BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people

2 posters

Go down

Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people Empty Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people

Post by Welfare-Champion Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Discrimination based on disability is still apparent and active in 2020. While the Equality Act 2010 stipulates that a person should not be unfairly disadvantaged by reason of disability, discrimination is still rife. It is a big issue that many of our injury clients face on a daily basis. This article identifies areas where disabled people face discrimination, both before and as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.stewartslaw.com/news/covid-19-daily-discrimination-of-disabled-people/

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people Empty Re: Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people

Post by Welfare-Champion Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am

Coronavirus: Government’s failure to offer video PIP appeals ‘is discrimination’

By John Pring on 25th June 2020 Category: Benefits and Poverty
ListenListen with webReader

The government’s continuing failure to allow benefit appeals to be heard via video conferencing is discriminating against disabled claimants, say welfare rights experts.

Many disabled people are being forced to ask for their tribunals to be postponed, because they are only being offered a telephone hearing, says one disabled people’s organisation.

The tribunal system is not currently running face-to-face hearings because of the pandemic crisis, with judges instead deciding cases on documents alone or by holding a telephone hearing.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/coronavirus-governments-failure-to-offer-video-pip-appeals-is-discrimination/

Welfare-Champion

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people Empty Re: Mind the gap: how Covid-19 measures have highlighted the daily discrimination faced by disabled people

Post by Absolut Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 am

Trying to get a home shopping delivery has been dreadful. I have a hidden disability. I've ended up using my local co-op up the road for the last 3 months as it's the only place where I haven't been forced to stand and queue for a totally unacceptable amount of time. Standing for long periods causes me tremendous pain. I went to Sainsburys once, queued for ages, and didn't go again. There was nowhere to sit and no shelter. The staff were horrible and acted like the Gestapo. The situation has eased a little recently where I've been able to get 3 home deliveries over the last month, but I will never forget how I was treated by Sainsburys staff and I've avoided the place ever since.
Absolut
Absolut

Welfare-Champion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welfare-Champion Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 am

Absolut wrote:Trying to get a home shopping delivery has been dreadful. I have a hidden disability. I've ended up using my local co-op up the road for the last 3 months as it's the only place where I haven't been forced to stand and queue for a totally unacceptable amount of time. Standing for long periods causes me tremendous pain. I went to Sainsburys once, queued for ages, and didn't go again. There was nowhere to sit and no shelter. The staff were horrible and acted like the Gestapo. The situation has eased a little recently where I've been able to get 3 home deliveries over the last month, but I will never forget how I was treated by Sainsburys staff and I've avoided the place ever since.

This pandemic can bring out the best and worst of people.

I have been very fortunate with home deliveries.  

A complaint could beneficial in your particular circumstances.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

Access to supermarket shopping

DR UK Head of Policy Fazilet Hadi has given evidence to the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee on the serious challenges disabled people are encountering in shopping for food during the crisis. Many people with mental health conditions, learning disabilities, sensory impairments and mobility difficulties are continuing to find shopping difficult.

She called on supermarkets to talk to disabled people’s organisations about what reasonable adjustments they should put in place, to enable us to exercise choice and control.

To hear Fazilet’s evidence go to Parliamentary TV: https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1b065556-825b-420d-9d1d-580deda858a6

Fazilet’s evidence was also covered on the 15 May edition of the radio programme Today in Parliament, which can be found through BBC Sounds.

The department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs are now working to enable Local Authorities to access deliveries for disabled people and those with long-term health conditions. It is hoped that over the coming weeks, more Local Authorities will sign up to this scheme.

The Department has also collated information on commercial food deliveries: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SIpvvfywO2m3gKOutCL4BJoVw6bxyF0S/view.

Last edited by Welfare-Champion on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down