BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances

+4
The Catwoman
Topaz
Pintel
jobberpw
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances - Page 2 Empty Re: Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances

Post by Ignatius Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:23 pm

You shouldn't need a Fit Note but for peace of mind it might be worth asking your GP for one tomorrow just in case.

Ignatius

oneman and Absolut like this post

Back to top Go down

Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances - Page 2 Empty Re: Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances

Post by oneman Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:28 pm

I have had the government website changed to incorporate a more comprehensive list of changes that need to be reported to the DWP.
Surprised they were so quick! They probably recognize my name now and know not to mess about. Laughing

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefits-change-circumstances
oneman
oneman

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:31 pm

Ignatius wrote:You shouldn't need a Fit Note but for peace of mind it might be worth asking your GP for one tomorrow just in case.
I would definitely get one as they are then required to make reasonable adjustments regarding your circumstances. Well at least till next Wednesday. Evil or Very Mad
oneman
oneman

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:36 pm

On the previous page I posted a link to "Universal Credit and you" from gov.uk which is dated April 2023.

Section 1.4 states:
'Easements' - reducing or removing work-related requirements...
Bereavement
You will not need to do any work-related activity within 6 months of the death of:
your partner
a child or 'qualifying young person' who you were responsible for."

While I would get a Fit Note, I would request the above easements separately. The last thing anyone needs in this situation is WC thinking 28 days of Fit Note and then a WCA when their own rules provide there is no need for one.

Ignatius

Absolut and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 am

Ignatius wrote:Section 1.4 states:
'Easements' - reducing or removing work-related requirements...
Bereavement
You will not need to do any work-related activity within 6 months of the death of:
your partner

Yet there is nowhere on the UC claim form to even indicate that such a thing might have occurred when first applying. I've had to put it in the journal.  

The last thing anyone needs in this situation is WC thinking 28 days of Fit Note and then a WCA when their own rules provide there is no need for one.

Exactly. I will go to the interview and see what happens first.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, Ignatius and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:02 am

Do WCs ever reply to journal entries?

Ignore the above, I got a reply.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, The Catwoman, Ignatius and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 am

We all hope their reply was satisfactory.

You will sadly not be the first or last person making a UC claim in this situation. Like you say, the claim form should recognise bereavement as grounds for a claim. The 6 months of no work search requirements are a rare bit of humanity in the system. Putting the usual obstacles in the way at a time when people really don't need any more stress is very typical of the DWP.

Ignatius

oneman, Absolut and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppet1970 Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:56 am

Ignatius wrote:We all hope their reply was satisfactory.

You will sadly not be the first or last person making a UC claim in this situation. Like you say, the claim form should recognise bereavement as grounds for a claim. The 6 months of no work search requirements are a rare bit of humanity in the system. Putting the usual obstacles in the way at a time when people really don't need any more stress is very typical of the DWP. I

Sorry for your loss.
Nothing good comes out of DWP. I had the same exact issue finding employment; they were finding any means to get me over to universal credit due to a change of circumstances. Even went as far as saying I didn't require the extra money on universal credit, so you better off signing off benefits completely; they are just heartless, no empathy, just like the restart, nothing you can say to them; it's their fucked up mindset they expect you don't have rights anymore do what they can.
Told. My JCP roach staying on JSA wait for letter. She finally shut the fuck up.

Muppet1970

oneman, Absolut and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Absolut wrote:Do WCs ever reply to journal entries?

Ignore the above, I got a reply.
Hope it's good news. The last thing you need is more upset.
Edit:

How are you hun?
oneman
oneman

The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:40 pm

oneman wrote:Hope it's good news. The last thing you need is more upset.

I was making sure they knew to see me on the ground floor. They do.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:50 pm

How are you hun?

Sorry, I missed that bit. I don't know what to say other than it's ok that I'm not ok, if that makes sense.

Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:10 pm

Absolut wrote:
How are you hun?

Sorry, I missed that bit. I don't know what to say other than it's ok that i'm not ok, if that makes sense.  

You are not ok but you are with friends Absolut. It's fine to be not OK. We know you are not ok, because you started answering things in the daytime. not like you.
We care and worry about you a lot and need to know when you are not ok.

It was you who dragged me out of my manic/depressive psychosis to get back on here and help you. We care, a lot (Faith no more. 1985. The group name, says it all.)
(The pedant in me could not resist, Sorry.)
Don't ever forget that. We are here to help and support you. Healing takes longer and only time can help with that. Its a bitch and hurts. Sorry if the time is not quick enough.
These things hurt for a long time and you never forget but time does heal.

We have not disregarded you, we love you, and don't forget that you are needed and very important to us.

I've gone all tits up with doing this again. I knew it was to soon . Long as your ok, hun,
Absolut.

Last edited by oneman on Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : having a moment again)
oneman
oneman

Absolut, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 pm

It makes perfect sense that you know it's ok not to be ok.

You said earlier you are having to deal with all of this on your own in real life 😱. If you have any other queries, not just DWP related, about all the awful but necessary admin that has to be done at this time, please ask. I'm sure people on here won't mind trying to help if you need to take a rest from the enormity of it all.

Ignatius

oneman and Absolut like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:57 pm

I can't begin to fathom the depth of sorrow you're experiencing after the loss of your husband last week. It's an unimaginably difficult time, and I want you to know that my heart aches for you.
That's a lie but I do find myself thinking about how you are feeling, every hour of the day and that is not a lie.

Grieving is a unique and personal journey, and it's completely okay not to be okay. It hurts.  The pain must be overwhelming, and I want you to feel supported during this challenging period. Your strength and resilience are truly admirable. With the ongoing pressures, from DWP.

Although I've only experienced the loss of a best friend when I was young, I can only imagine the profound impact of losing a life partner. Your feelings are valid, and I'm here to offer whatever support and comfort you may need.

I remember the kindness and support you've shown me in the past, and now, it's my turn to be here for you. I know healing takes time, and there's no set timeline for moving through grief. Please be patient with yourself.
It is never forgotten, unfortunately, but it does get a lot better and understandable.  Future memories still hurt though and bring it all back. Not sure how to help.

Basically, this is life-shattering and will take time to get over. This is mind-changing and will truly fuck your head up. You will do daft things and lose control Time heals But that does not help now sorry.
I got a little suicidal about 4 weeks after don't let the depression get you. You have friends who care. (even if we are strangers)

We haven't forgotten about you; in fact, we care, more deeply for you. If you ever need to talk, share memories, or simply need us by your side.

Then contact your local MP because we are all in this together and this is what you pay for. LOL  bounce  bounce  cheers  Very Happy

That is what we pay for. They are here for you and are the
Paid professionals you need to speak to!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sad  Suspect

We need you back no matter how hard it hurts. Some people struggle on here!

Sending you heartfelt sympathy and a warm embrace during this difficult time.

Sorry. Can  I take back the warm embrace? I need the heat in my own house. The cost of capitalism and things ARE KILLING US, ALL

With love,
Oneman.

PS. anytime.
oneman
oneman

Absolut and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:23 pm

Thanks so much everyone for the lovely messages of support. I really do appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and wishes. I am taking each day 1 hour at a time and so far I've got through 9 days when I didn't think I'd be able to get through 9 hours. Thankfully the people in my immediate neighbourhood have rallied around me, much to my surprise, and I have people I can call on. I am aware not to self-isolate right now. Reading posts on here about the problems others have with the DWP does take my mind away from Mr A's absence. If I can help others if I will. Unfortunately the grief comes in waves so I'm not always around at the right time to be of any use.

Oneman: I went to see Faith No More live when they switched singer to Mike Patton. God I fancied the pants off that man!  Very Happy I saw them live twice after that. When I went into our local record shop to get The Real Thing they had to order it as they'd never heard of it. Ah, the good old days, when this bloody country wasn't such a mess.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, jobberpw, Pintel, Ignatius and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:28 pm

Yay for Absolut's neighbours.

The waves of grief is all too true. I've found it isn't a linear process of working through consecutive stages, but an all consuming mess for which time does eventually help.

Are you as sorted as can be for your appointment with the JCP on Thursday?

Ignatius

oneman, Absolut, jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:08 pm

oneman wrote:To be honest I would not be taking any written information with you regarding your personal situation for them to read. Leave it all on your journal and ask for it to be confirmed that it has been read before you go to the meeting.  I'm hoping you have a recorder or at least your phone that can record things as they will discuss your CC. They might request 3-month bank statements as well.
I don't want to tell Mother how to suck eggs as I know you are more than intelligent enough to deal with anything but I thought this might help and hope it does not offend as that is in no way my intention.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/going-to-your-interview/

Yes, let them start using the journal, as their all so keen for us to Twisted Evil .

As Oneman points out the recorder...a must Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances - Page 2 1199018962  

jobberpw
jobberpw

oneman, Ignatius and Muppet1970 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppet1970 Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:07 pm

You guys are amazing. The messages are heartfelt, touching family more than these roaches and advisors.

Muppet1970

oneman, Absolut, Pintel, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:01 am

Ignatius wrote:Are you as sorted as can be for your appointment with the JCP on Thursday?

I will be, thanks for asking.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:20 am

jobberpw wrote:As Oneman points out the recorder...a must Bereavement designated as a change of circumstances - Page 2 1199018962

I've never needed one, but thanks for the heads up. I might need one later on and will keep the idea of getting one on the back burner.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:39 pm

Hi. Absolut. I hope you're coping as best as possible. How was your day today? I trust that the DWP situation is progressing positively. If there's anything we can do to support you during this challenging time, please let me know.
oneman
oneman

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:05 am

oneman wrote:Hi. Absolut. I hope you're coping as best as possible. How was your day today? I trust that the DWP situation is progressing positively. If there's anything we can do to support you during this challenging time, please let me know.

Unfortunately yesterday was crap. Truly awful. I had to grit my teeth and forge through it. The chap taking my ID hadn't been told I was recently bereaved and he was clueless about my disabilities. After he took the ID he refused to get a senior colleague to come over and get a CC done there and then, for it to be immediately switched off. He agreed that there is a 6 month suspension of requirements for the recently bereaved, but the "process" demands that I go in again to discuss a CC separately from the ID appointment. I booked it for Monday morning so I can gather evidence to take with me on what the death of a partner does to the surviving spouse both mentally and physically. I'm booked with the same WC who once said to me that the DWP can do what it likes Shocked

When I got home I received a secondary demand from Bereavement Payment Services to go into the jobcentre so they can scan and send BPS our marriage certificate. The excuse for this was they couldn't find a record of it, which is bullshit because we showed it to the JCP in 2013, plus any government agency can look it up on Ancestry if they have a full account. I couldn't help but blurt out that of course, when my husband has just dropped dead I've got nothing better to do than go in and out of the jobcentre multiple times! What was galling was I'd just been in the jobcentre and had that document with me. Rolling Eyes I asked if I could scan it and email it directly to them. I got an emphatic No.  

I can see me having to contact my MP on Monday.
Absolut
Absolut

oneman, The Catwoman and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:49 am

😡😡😡 Compassionless bastards. I'm very sorry yesterday caused you so much distress.

Your MP is probably a wise move. Get that little shit at the JCP sacked if you feel up to it.

As a very secondary concern it is a waste of everyone's time to make you go in to agree a CC if they agree you will have no work search requirements for 6months. Your stupid CC will need redoing in 6 months anyway.

More importantly, the emotional upset to you of having to do a CC and think about the effects of bereavement on you at a time when you just got robbed of the future you thought you would have with Mr Absolut is a situation you should not be put in. On the link I posted earlier about the 6 months easements, the other grounds for work search easements (terminal illness or being in witness protection) told you the evidence you needed to submit and said nothing about having to attend to get a CC. Seems the DWP just can't help themselves. I hope you have had more compassionate treatment with other organisations you will have been dealing with at this difficult enough time.

Ignatius

oneman, Absolut and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:21 pm

Hi. Absolut.
I know your circumstances are slightly different because you have been forced onto UC but should there not be a 3 month run on period of benefits after a bereavement?

You don't have to go into the job centre to give them your marriage certificate. You can post it to them but it is probably easier for you to take it in. They do require an original certificate though. It's a bit ironic as they just take it and make a scan of it when they get it. But you know how these people work. If they can make it difficult then they will.

I did my CC on my journal in an hour long conversation with a manager when I could not get into the job centre so your Work Roach that said DWP can do anything they like may have been right. I would never let them get away with that without investigating things first, though.

You work roach sounds like a right nazi. They are not allowed to say NO when you ask to see a superior so I would be making a complaint about that. Contacting your MP is a great idea and I highly recommend you do that and tell them everything. I just hope yours is as helpful as mine.
oneman
oneman

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:35 pm

Ignatius wrote:As a very secondary concern it is a waste of everyone's time to make you go in to agree a CC if they agree you will have no work search requirements for 6months. Your stupid CC will need redoing in 6 months anyway.

They are very "procedure" oriented and the claim can't be processed without my acceptance of a CC first, even if that CC is then subject to an easement afterwards under UC 2013 Regulation 99. I didn't want to have to go in again so soon, but at least I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone on Monday.

More importantly, the emotional upset to you of having to do a CC and think about the effects of bereavement on you at a time when you just got robbed of the future you thought you would have with Mr Absolut is a situation you should not be put in.

Agreed, that it's a situation that I shouldn't be put in, but please be assured that I feel nothing at all about that meeting. The CC can be a full one for all I care. Any sanction within 6 months of Mr A's death would be a breach of Regulation 99 anyway.

said nothing about having to attend to get a CC.

I know, but my circumstances are different to someone already having a CC when a partner dies.

Seems the DWP just can't help themselves.

I think front line staff simply do what they are told without question and they are told that when it's a new claim that a CC has to be agreed, bereavement or no bereavement. They don't question it. It's an impersonal system that they administer and the only way to get anywhere with such a system is to be impersonal back, know the regulations and ensure that they are implemented. If not implemented, get local MP involved.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next