BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications

3 posters

Go down

Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications  Empty Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Jobcentre Plus advisers have told people looking for work to “avoid words that sound worse than they are” and “avoid terms such as depression” when drafting CVs and filling in applications. The advice has been attacked by health campaigners as an “outrage” which will reinforce stigmas about the condition.

Speaking in the House of Commons, the shadow disabilities minister, Marsha De Cordova, attacked the advice, saying: “In essence the DWP are encouraging disabled people to downplay their disability or health condition.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/08/jobseekers-told-to-call-their-depression-low-mood-on-applications

Back to top Go down

Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications  Empty Re: Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications

Post by Admin Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 am

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com

Caker and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications  Empty Re: Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications

Post by jobberpw Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:14 pm

I will keep mine as is: can be volatile if pushed 🙂
This is inline with their other great cover up of, 'don't put that on your CV, or you MUST remove that'.....I don't think so. Anyone not aware, lying on a cv can be seen as fraud 🤔. Just to be clear for any prospective roach shop candidates.

I personally would tell them to shove that advice if that was suggested to me. Lying to a prospective employer about health could bring the terms of employment contract into dispute. Worse still, would be, putting the job seekers health at risk if they were hired and did not disclose current depression etc. Sometimes employers will have a conversation about health and then outcomes the forms. Obviously noone will be putting they suffer with x conditions on their cv unless there maybe a justified reason to do so. I haven't done that myself but maybe some will. Then, and only then would jobshop have some form of justification to say jobseeker looks as though they are purposely avoiding employment.

"" research from Mind found that, one in five people who had disclosed had been sacked or forced out of jobs. Employers,  are only legally obliged to make 'reasonable adjustments' (such as flexible working) to support you "if they know about your health problems, "leaving workers weighing up which is the lesser of two evils.""

""
The Equality Act 2010 banned the use of pre-employment questionnaires which force candidates to answer questions about their health, and enhanced the protection from discrimination available to people with mental health problems.
""

I can speak from experience of having worked for many blue chip companies. They do not ALL play by the rules regarding eq act. The question if presented on pre interview form or post interview subject to formal offer. Is down to the candidate to answer. Leave blank you lose, admit you still lose. Of course, if Tory's were doing one of their mental health campaigns that's the time to nail the interview. If you could prove you weren't offered the job because you chose to disclose your mental health.

SO, IMHO, roach shop are playing games with people's lives here. By not disclosing someone has mental health problems or anyother kind ultimately this, could put them and others at risk. And someone, likely to sue the culprit👿.

""It is not known how many job centres it was circulated around."" I'll take a wild guess, erm🤔
...all of them 🥴

Last edited by jobberpw on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jobberpw
jobberpw

Caker and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:22 am

My un-popular CV disclosure is:

I identify as a PERSON as I am not a HUMAN RESOURCE.

I have always found the term, human resource derogatory; a resource is something to be used. That is not what I go to work for.
Caker
Caker

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

Yes Caker, to be used, and for nothing ...dont forget £ .But still.We still have good old UC and the relentless bullying of the roach club to help us get by. Evil or Very Mad

Talking of CV disclosures I have on mine filed under interests:Have healthy appetite for all trade unions Twisted Evil . They dont like that for some reason Rolling Eyes
jobberpw
jobberpw

Caker, jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down