BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group session instead of one to one work search review

5 posters

Go down

Group session instead of one to one work search review Empty Group session instead of one to one work search review

Post by Absolut Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:04 am

Has anyone ever had their WSR replaced with a half hour "job search" session instead, in a room with other claimants all doing the same thing, which is to happen every fortnight "from now on" (i.e indefinitely)?
Absolut
Absolut

jobberpw, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Group session instead of one to one work search review Empty Re: Group session instead of one to one work search review

Post by The Catwoman Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:56 am

Sounds like another waste of time.

The Catwoman

Back to top Go down

Group session instead of one to one work search review Empty Re: Group session instead of one to one work search review

Post by Ignatius Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:28 am

Ask away Absolut. I could write the f-ing book on Work Club/group signing sessions. Pre - pandemic I had them for about 18 months.

5 of us in a small room with 1 WC for either a 20 or 30 minute session in instead of fortnightly WSR. We were just expected to go online and look for jobs. Except that the computers were shonky so the WC always used to warn us not to apply for jobs because the computers would probably crash 🤔. Crash they did. They struggled to load Find a Job and any site that had adverts just froze everything so we would just sit there while the WC told us about their holidays and kids. I could almost get wistful for those days.

They were pointless and frustrating due to useless IT, but the WCs were usually far more relaxed than in a normal appointment. They have also got to sign everyone in that 30 minut slot so you do at least get less one on one time with a WC.

Ignatius

Absolut, jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:11 pm

In my post above I omitted an all important mention of what about your data protection rights in Work Club.

We were in a pokey room and the WC would do a quick teacher style walkabout to look at your screen. If you were logged into your Find A Job account then obviously they could have a nosey at that. Indeed, in one memorable session a poor bloke got found out for not having logged into his account for months.* WC was not a happy bunny. He was never seen again. That said, I always thought the main purpose of Work Club was to sign more people in a shorter time rather than a crafty way of breaching your data protection rights. Certainly the staff never asked me to log into my Find A Job account so they could check up on me.

When I got sent to Work Club I recall getting a letter about it informing me I must bring my glasses (if worn) and passwords which made me think it would be rather formal. In practice, most of the time it was a bit like getting a supply teacher at school.

Hopefully COVID won't run rampant over the winter. Looking back to March 2020 when I was still doing Work Club I was so relieved when I got that phonecall telling me JCP were closing. I really wasn't looking forward to being stuck in that tiny room with strangers with a novel infections disease doing the rounds.

*If you haven't been logging into your account for months, it's probably not a good idea to decide to log into it and have the 'Searches' page open just as the WC is looking over your shoulder and can see when you last looked.

Ignatius

Absolut, jobberpw, Pintel and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:00 pm

This old 🌰 again..😵A few years ago it was called 'Digital Job Club' (mandatory). Until I showed the Roach🤡 the FOI about WSR are not to be used for job searching activities!

I noticed that there plenty of shoulder surfing from the JCP 🚽 staff monitoring the room, with a clipboard. As needed to give a name and enter an email address just to log in. Aswell as other malware no doubt installed on the PC's...

Ps; Did you see any 'Wiper-Snipers' on call after you finish? Or where you issued a pair of latex gloves 🧤 to use...

Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:07 pm

Not seen any sign of Work Club since March 2020 at my JCP so no idea if it now features added Wiper Snipers. They need to have latex free gloves available for those with allergies.

We never needed to give any personal details to log on, just clicked on something. But the IT was dreadful. Even the WC used to laugh when the JCP computers couldn't cope with Find a Job. As I said earlier the WC would always say at the beginning don't apply for jobs because the useless computers will crash/freeze and lose your application. But with functioning IT and a give a toss WC, Work Club might not be so laidback.

I shall file away your reference to a FOI saying WSR not to be used for jobsearch in case it's needed in the future...

Ignatius

jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Group session instead of one to one work search review Digita10
Group session instead of one to one work search review Foiext10

Ignatius wrote:N might not be so laidback.

I shall file away your reference to a FOI saying WSR not to be used for jobsearch in case it's needed in the future...

Basketball

Sorry #Ig. I can't seem to find the FOI (i thought it was foi2016/2344, from my records scratch ).

However, when digging around did find this about the Digital Job Club'(2016), where does the time go?
So it wasn't just a 'flash-back'....🙃

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/jobclubs_and_group_sessions_are#incoming-936731 scratch
Pintel
Pintel

Absolut, jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:10 pm

On the subject of stupid JCP ideas, did anyone here ever do Speed Signing?

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:38 pm

Ignatius wrote:On the subject of stupid JCP ideas, did anyone here ever do Speed Signing?

lol!
Nope, but I've been for the High Jump a few times....Group session instead of one to one work search review 3889284177
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:43 am

Ignatius wrote:When I got sent to Work Club I recall getting a letter about it informing me I must bring my glasses (if worn) and passwords which made me think it would be rather formal. In practice, most of the time it was a bit like getting a supply teacher at school.

Thanks Ig, at least you've been able to identify for me that we've been sent to a Work Club, which is more than the roach did a fortnight ago and who was as vague as possible about it while also admitting that it was going to be upstairs. I told her I couldn't attend yet she left the appointment in place. I wasn't asked what equipment I might need to do a "job search" in any location either.

When I arrived on the ground floor on Tuesday morning I was directed to go upstairs by a roach who knows perfectly well that I won't go up their stairs. He said "there are no appointments downstairs any more". I said "that's a breach of the Equality Act" and to cut a long story short I'm to be seen downstairs while Mr Absolut is to continue upstairs at the "Work Club".
Absolut
Absolut

Caker, jobberpw and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:12 am

Your inability to do stairs reminds of a fellow Work Club detainee with a broken foot. He was made to struggle up the stairs. 🤬

Mr Absolut may like to bear in mind Work Club offers opportunities to distract the WC and get their beady eyes away from your computer screen. We would ask questions about all manner of JCP stuff so they had less time for snooping. There always seemed to be one person in the group who genuinely could not use a computer which used to eat up the WC time as well. We were provided with paper and stubby little pens (think Argos quality) in case we needed to write anything. When you got called to the front to show WC your jobsearch it was just like being back at school. Every now and again we'd get a strict WC but most of the time it was tolerable.

Ignatius

jobberpw, Pintel and The Catwoman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:16 pm

Ignatius wrote:When you got called to the front to show WC your jobsearch it was just like being back at school. Every now and again we'd get a strict WC but most of the time it was tolerable.

❄ Also #Ig, was there 'security' (covert or uniformed) in the room? Usually the chap to whom doesn't seem to be doing anything, yet doesn't seem to want to go home 🤔🤔🤔

Just incase a paper airplane ✈ is launched...

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:32 pm

Absolut wrote:
He said "there are no appointments downstairs any more". I said "that's a breach of the Equality Act"

📌Didn't you enquire to what the downstairs of the JCP🚽 offices are going to be used as #Absolut.  Are they going to convert into Luxury flats or install a Coffee shop there? 
By the way things are going in this country, you could see the DWP, converting an old Ice Cream 🍦 van. And having appointments at the back window, while we stand in the cold....

Group session instead of one to one work search review 2227953398
Pintel
Pintel

Caker and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:08 pm

No security in rooom. Doubt WC would have been so chilled if they thought they were being watched. My Jobcentre used to offer claimants work experience in the Jobcentre and occasionally one of them would be present sitting on a chair looking bored.

Ignatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am

Ignatius wrote:Your inability to do stairs reminds of a fellow Work Club detainee with a broken foot. He was made to struggle up the stairs. 🤬

Even a short term injury like a broken foot is covered by the EA 2010. When the DWP refuses to see a disabled person in a ground floor location they are engaging in maladministration.

Mr Absolut may like to bear in mind Work Club offers opportunities to distract the WC and get their beady eyes away from your computer screen. We would ask questions about all manner of JCP stuff so they had less time for snooping.

Snooping on what a JSA claimant does on a DWP computer for 30 minutes once a fortnight isn't going to lead to a DM being able to justify a sanction or claim closure if that is what is behind the idea of the snooping.

When you got called to the front to show WC your jobsearch it was just like being back at school. Every now and again we'd get a strict WC but most of the time it was tolerable.

They didn't want his job search evidence for the prior fortnight. They said they would "note" his job applications but seeing as there is no WSR the only way we can find out if they have noted the applications is to submit an access request for his notes.

There were no security guards, at least not ones wearing G4S uniforms, but there were 2 people sitting at a desk doing nothing. The person who wouldn't give Mr Absolut a straight answer about what the "group session" was about hadn't even bothered to put on an ID badge.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:34 am

Pintel wrote:Didn't you enquire to what the downstairs of the JCP🚽 offices are going to be used as #Absolut.  Are they going to convert into Luxury flats or install a Coffee shop there?

There were people attending appointments right in front of me when he said it, one of whom had a walking stick. That person was sorting out their UC claim.

The words the roach left out when he said "there are no appointments downstairs any more" were "for you JSA claimants".
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:11 pm

Absolut wrote:Has anyone ever had their WSR replaced with a half hour "job search" session instead, in a room with other claimants all doing the same thing, which is to happen every fortnight "from now on" (i.e indefinitely)?

Hi Absolut, a few years ago I did something similar but never to actually replace my usual WSR. When i was on the WP that's all it seemed to consist of...WSR. Just another sheep herding exercise to make it look they are actually delivering some form of "help" Evil or Very Mad

Really hope this doesn't last too long for you Absolut, and hope you will question as to what this special WSR is, how its effectively and more importantly positively enabling you to surpass every other Google search when looking for work on planet earth. No doubt, their brief is to reply if asked "helping claimant's engage with each other, compare notes etc Evil or Very Mad "

Once in the dungeon, don't forget to ask where the Coffee/tea and bics are Wink .

jobberpw
jobberpw

Absolut, Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:17 pm

Ignatius wrote:On the subject of stupid JCP ideas, did anyone here ever do Speed Signing?

Do you mean sign and go out the door ASAP ? Sounds my kind of thing Ignatius. Wink
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:29 pm

What happened to this 'alleged' one to one support, from the 🤡Roach🤨...  #Absolut, this excuse of JSA claimant's on different floors, does not hold water to me😕. When the JCP 🚽 offices where paper based. But today with all computerised/ hot desking. That is 'discrimitation'????  

Group session instead of one to one work search review 2688132817
Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:33 pm

jobberpw   Do you mean sign and go out the door ASAP ? Sounds my kind of thing Ignatius.   

👽 I am sorry to say the day's of 'Show & Go' at the JCP🚽, where back in the 1980's #Jobber...
Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:56 am

Pintel wrote:What happened to this 'alleged' one to one support, from the 🤡Roach🤨...  #Absolut, this excuse of JSA claimant's on different floors, does not hold water to me😕. When the JCP 🚽 offices where paper based. But today with all computerised/ hot desking. That is 'discrimitation'????  

Group session instead of one to one work search review 2688132817

It was referred to as a "mistake" by a higher up. The higher up said "we didn't know where it would be located". Yes they did. The female roach who told me about the session knew it was going to be on the second floor 2 weeks before it happened. I said to that roach that they couldn't mandate a "group session". The roach said "We can do what we like". Clearly she has not read Chapter 34, JSA Sanctions:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1078940/dmgch34.pdf

The test is whether that particular course of action will help a particular claimant get employment or improve their prospects of employment in the specific circumstances and that the claimant has no good reason for failing to comply with the request.

there has to be a clearly identified tangible benefit to the individual claimant in terms of improving their employment prospects with whatever is directed (also see DMG 34904).

In answer to Mr Absolut's question as to how long this totally useless exercise was to last for, the answer was "from now on".

34907 A JSD must be
1. linked to an action to improve the claimant's chances of finding work (for example, a JSD can ask a claimant to produce a current CV but it cannot dictate how the claimant presents the evidence)
2. personalised and appropriate for that individual claimant (see DMG 349903 and 34904)
3. related to labour market activities
4. a one-off specific activity, which the claimant can reasonably be expected to perform
5. time bound and reviewed by the Personal Adviser or Assistant Adviser within 2 to 4 weeks
6. give full information about the activity (for example, details of: the full name and address (including post code) of the employer, agency or course referred to)
7. inform the claimant exactly what the claimant must do (for example, send a CV to a specific employer, or a range of employers in a particular trade)
8. give the date by which it must be done and
9. explain what will happen if they do not comply (i.e. sanction)

34923 Whether the claimant can reasonably access a DWP IAD should they either not have reasonable access to the internet or should they wish to exercise their right not to accept cookies should be taken into account.

We have full access to the Internet so I do not see their "login and do a job search on our computer" as in any way legitimate where a JSD is concerned. It does, however, get them out of having to do half a dozen one to one WSRs downstairs.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 am

jobberpw wrote:

Do you mean sign and go out the door ASAP ? Sounds my kind of thing Ignatius. Wink

Spot on. All you did was sign n go. I used to up my signing speed so I could get out of the door even quicker. JobSearch was never checked. A veritable breeze. A WC did say it was due to staff shortages. Maybe you could suggest Speed Signing on your next visit to the jobbo.

Ignatius

Absolut, jobberpw and Pintel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:30 pm

Pintel wrote:jobberpw   Do you mean sign and go out the door ASAP ? Sounds my kind of thing Ignatius.   

👽 I am sorry to say the day's of 'Show & Go' at the JCP🚽, where back in the 1980's #Jobber...

That just shows how well I've done pintel. Decades on, and I'm still back there in more ways than one Laughing

Someone told me due to forthcoming cut backs, anyone needing the loo at roach central must bring their own potty Mad Twisted Evil .

jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down