BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance

3 posters

Go down

DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance Empty DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance

Post by Non Deficere Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 am

I used this judgement in Oneman's case:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14391/

The judgment in Kerr (AP) v Department for Social Development (Northern Ireland) [2004] UKHL 23 considers the process involved in the determination of a claim and what happens if, at the end of the process, relevant facts are not known. Lady Hale states that (my emphasis added):

62. What emerges from all this is a co-operative process of investigation in which both the claimant and the department play their part. The department is the one which knows what questions it needs to ask and what information it needs to have in order to determine whether the conditions of entitlement have been met. The claimant is the one who generally speaking can and must supply that information. But where the information is available to the department rather than the claimant, then the department must take the necessary steps to enable it to be traced.

63. If that sensible approach is taken, it will rarely be necessary to resort to concepts taken from adversarial litigation such as the burden of proof. The first question will be whether each partner in the process has played their part. If there is still ignorance about a relevant matter then generally speaking it should be determined against the one who has not done all they reasonably could to discover it. As Mr Commissioner Henty put it in decision CIS/5321/1998, “a claimant must to the best of his or her ability give such information to the AO as he reasonably can, in default of which a contrary inference can always be drawn.” The same should apply to information which the department can reasonably be expected to discover for itself.

Following CPAG pre-action correspondence and policy work DWP have updated guidance (paragraph A1405) for DWP decision makers to make clear that where evidence is not available to a claimant but is available to the department then the decision maker must take the necessary steps to enable the evidence to be traced. While this duty was established in caselaw by Kerr the guidance had not previously made clear that the department had this duty.

This will be of particular use for women fleeing domestic violence who are relying on their status as the family member of a European national (e.g. as the partner of a worker) to access benefit. Previously many women in this situation were trying to get hold of their own evidence of their partner’s work history – I even heard of one woman who had sneaked back into her ex-partner’s house to try to find payslips to provide to DWP.

Paragraph A1405 reads as follows (the text in bold is new):

A clear understanding of where the burden of proof lies helps the DM to weigh the evidence and decide whether further evidence should be sought. DMs should note that:
1. Initially the burden lies with the claimant to prove that the conditions for a claim are satisfied but they should do as much as possible to ensure that the claimant has every opportunity to provide all relevant evidence and where the information is available to them rather than the claimant, then they must take the necessary steps to enable it to be traced

The ADM was updated in March and the DMG updated in February:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/793869/admchap-amends-march-2019.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/794843/v01am58.pdf
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance Empty Re: DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance

Post by Caker Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:46 pm

nice one ND
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance Empty Re: DWP duty to trace evidence - update to guidance

Post by Committed Claimant Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Well Non-Deficere, you have opened up an ugly and scary can of legal eagle worms here.

As one who is well-informed and well versed in such matters you will be able to take all this stuff in your stride, take it all in and apply it constructively to real life examples or cases.

I doubt if there is no more than a small minority of claimants who could say that they are familiar and confident of their abilities in this area of legal ping-pong at this level.

Therefore, on behalf of the majority and to humour me, if for no other reason, let me play the Devil’s Advocate for the purpose of discussing the issue you’ve raised here with a view to make sense of it for the average mere mortal.

First of all, the issue you raise obviously relates to cases that appear before Tribunals, is it also relevant at the Mandatory Reconsiderations stage involving Decision Makers?

In cases before a Tribunal is it still mandatory for DWP/JCP to disclose to claimant in advance all documents/evidence that they intend to present to the Tribunal as evidence, and is the requirement reciprocal?

Before a case reaches Tribunal stage who/what initially triggers it and what is the procedure to be followed before it gets to Tribunal stage?

At all events, unless the whole dispute process has been altered, is it not invariably triggered initially by a coach raising a doubt and informing the claimant of what the doubt is?
Committed Claimant
Committed Claimant

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Committed Claimant wrote:In cases before a Tribunal is it still mandatory for DWP/JCP to disclose to claimant in advance all documents/evidence that they intend to present to the Tribunal as evidence, and is the requirement reciprocal?

Not sure about this type of tribunal but that was certainly the case for employment tribunals, so it may be the case for other types of tribunal. Don't quote me on this, I am just speculating.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Committed Claimant wrote:Well Non-Deficere, you have opened up an ugly and scary can of legal eagle worms here.

As one who is well-informed and well versed in such matters you will be able to take all this stuff in your stride, take it all in and apply it constructively to real life examples or cases.

I doubt if there is no more than a small minority of claimants who could say that they are familiar and confident of their abilities in this area of legal ping-pong at this level.

Therefore, on behalf of the majority and to humour me, if for no other reason, let me play the Devil’s Advocate for the purpose of discussing the issue you’ve raised here with a view to make sense of it for the average mere mortal.

In simple terms, DWP must contribute to the collection of evidence from the outset.  In my experience this is rarely to an adequate standard.  For example, in O's case it was disputed that a signed JSACC existed. The wc stated an agreed JSACC was present, but it wasn't and it took many emails to get verification the document that did not exit.  O never agreed a JSACC and had an old JSAg in force from 2013!  The sanction was based on a non existent CC! DWP also took more than 3 months to provide FOI information. The DM failed to test the evidence or seek relevant information from O.

First of all, the issue you raise obviously relates to cases that appear before Tribunals, is it also relevant at the Mandatory Reconsiderations stage involving Decision Makers?

It is relevant from the the doubt stage,  The WC, DM and Tribunal have and inquisitorial role to establsh the facts and to seek evidence. I always aim to prevent cases going to Tribunal and work my socks off to gather the facts and evidence as well as internal data.  

In cases before a Tribunal is it still mandatory for DWP/JCP to disclose to claimant in advance all documents/evidence that they intend to present to the Tribunal as evidence, and is the requirement reciprocal?

Yes

Before a case reaches Tribunal stage who/what initially triggers it and what is the procedure to be followed before it gets to Tribunal stage?

The claimant.  I will add to another post if necessary.

At all events, unless the whole dispute process has been altered, is it not invariably triggered initially by a coach raising a doubt and informing the claimant of what the doubt is?

Correct.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 am

DWP staff are experts at fabricating non existent evidence.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Committed Claimant Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for your response Non Deficere.
Committed Claimant
Committed Claimant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down