BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected?

4 posters

Go down

if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected? Empty if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected?

Post by Esther_McSanctions Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:48 pm

If a relative gave me £50 per week to help me out, what deductions would there be from my JSA?
Would the same rules have aplied in 2009?

Esther_McSanctions

Back to top Go down

if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected? Empty Re: if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected?

Post by Absolut Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:15 am

Well, it's income and not via working so you wouldn't get the £5 off. They knock the whole lot off. Yes, the same rules applied in 2009.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected? Empty Re: if a relative gives me £50 per week, is JSA affected?

Post by Esther_McSanctions Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Are you saying £50 per week would be deducted from my JSA?

Esther_McSanctions

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Sorry I misunderstood what you had written. It's not income, it's a gift, so it's not counted.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/benefits-charity
Any income you receive from voluntary sources - such as from friends and family or from charities - is disregarded completely when calculating benefits. This means the amount of benefit you are entitled to is not affected by this kind of income.

When deciding if the payment is a voluntary payment the government will consider the background to the payment, and reasons for it.

Example 1: Jim declares that he gets a payment of £20 a week from his Uncle Peter, towards the cost of running his car. Peter makes the payment because Jim has been receiving benefit for some time and needs a car to get around. Peter makes the payment because of family ties and affection for Jim. Peter does not expect or receive anything in return. The assessing officer decides that the £20 is a voluntary payment.

As far as I can make out it's classed as savings, so as long as overall it doesn't exceed the lower limit (I think it's about 6k in total) you should be fine. Best to check the fine print in the UC or JSA rules though.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:08 pm

One point I would like to make on this matter is of 🎰 Gambling 🎲? Do any winnings need to be declared over a certain amount, does anyone know.
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Esther_McSanctions wrote:If a relative gave me £50 per week to help me out, what deductions would there be from my JSA?
Would the same rules have aplied in 2009?

Thank goodness for kind relatives/friends.

Does DWP already know about the £50 cash payments?

To ensure your benefit is not suspended wrongly, please take welfare advice (see link at the end of this post).

What are voluntary payments ?
28495 A voluntary payment is a payment that

1. has a benevolent purpose and
2. is given without anything being given in return1 .

Note: Voluntary payments should not be confused with payments to volunteers.
Guidance on payments to volunteers is given at DMG 26195 - 26196. 1 R(IS) 4/94 28496

Caselaw: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/cis/422_92.pdf

A voluntary payment is similar to a charitable payment but it will not usually be made from a charitable trust. Voluntary payments are usually paid for the benefit of an individual. But DMs should recognise that charitable payments may also be made to individuals

1. for the relief of poverty or
2. because a wider purpose is involved.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/658249/v5am52.pdf

https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

D.Appleby

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Pintel wrote:One point I would like to make on this matter is of 🎰 Gambling 🎲? Do any winnings need to be declared over a certain amount, does anyone know.

I will check that out a bit later.

D.Appleby

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:01 am

D.Appleby wrote:
Pintel wrote:One point I would like to make on this matter is of 🎰 Gambling 🎲? Do any winnings need to be declared over a certain amount, does anyone know.

I will check that out a bit later.

Gambling winnings are capital for benefit purposes - CH/0412/2007 & CH/4143/2007 (same decision).

Winnings fall within Capital allowances £6000/£16000

Gambling can be classified as income if some skill is required. An acquaintance of mine (a former maths teacher) plays Poker all over the world and he declares his income to HMRC.

D.Appleby

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Esther_McSanctions Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for info.  So what is deducted after the £6K limit?

Esther_McSanctions

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:14 am

Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down