BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Job Suitability

3 posters

Go down

Job Suitability  Empty Job Suitability

Post by Pintel Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

I have been reading this thread and thought it needed a new topic?   Question

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t3601p50-what-is-a-35-hours-jobsearch

"@ Caker    Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:33 pm
My wc has now recommend (via UCj) a number of very unsuitable jobs. A few of them are in my sector but I don't meet some of the essential experience criteria. Others are just outside of my experience and personal aptitudes.

I applied for them all anyway, just to prove I have. I have not told the wc I applied and I have not recorded them in the UCj either (I have recorded other jobs instead).

I suspect the wc might be of a mind to try to set me up for a sanction. With evidence I applied for those jobs, I will make that harder."

I find this can be a 'quandary' where the Roach suggests that you should apply for certain types of jobs/sectors. However, while you are capable of preforming these roles. Your application is likely to end up in the bin, so wasting everybody time. Also as @Caker pointed out, could the claimant end up on a sanction, from the Roach. For not applying for suitable jobs, even thou the roach has asked them to make an application. As I have been quizzed about certain jobs I have applied for by a different roach. While I had experience of these jobs. It wasn’t on commitment/agreement that I should apply for jobs in this sector. So the question was raised of my suitability. Not exactly helping me into employment is it.  silent
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Job Suitability  Empty Re: Job Suitability

Post by Caker Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:58 pm

I have been directed to remove anything which relates to my 'real' occupation and to instead 'emphasise' those things that I have not done but that employers want to read that I have done.

It is starting to get silly actually. cyclops
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 01, 2019 7:12 am

So another question is really needing clarification.
If a person has all the skills they need for a job, can they be mandated to acquire the skills for a different job?

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 am

The answer is yes unless good reason is shown.

16Work preparation requirement

(1)In this Part a “work preparation requirement” is a requirement that a claimant take particular action specified by the Secretary of State for the purpose of making it more likely in the opinion of the Secretary of State that the claimant will obtain paid work (or more paid work or better-paid work).

(2)The Secretary of State may under subsection (1) specify the time to be devoted to any particular action.

(3)Action which may be specified under subsection (1) includes in particular—

(a)attending a skills assessment;

(b)improving personal presentation;

(c)participating in training;

(d)participating in an employment programme;

(e)undertaking work experience or a work placement;

(f)developing a business plan;

(g)any action prescribed for the purpose in subsection (1).

Sector-based work 16Work preparation requirement

(1)In this Part a “work preparation requirement” is a requirement that a claimant take particular action specified by the Secretary of State for the purpose of making it more likely in the opinion of the Secretary of State that the claimant will obtain paid work (or more paid work or better-paid work).

(2)The Secretary of State may under subsection (1) specify the time to be devoted to any particular action.

(3)Action which may be specified under subsection (1) includes in particular—

(a)attending a skills assessment;

(b)improving personal presentation;

(c)participating in training;

(d)participating in an employment programme;

(e)undertaking work experience or a work placement;

(f)developing a business plan;

(g)any action prescribed for the purpose in subsection (1).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/section/16/enacted

Work-based Sector Academies are one example.  You cannot be mandated to undertake the work experience element.

Last edited by Non Deficere on Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks ND, I suspected as much.

It does not look good for anyone who might be mandated to training for an unsuitable occupation pale

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Wed May 01, 2019 7:47 am

It depends on individual circumstances. I doubt it will happen often.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am

Watch this space.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Wed May 01, 2019 11:55 am

Caker wrote:I have been directed to remove anything which relates to my 'real' occupation and to instead 'emphasise' those things that I have not done but that employers want to read that I have done.

It is starting to get silly actually. cyclops

Your right @Caker, when you have all of these people with good qualifications, being expected to undertake unsuitable job sectors, that they have no experience of doing. It does seem a waste of their time and money.  Rolling Eyes  

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/19/half-recent-uk-graduates-stuck-jobs-ons

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/experts/research/half-graduates-lower-level-jobs

Also as @Non Def commented “The answer is yes unless good reason is shown.”. So does anyone know the “reasons” that a claimant can be excluded from participating in a training course. Just that I have recently finished a ”Cat sat on the mat” course which was of no help to me what so ever.   Basketball
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 01, 2019 3:20 pm

The thing is, those other jobs are not terrible; some people might like / want / suit them.

I just work in a particular way which suits my attributes as well as my skills. When working, I am one of the lucky ones sunny
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed May 01, 2019 3:24 pm

@Pintel, so maddening when the CBI and other industry leaders talk about the shortage of skilled labour when we have so many talented young people with great skills.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Thu May 02, 2019 9:02 am

Pintel wrote:Also as @Non Def commented “The answer is yes unless good reason is shown.”. So does anyone know the “reasons” that a claimant can be excluded from participating in a training course. Just that I have recently finished a ”Cat sat on the mat” course which was of no help to me what so ever.

You have completed a similar training course.
You don't need the training because you already have the skills/experience.

Don't forget you don't have to sign any forms, which sometimes means the provider does not get paid.  

If a JSA claimant is mandated via a Jobseeker's Direction to a training course (for more than one day), a JSD must be issued for every day of the event and include why you have to attend on that day.

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t337-legal-use-of-a-jobseeker-s-direction?highlight=obseeker+++direction
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu May 02, 2019 10:40 am

Well I really never knew that. So they cannot just issue one JSD that says from this date (first day of course) to this later date (final day of course).

So I presume for a 3 week course there would be 21 JSDs each for different days but the same place/course/reason for attendance.

cyclops
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 am

Embarassed

Now I have revisited that discussion, I do recall it, so no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 am

Non Deficere wrote:

If a JSA claimant is mandated via a Jobseeker's Direction to a training course (for more than one day), a JSD must be issued for every day of the event and include why you have to attend on that day.

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t337-legal-use-of-a-jobseeker-s-direction?highlight=obseeker+++direction

I don’t suppose that the Health & Work Program is considered as “training course”. As the Roach would have to ‘mandate’ a claimant for the period 15x months?

Worth a try hey? Basketball  
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 am

My trouble is that the job sector I am in is not suited to me personally. However, due to having some years’ experience in the sector and previous employment these are the jobs the Roach suggests I should apply for. While I haven’t managed to stay at any one company for very long. Yet on paper I seem that I am capable of performing this role. I have tried unsuccessful to have a career change, and have mentioned this to the Roach . However, it seems to fall on deaf ears, so I end up in a vicious circle of employment and benefits. As this is the area of work I am most likely to find work. The problem is as I have mentioned that when the company see what I am like I am the first to be shown the door. You could see how stressful it is to me, years ago you could have a plenty of career changes in you working life. But now it seem that once you are in a sector that is it regardless of how competent you are to perform the role.

Job Suitability  3228069604
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

@Pintel I am really sorry to read this as I see how frustrating it is for you. I think the fact that you have not stayed with any company, in that sector, is highly indicative that it is not right for you and you are not likely to find long term employment there.

I don't want to sound glib but perhaps you could explore the things you like doing and see if any of them are perhaps related to any sort of work (available locally) that you could do at an entry level. People start entry level work at all sorts of ages and it might lead into something else. Sorry, I don't want to sound like a careers coach or anything, because I am not. It just took me a while to get to where I wanted to be. I did jobs just for money, then I moved towards more relevant work and then into my current sector.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum