BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement of the 3G network

3 posters

Go down

Retirement of the 3G network Empty Retirement of the 3G network

Post by Pintel Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:36 pm

I receive a notification from my network provider 🍌.
That the 3G Network is the UK is being phased out in 2023/24 depending on provider 📵.

As I understand they are not pulling the🔌 plug all at once but by areas/county's. My question is, does anyone know the timetable & areas in the switch off table. As to be honest I don't need the extra 💸 expense of having to upgrade my tech. So trying to leave it to the last minute, while not wanting to wake on morning and not being able to go online. Try a search, but can't find much information, except its in the pipeline...

Retirement of the 3G network 2035158131

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/3g-switch-off
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Retirement of the 3G network Empty Re: Retirement of the 3G network

Post by Absolut Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:50 am

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/the-uk-3g-network-switch-off-what-you-need-to-know-a28ou1e1RXJA

Your mobile provider should contact you with plenty of advance warning before you lose access to 3G data, but proactively contacting them should be your first step if you have any concerns about 3G services being discontinued.

You may be able to quickly see if your phone is 4G compatible by checking online - search for the make and model, or find the phone on the manufacturer website, to see if the specifications include 4G, or LTE.
Absolut
Absolut

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:09 pm

Thanks for the reply #Absolut, 👍.

Nope, my device doesn't do 4G. Was thinking of there's any funding 💰 from the JCP 🚽. But no doubt, end up having to pay interest on any up front. So need to start putting something in the pig Bank... 😥

Just one more question? What is the difference between 3G & 4G. Without being too technical 🔬...

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:59 pm

The Flexible Support Fund, if it still exists, can be used to buy a claimant a phone. Outside Lidl during lockdown a bloke seeking donations, or begging if you prefer, was proudly showing his friend his JCP purchased smartphone. If a WC did fund one it would be at the cheaper end of the scale, although you could try asking for a 5G ready one.

These words may ring hollow in the context of ever rising costs & prices, but JSA goes up to £84.80 in April and the Spring installment of the CoL payment shouldn't be far behind.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:00 pm

I should have added the Flexible Support Fund is not a loan so no interest or repayments.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:04 am

From what I've read sometimes it's only the SIM card that needs upgrading, not necessarily the phone.

I got a new phone off Ebay for £15. It's not a smart phone but I could still connect to the net if I wanted to (got broadband so don't need to). Some local mobile phone shops do very cheap non-smart phones for under a tenner with a SIM included Smile You can still connect to the Internet with those sorts of phones too.

Asda do some good deals on SIMS and/or mobile phones and are worth checking out. The cheapest deal I get is free calls and texts for a month for £4 per month. There's data packages too that are quite cheap.

Absolut
Absolut

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Thanks for the replies I owe you all a Turnip 🌽.👍

I'll have a look around for some cheap tech📡⚙. I don't need to have a 'label' or a device with a symbol 🍏 on it... And be paying through the 👃 nose for the thing. Maybe I've become more 'frugal' from my time on benefits. Of not throwing things away that aren't broken 🗑️.

Furthermore, the reason I am upset is likely to be the Extra annoyance 😵 of having to download the apps, adjust the settings, transfering of files, and learn to navigate the device 🙁. Not being a technical person you can understand  my concerns of a new gadget...  You can see why people where happier pre-internet day's.
I wonder if I can register myself as 'Amish' with the JCP 🚽, and therefore avoid the digital yoke...🤔

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_way_of_life

Basketball
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down