BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?”

4 posters

Go down

“What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?” Empty “What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?”

Post by Archangel Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:33 pm

“What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?”

https://www.bigissue.com/news/employment/labour-government-dwp-benefit-claimants-welfare/

“Labour has won a historic landslide victory in the general election and has promised hope after 14 years of Tory rule – but the new government faces extensive challenges, including a “broken” benefits system in urgent need of reform. Can it truly offer change?

There are 14 million people living in poverty in the UK. Many are going without food, basic toiletries and heating because benefits are not stretching far enough. People are living in cold and damp homes, sleeping rough and relying on food banks.

And then there is a soaring welfare bill with which to contend. The number of people out of work because of long-term sickness is at a record high of more than 2.8 million, following the pandemic and chronic underfunding of NHS services. 

Many of these people are relying on disability benefits to survive – but it’s a system which is driving people to psychological trauma and worsening their physical and mental health conditions, pushing them further away from the workplace.

Would a Labour government offer the change which is so desperately needed?

Labour leader Keir Starmer has told the Big Issue he will be as “bold as Attlee” – the famous post-war PM who set up the NHS – and work towards ending poverty in the UK. Previous Labour governments have added billions to the welfare bill and brought down poverty.

In his election speech, Starmer said: “Across our country people will be waking up to the news, relieved that a weight has been lifted, a burden finally removed from the shoulders of this great nation.

“And now we can look forward. Walk into the morning, the sunlight of hope, pale at first but getting stronger through the day, shining once again, on a country with the opportunity after 14 years to get its future back.”

But the party has indicated that it will take a tough approach to social security. Starmer recently said “handouts from the state do not nurture the same sense of self-reliant dignity as a fair wage”.

Meanwhile, shadow work and pensions secretary Liz Kendall said earlier this year that “if you can work, there will be no option of a life on benefits” under a Labour government.

Still, there are plenty of Labour MPs fighting for a more compassionate benefits system, and the party now has massive majority, giving them huge power in parliament to enact the changes it wants to make.

The chair of the work and pensions committee Stephen Timms told the Big Issue he believes the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) could be “fantastic” under Labour – with a less “hostile” benefits system which supports people into employment, rather than “forcing” them into unsuitable jobs.

There were few concrete plans around the welfare system outlined in the Labour manifesto, and most mentions revolved around getting people into work.

Starmer and his shadow ministers have remained cautious and vague around their plans – there are sketchy ideas around universal credit reform and disability benefits. They have repeatedly said they have to be realistic with the economy and the taxpayers’ money. That cautious approach may just have won them the vote, but all eyes will be on the new government to see which policies they actually enact.

Below, we’ve outlined everything Labour has said about welfare – including everything we know about the party’s plans to reform disability benefits and universal credit, what Labour would do about state pension and the two-child benefit cap, and what we can learn from Labour’s previous record on welfare.

What does Labour plan to do about disability benefits?

Labour’s plans around the disability benefits system are primarily about pushing people with long-term health conditions into work so that they are not reliant on benefits from the DWP.

Although Labour MPs have spoken about wanting the benefits system to be more compassionate towards disabled people, the party itself is yet to commit to this. 

How Labour plan to push people into work and off benefits

Labour has a ‘Back to Work’ plan which it hopes will push people into work and off benefits. This includes new local plans for work, health and skills support to get more people with health conditions and disabilities into work, with devolved funding and leadership from mayors and local areas.

It has said it will “reform the benefit system so that it encourages work, including giving disabled people the confidence to try out a job without the fear of an immediate benefit reassessment if it doesn’t work out”.

In the second BBC debate, Starmer and Sunak were asked a question on disability benefits by a woman who said she had worked all her life but had to stop due to illness.

Sunak thinks that “people who can work should work” as he talked about his plans to tighten the disability benefits system. Asked what he thinks was wrong with this, Starmer replied: “There’s nothing wrong with that,” before outlining Labour’s plans to get people into work.

Starmer said a big part of Labour’s strategy to get more people into work and off benefits is tackling NHS waiting lists, to improve health outcomes and ensure people are well enough to work. Labour also plans to tackle the Access to Work scheme backlog to give disabled people the confidence to work.

Will Labour scrap the Tory plans for disability benefit reforms?

It is unclear whether Labour would scrap the Conservative plans for disability benefits reforms and cuts in full, although Labour MPs have spoken out against them. 

Tory proposals include stopping regular personal independence payments (PIP) and replacing them with one-off grants or vouchers for things like home adaptations and expensive equipment, as well as tightening the eligibility criteria. 

Labour’s shadow disability minister Vicky Foxcroft said: “PIP was created by the Tories but isn’t working for disabled people (or the taxpayer). DWP too often fails to get decisions right first time, leading to lengthy delays, reassessments and a stressful appeals process.

“On top of that, the Tories have run the health and care system into the ground. Labour will support disabled people to live independently, enable as many as possible to work and fix the NHS to make sure people get the treatment they need.

“We will be looking at the consultation in close detail, along with the Modernising Support green paper. Disabled people and those with long-term health conditions should not be scapegoated for problems Rishi Sunak and Mel Stride’s own party has created.”

It received backlash from others within the Labour Party too. Nadia Whittome, the Labour MP for Nottingham East, said: “The prime minister’s [Sunak's] comments about so-called ‘sick note culture’ and the changes that the government is proposing will do nothing to help people with mental illnesses. It will just make their lives harder.”

And Jess Phillips recently told the Big Issue about her sister-in-law’s battle to get PIP while terminally ill, hitting out at the Tories’ proposed benefit reforms. But Starmer and Labour have, at least officially, remained vague so far on whether these plans will be dropped.

What will Labour do with disability benefits assessments?

The Labour manifesto says: “We believe the work capability assessment is not working and needs to be reformed or replaced, alongside a proper plan to support disabled people to work.”

There are few details however about how the work capability assessment would be reformed, or what it would be replaced with. The Tories had also planned to scrap the work capability assessment, and reform it so that fewer people were eligible for the health element of universal credit.

There is nothing in the Labour manifesto about making work capability assessments or PIP assessments more compassionate, despite extensive evidence showing they can be traumatic and worsen people’s physical and mental health conditions.

Back when he was running for Labour leader in 2020, Starmer said work capability assessments were “inhuman” and must be scrapped, and that private provision of disability assessments by companies such as Atos must be stopped. 

Starmer has U-turned on a good number of pledges he made in his leadership campaign, so that’s not necessarily something to go on – although it does show that he’s aware there are issues within the disability benefits system.

Archangel

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

“What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?” Empty Re: “What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?”

Post by Pintel Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:49 pm

As the end of your post #Archangel said:

"Starmer has U-turned on a good number of pledges he made in his leadership campaign, so that’s not necessarily something to go on –"...🤔 Only time will tell???
Pintel
Pintel

Archangel likes this post

Back to top Go down

“What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?” Empty Re: “What will the new Labour government do for benefit claimants and the welfare system?”

Post by Intincroi Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:36 pm

Archangel wrote:“Starmer said a big part of Labour’s strategy to get more people into work and off benefits is tackling NHS waiting lists, to improve health outcomes and ensure people are well enough to work. Labour also plans to tackle the Access to Work scheme backlog to give disabled people the confidence to work.
Well good luck at curing one of my health conditions, of which there is no known cure for right now. Some of the main coping mechanism are legitimately less stress and relaxation - so if anything Universal Credit, when I migrate it, could make me worse.

Oh joy.

Intincroi

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:29 am

The government has set up the Labour Market Advisory Board to decide how to get more people in work. Sleepless nights ahead people.

I have yet to master the art of creating a link on my stupid new phone so instead of a handy link, please search for DWP Labour Advisory Board or look for the pressure releases on gov.uk. Ominous mention is made that they aim to have 80% of working age people in employment.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:58 pm

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:09 pm

Seems most of the LMA board party 🎉 members have an Academic/Economic background... So there have an understanding of being 'Economically Inactive' 🥗...🧐

Inactivity levels and rates across the UK & regions as of 13/08/2024:

Area       Level (000s) Rate

United Kingdom 9,410. 22.0%
Great Britain        9,090    22.0%
England                7,756    21.6%
North East         454    27.4%
North West      1,112     23.6%
Yorkshire and
The Humber        862     25.0%
East Midlands 616     20.1%
West Midlands 875     23.5%
East                851     21.7%
London             1,263       20.7%
South East     1,080. 18.7%
Wales               541       28.3%
Scotland      793     23.1%
Northern Ireland 319     27.1%

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-action-to-tackle-the-greatest-employment-challenge-for-a-generation
Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Have to wonder how many jobs in Cumbria/North West would of been created if the Whitehaven Mine had been given the green lamp?🤨

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cdrlrkz5k2ro
Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:46 pm

It's all my fault. I reside in one of the top 3 economically inactive regions in Englandshire. The Labour Market Advisory Board will be coming to get me.

I'm no boffin but I can deduce the real issue from the Economically Inactive league table. London and the South East are in the Champions League places, and funnily enough, they are also the places that have the best transport infrastructure, lots of investment, and a more diverse economy etc. Consequently I humbly suggest the problem doesn't lie with the individuals who live in the regions who occupy the relegation places, but rather with the very structure of our economy. From that perspective, the solutions are unlikely to be found with micro programmes that target individuals.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:28 pm

I second your comment Ignatius...👋👋👋
I too reside in a top flight region🏆... Maybe me being a bit slow🐌 here. But not sure how the data of : Area / Level / Rate = equates to claimant's and there ability to gain employment... 🧐

No mention of the LMA Board's budget🥂, as I could see. Hopefully, they will be able to deliver some nutritional 'Word 🥗 Salad' & Tailored Support😵💫...

And if the project falls to deliver. Maybe they (LMAB) can alter the boundaries like the electoral constitution's...🤨

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:34 pm

As George Bernard Shaw quote's about Economists:

If All the Economists Were Laid End to End, They Would Not Reach a Conclusion.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/09/13/economists/?amp=1
Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:41 pm

I don't think there's was any Marketing Bods👽 on the team. As they would of call this organisation the 'Labour Advisory Market Board' ( Lamb 🐑 for short)....

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:48 pm

As I am still too stupid to add a link on my stupid new phone, I will have to leave others to do the research on this one. The regions with the highest rates of economically inactive people are also the regions with the lowest life expectancy, the highest rates of what some would have to concede are unfakeable long term health conditions, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, rather than "made up" stuff like my back hurts or I'm a bit depressed or anxious. The boffins of the LMAB will likely be unable to to tackle most of these health inequalities on their own.

Give Wales and Northern Ireland independence and the UK will have fewer economically inactive people at a stroke. Simples.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:58 pm

So 'reading👓 between the lines here' Ignatius. You recon these Lamb's will, lay the blame at the individual. And recommend 'Tailored $upport'🪡, and Group 🤤 therapy sessions. As all of these Cancer's/Disease's, are just a result of lifestyle choices of these individuals. Back to the 'Blame Game🃏', and 'a chance to go for the car🚘' ( God, I still miss my Saturday night tv 📺 with Bruce-y)...

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:26 pm

I will give the LMAB the benefit of the doubt for now. It's a cold, hard fact that areas with the worst health, housing, wealth levels are also the areas with the highest rates of people not working. Indeed, the current Chief Medical Officer gave a lecture on this very subject in the last couple of years. He made the depressing point that none of this is a new problem. His lecture is probably available online somewhere for those interested.

The point of debate will be the old one about does correlation mean causation. To me, unless the LMAB are minded to think there is a causal relationship between London's economy and infrastructure and higher rates of people working, and vice versa for the North East, whatever strategies they propose will ultimately be fall short. Doing a bit of research into the boards members publications and research interests will reveal how radical they are likely to be.

There is an old saying that politics is the art of the possible. If the public aren't ready for big change, then politicians won't deliver big changes, whatever their advisory boards recommend. Governments usually follow a familiar pattern of doing things people really won't like at the beginning of the parliamentary term so that by the time of the next election they are largely forgotten by most voters. If they stick the boot, even a little bit, into higher earners then the unemployed will be getting a kicking to balance things out.

The lecture referred to above is a Gresham College lecture, The Changing Geography of Ill Health.

Ignatius

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:26 pm

As has been suggested, from the LMAB Academic background it is likely to be an overview of the situation. As I doubt few of them have been at the coalface of poverty.
You could suggest people migrate to a more affluent area not always easy to do.

Now will there be any review of employers/ company's in this situation. By this I refer to: ZHC, Gig economy roles, 'Fast paced' environments (highly stress), Shift work hours ( little work life balance⚖). Aswell as  recruitment department's, covertly🪣 filtering out certain groups. Combine this with Outsourcing, Streamling, and Technological advances. So less employees needed to achieve the same productivity. Whilst at the same time an increase of the population. As able to further 🍒 cherry pick from any candidate's.

Also, will this committee/ think-tank be evaluating the intervention/training 🛠️schemes? 🤢. Old favourites like, Restart, Work Program, New Deal, Employment Training etc etc. No doubt a glossy + 500x page report. Saying nothing we don't already know...🤨 And the 💰 money pit, that these are?

I recently dust off my copy of the film 'Trainspotting' from my trunk. And the infamous speech of Renton (Ewan McGregor) on 'Choose life'..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaP7qmsQbSI&pp=ygUadHJhaW5zcG90dGluZyBjaG9vc2UgbGlmZSA%3D

Pintel
Pintel

Ignatius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:39 pm

Well its time for some more Lingo Bingo. See how many times these terms are mentioned?🤤

🟦 What a retort, its Tailored Support.

🟦 All hands on Deck cause, its more than a Pay Cheque.

🟦 More important than Wealth, its your Mental Health.

🟦Abet Mach Frei, and say goodbye until you unexpectedly die.

🟦 What a 2 n 8, its good for the State.

🟦 Forget the Stress and Tension. What about your Pension..

🟦 Be Proactive, not economically inactive..

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down