim a benefit where I declare myself as fit for work despite my existing health problems.

I just feel like I'm being forced into the gutter.

Intincroi

scratch, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fordcortina1970 Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 pm

Ignatius wrote:The small print of this big idea suggests it's political grandstanding, aiming to look tough for those who really do believe you can just walk into a jobcentre and receive thousands in benefits for doing absolutely nothing.

In practice, this idea probably won't get too far. The bit that wasn't as headline grabbing talked about people needing good reasons for not taking jobs and not being selective in the jobs they applied for if they didn't want benefits stopping after a year.

I read this as maybe yet another attempt at long term workfare. Anyone still unemployed after 12 months would be farmed out to a provider who in turn would farm them out to work for their benefits. A great big stick to force people into any old job. As usual for politicians they overlook the salient point that you can't force employers to give people a job.

I've been telling them for years that it's not the Jobcentre or these so called work programmes that can get you a job, it's the employer if they want you and someone like me who has no skills or work history for the last 28 years will never be able to get a job. I've had an employer phone me up wanting to know my work history, I told them that I had no work history in nearly 30 years, they then asked me if I had been in prison for a number of years. LOL.
fordcortina1970
fordcortina1970

jobberpw, Pintel, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by designergas Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am

fordcortina1970 wrote:
Ignatius wrote:The small print of this big idea suggests it's political grandstanding, aiming to look tough for those who really do believe you can just walk into a jobcentre and receive thousands in benefits for doing absolutely nothing.

I've been telling them for years that it's not the Jobcentre or these so called work programmes that can get you a job, it's the employer if they want you and someone like me who has no skills or work history for the last 28 years will never be able to get a job. I've had an employer phone me up wanting to know my work history, I told them that I had no work history in nearly 30 years, they then asked me if I had been in prison for a number of years. LOL.

Prison😂 I took out all my work experience the advisor said what happened in the last ten years? I said woken up from a coma.

designergas

Caker, jobberpw, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down