BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closed claim...or is it...?

3 posters

Go down

Closed claim...or is it...? Empty Closed claim...or is it...?

Post by MontyIsInnocent Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:27 pm

I sent my roach a message via the journal way back in September stating that I wished to close my UC claim entirely.

Simple I thought.  Since then they have sent me a (full) payment at the end of that month and another payment at the end of the following month (October) which wasn't quite for the full amount.

Today I learn (via email notification and text) that they have scheduled an appointment at a JC for this week!

They sent a messages via the journal at the point in September when I closed my claim.  I didn't login to read it as I considered my claim to be closed and had better things to do.  They have not sent anything since that time up until today.  

I am loathed to perform their bookkeeping or administration for them.   Just wondered if anyone else has found it difficult to actually close a claim!
MontyIsInnocent
MontyIsInnocent

Back to top Go down

Closed claim...or is it...? Empty Re: Closed claim...or is it...?

Post by Caker Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:28 am

This looks quite an odd situation. I presume you closed the claim because you started work. It might be an idea to look into your UCj in 'payments' (Home page) and see how they have calculated that October payment. It may be that it is based on your earnings in the relevant assessment period (not the calendar month) and that you remained entitled to that money. When your earnings go over that threshold then the claim gets closed automatically AFAIK.

The threshold is different for different situations (whether you claim housing element or have children etc), so those claiming the personal element only would have a different threshold for the claim to be terminated than would someone also claiming for their rent etc.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments

Of course, if you just wanted to end your claim because you no longer need UC then there is really no need to attend any appointment at all, just reiterate (in the UCj and take a screen grab) that you now wish your claim to be closed.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by MontyIsInnocent Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Caker wrote:This looks quite an odd situation. I presume you closed the claim because you started work. It might be an idea to look into your UCj in 'payments' (Home page) and see how they have calculated that October payment. It may be that it is based on your earnings in the relevant assessment period (not the calendar month) and that you remained entitled to that money. When your earnings go over that threshold then the claim gets closed automatically AFAIK.

The threshold is different for different situations (whether you claim housing element or have children etc), so those claiming the personal element only would have a different threshold for the claim to be terminated than would someone also claiming for their rent etc.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments

Of course, if you just wanted to end your claim because you no longer need UC then there is really no need to attend any appointment at all, just reiterate (in the UCj and take a screen grab) that you now wish your claim to be closed.

Logged onto journal today. Looks like they have just not actioned my request to close the claim, instead there is a journal entry asking what my change of circumstance were. I did not divulge at the time, just asked to close my claim. I did not start work, just no longer required UC.
MontyIsInnocent
MontyIsInnocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:16 pm

It sounds like the journal entry was someone being a bit nosey. You are entitled to end your claim without giving any reason. I would be inclined to put an entry in the journal that you want to close your claim to and cancel the appointment that was arranged. That ought to make it clear you will not be attending.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:48 pm

I knew someone on UC who came off it (he did so by phoning the number you are supposed to) and still got sent his payments for the next two months. He had to write a letter to the DWP to stop the payments and get them to remind the Jobcentre he was no longer on UC. He had to pay back the two payments he received.

There seems to be no communication between the DWP and Jobcentres regarding stopped claims.

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down