BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UC and housing - a couple of questions.

3 posters

Go down

UC and housing - a couple of questions. Empty UC and housing - a couple of questions.

Post by Oxy Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Hello folks Smile New member here, just signed up and making my first post! Hopefully I will partake in other areas in time too! I have a couple of UC housing related questions - that I was curious on an answer to but can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere..

Can the housing element of UC be claimed on its own? And if so, does a housing claimant have to answer to anyone for receiving it ?
(for example, claiming job-seekers you would have appointments and other stuff, with sanctions for not obeying everything asked of you etc).

I ask this as I am curious - but partially for my own situation. Currently not working, but living with family members - I have a job lined up that I don't start till the new year - but with a need to ideally move but would need help with housing - hence asking about UC. It may well be more worth it me just hanging in there until I'm sorted and avoid even using UC!  Laughing But just looking at my options really Smile

Thanks for the forum! and hopefully I can join in sometimes.

UC and housing - a couple of questions. 2035158131

Oxy

Back to top Go down

UC and housing - a couple of questions. Empty Re: UC and housing - a couple of questions.

Post by Caker Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Oxy

I suspect that if you claimed UC you would get the housing and personal elements as long as you are renting a place. The personal element would likely be the part reduced when you start a job, but if the wages were not more than the personal and housing elements together you would still have to attend the JC until you obtained more work or better paid work.

That is my understanding.

I think you need a 'better off' calculation.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/?utm_source=BAdviser&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=GovUK
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

UC and housing - a couple of questions. Empty Re: UC and housing - a couple of questions.

Post by Admin Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 am

you should be able to claim it like you where sanctioned however you will still have to do your jobsearch to receive uc so you might as well sign on in the first place if you can

second part if your living with parents you cannot claim uc i do believe I could be wrong on this its been a while since i tried to claim it that way

however if you live with siblings then yes you should be able to do under house share you would need a letter from the landlord stating that you are sharing the house with someone else
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:22 am

I would add that you are better off claiming UC than not. You may not need to mention that you have a job lined up (say nothing about it until you actually start it - a lot could happen before then).

Claiming UC would just involve appearing to be job searching while you wait to start your new job.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down