BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures

+4
Caker
Gallazz
Jara
Archangel
8 posters

Go down

Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures Empty Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures

Post by Archangel Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:43 pm

I went to sign on today—I’m on JSA—and when I got there one of the reception staff told me that JSA signing on had been cancelled due to many of the staff self-isolating. I asked if this would affect my receiving my money, and he said it wouldn’t. I had to take his word for it. But I wasn’t notified in advance by text, phone call or in writing. Which is making me a bit concerned in case I don't receive my money.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures Empty Re: Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures

Post by Jara Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Yup. All Jobcentre appointments been cancelled for at least 3 months.

If you want it in writing, here is DWP official Twitter about it: https://twitter.com/DWP/status/1240651744159453187

People will continue to receive their benefits as normal, but all requirements to attend the jobcentre in person are suspended

They will have a very hard time convincing a tribunal about sanctioning someone for missing an appointment from now on.

Jara

Back to top Go down

Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures Empty Re: Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures

Post by Archangel Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks. That's a relief.

A few questions about it:

So signing on starts again after 19 June?

How will people know what hour/time to sign on at?

Will they have to bring in 3 months of work search evidence?

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Archangel wrote:So signing on starts again after 19 June?

Nobody knows. I am mentally preparing myself for it starting earlier, on that day or even after.
It does sound like we will continue to have this lock down for the rest of year unless the government changes tactics.

Archangel wrote:How will people know what hour/time to sign on at?

Most likely through a letter or phone call. Possible the journal for UC claimants.

The safest option is to follow the news, especially search for coronavirus and DWP.
You can also call the Jobcentre once a fortnight or monthly to find out if anything has changed.
I will probably call them a week before 19 june unless told it will take longer.

Archangel wrote:Will they have to bring in 3 months of work search evidence?

I personally find that very unlikely. They barely check a fortnights worth of job search, but it depends on your work coach.
I am continuing my job search and for any periods that they find lacking I will just tell them I was dealing with stuff related to the virus.

Have no doubt it's all going to be a big mess. Even at best of times (before the virus) it was very difficult for DWP to get things right. Coronavirus will take this to another level.

Prepare yourself. Document everything you know about it. Save news-stories, twitter-messages and contacts for people having heard the same thing.
Keep up job searching, but don't stress about it. Some job sectors might almost vanish in the coming weeks, while some others will have higher demand (health care, supermarkets).
Jobcentre might ask you why you didn't apply for certain high-demand jobs, so make sure you do where it's relevant.

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:15 pm

Yeah, and it's more complicated in my case because I was supposed to be filling out the forms for changing address at this week's appointment, which was cancelled. They said to me that they'd complete the paperwork in my absence and contact me if they needed to, and that they'd contact the benefits centre about my annual verification (it's due this month, but the letter might have gone to my old address).

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:58 am

To be on the safe side, anything you want to tell them should be emailed. Keep the email as proof you told them.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Is there an email address for the benefits centre, or are you talking about the Jobcentre? I know emailing the district manager means it goes to your Jobcentre, so that would be an option.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:29 pm

I think emailing the district manager is a good option.

They cancelled the appointment at which you were supposed to be filling in the form about change of address. There is nothing else you could have done differently under the circumstances.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul61 Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Paul61

https://unemployment-gb.freeforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Jara wrote:
Archangel wrote:So signing on starts again after 19 June?

Nobody knows. I am mentally preparing myself for it starting earlier, on that day or even after.
It does sound like we will continue to have this lock down for the rest of year unless the government changes tactics.

Archangel wrote:How will people know what hour/time to sign on at?

Most likely through a letter or phone call. Possible the journal for UC claimants.

The safest option is to follow the news, especially search for coronavirus and DWP.
You can also call the Jobcentre once a fortnight or monthly to find out if anything has changed.
I will probably call them a week before 19 june unless told it will take longer.

Archangel wrote:Will they have to bring in 3 months of work search evidence?

I personally find that very unlikely. They barely check a fortnights worth of job search, but it depends on your work coach.
I am continuing my job search and for any periods that they find lacking I will just tell them I was dealing with stuff related to the virus.

Have no doubt it's all going to be a big mess. Even at best of times (before the virus) it was very difficult for DWP to get things right. Coronavirus will take this to another level.

Prepare yourself. Document everything you know about it. Save news-stories, twitter-messages and contacts for people having heard the same thing.
Keep up job searching, but don't stress about it. Some job sectors might almost vanish in the coming weeks, while some others will have higher demand (health care, supermarkets).
Jobcentre might ask you why you didn't apply for certain high-demand jobs, so make sure you do where it's relevant.

Thanks Jara.

I’m a bit peeved that the JC never phoned, texted, or wrote to me (and everyone else) in advance telling me that signing on had been suspended for three months.

I only heard after I went to sign on, and then later in the evening there was a very short news item on it.

It shows just how much disregard they have for claimants!

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Caker wrote:I think emailing the district manager is a good option.

Edit: I have.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Signing on days have been cancelled at my jobcentre due to coronavirus measures Empty Signing beginning 19 June, most likely much later?!?!

Post by cc120 Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 am

Archangel wrote:Thanks. That's a relief.

A few questions about it:

So signing on starts again after 19 June?

How will people know what hour/time to sign on at?

Will they have to bring in 3 months of work search evidence?
I wouldn't be surprised if signing doesn't begin again until much later than 19 June?!?!

I've been keeping a close eye on the news for weeks but have only just been made aware that no signing will be required for 3 months on respectful benefits, on this thread.

cc120

Back to top Go down

Post by bcham Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 pm

i am handing in monthly sick notes at the job centre,next one is 15th april shall i still go down to hand it in so they can enter it on their computer, or will it be closed ?

bcham

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am

bcham wrote:i am handing in monthly sick notes at the job centre,next one is 15th april shall i still go down to hand it in so they can enter it on their computer, or will it be closed ?

If you are able to scan and email it that would be better.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Yes, bcham, if you email your sick note to your district manager, it'll be forwarded to your Jobcentre.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by bcham Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Gallazz wrote:Yes, bcham, if you email your sick note to your district manager, it'll be forwarded to your Jobcentre.

thanks for that, i didnt know that why didnt my workcoach tell me that.

bcham

Back to top Go down

Post by bcham Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm

any idea where i can find my district managers email for eastbrook court jobcentre bradford .

bcham

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul61 Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Paul61

https://unemployment-gb.freeforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by bcham Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Gallazz wrote:
bcham wrote:any idea where i can find my district managers email for  eastbrook court jobcentre bradford .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-partnership-opportunities-with-jobcentre-plus/jobcentre-plus-district-managers-contacts-for-partnership-opportunities

thanks ill save that link for when i get my next sick note.

bcham

Back to top Go down

Post by cc120 Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 am

As the current level of lockdown measures have been extended to the end of the year, does this mean that we will soon be informed that claimants need not sign on after June 19 until further notice?

cc120

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:53 am

The legislation period is from 30 March to 30 June.

the Secretary of State may extend that period for all cases or any class of case where it appears expedient as a consequence of the continuation of the outbreak of coronavirus disease

We will have to wait and see if the legislation is extended.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down