BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UC journal tips for optimal use and management

+5
MrFrankZola
Welfare-Champion
ABC
eightsmileshigh
Caker
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

journal - UC journal tips for optimal use and management Empty UC journal tips for optimal use and management

Post by Caker Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:30 am

I have started this thread for the sharing of advice and handy hints to make the journal work best for the user and not the sanctioneers.

My first tip:

If you have told the DWP that you have limited internet access (local library) then make yourself  familiar with the library opening hours and don't access the journal outside those times. It is more than likely that DWP keeps a log of times the journal is accessed and will therefore know if it is regularly accessed outside of the library if you login when the library is closed.

If you have told DWP that you have private Internet access (why would you?) then feel free to ignore this tip.

Last edited by Caker on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

journal - UC journal tips for optimal use and management Empty Re: UC journal tips for optimal use and management

Post by Caker Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 am

@Admin'
Is this thread in the right section or should it be under 'jobseeker help'?
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

journal - UC journal tips for optimal use and management Empty Re: UC journal tips for optimal use and management

Post by Caker Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:33 am

Anyone with knowledge of the journal is wecome to share tips here, the more the better.

Watch this space.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am

Tip 2 Opting out of google analytics cookies.

At the bottom of the UCjournal screen click on 'cookies'

This should bring you to another screen.

Scroll down to the link 'I want to opt out of google analytics cookies'

click the link then tick the box.

Last edited by Caker on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:34 pm

I know these tips are a bit obvious, but I am just sharing my learning as I go along.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by eightsmileshigh Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks, Caker! I'm a new UC claimant, (unemployed) second appointment later this week. I have not used my journal to document my jobsearch. I have emails confirming applications, and screenshots of same. I don't like the journal at all! from info online I believe we cannot be mandated to use it?
eightsmileshigh
eightsmileshigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:44 am

Hi E

You are 100% correct that using the journal is not mandatory.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/work_search_evidence_the_uc_onli#incoming-1035443

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by ABC Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:16 pm

If this is going to be an on-going thread Caker maybe it would be good if you add each new tip to the first post (don't know how long they remain editable though) as well as in the on-going thread. You know how it goes, the thread expands and the good stuff gets lost in the waffle.
ABC
ABC

Back to top Go down

Post by Welfare-Champion Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Some information, which may help to inform the discussion:

PART 1USE OF ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS
Use of electronic communications by the Secretary of State

1.  The Secretary of State may use an electronic communication in connection with claims for, and awards of, any benefit.
Conditions for the use of electronic communications by other persons

2.—(1) A person other than the Secretary of State may use an electronic communication in connection with the matters referred to in paragraph 1 if the conditions specified in sub-paragraphs (2) to (5) are satisfied.

(2) The first condition is that the person is for the time being permitted to use an electronic communication for the purpose in question by an authorisation given by means of a direction of the Secretary of State.

(3) The second condition is that the person uses an approved method of—

(a)authenticating the identity of the sender of the communication where required to do so;

(b)electronic communication;

(c)authenticating any claim or information delivered by means of an electronic communication; and

(d)subject to sub-paragraph (6), submitting any claim or information to the Secretary of State.

(4) The third condition is that any claim or information sent by means of an electronic communication is in an approved form.

(5) The fourth condition is that the person maintains such records as may be specified in a direction given by the Secretary of State.

(6) Where the person uses any method other than the method approved by the Secretary of State of submitting any claim or information, it is to be treated as not having been submitted.

(7) In this paragraph “approved” means approved by means of a direction given by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this Schedule.

Evidence
A claimant has to provide information and / or evidence if requested in order to show they are able to comply with the rules relating to work-related requirements.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/427386/response/1035443/attach/4/Annex%201.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Section 23(3) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012, which states:“The Secretary of State may, for the purpose of verifying the claimant’scompliance with a work-related requirement, require a claimant to—(a) provide to the Secretary of State information and evidence specified bythe Secretary of State in a manner so specified;(b) confirm compliance in a manner so specified.”This requirement is underpinned by two sets of instructions for handling Universal Credit claimants in both a Full Service area and a Live Service area. These instructions are attached as Annexes 1 and 2, respectively

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/427386/response/1035443/attach/3/FoI%203564%20Response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

What do I do with my journal?

Your online journal is used to maintain your Universal Credit claim
https://www.learnmyway.com/files/Universal-Credit-Your-Online-Journal.pdf

To Do’s
A To Do is a task left for you by your work coach. You’ll need to complete these as soon as possible to continue to get Universal Credit
Using your online account

Your online account

You will use your online Universal Credit account to:
https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/already-claimed/if-you-have-an-online-account/

Digital Strategy

16. Change legislation or internal processes which prevent services from being delivered online, and build in flexibility to allow for continuous improvement

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193901/dwp-digital-strategy.pdf

Universal Jobmatch was initially voluntary, but then became mandatory via a Jobseeker's Direction.  There always been good reason why claimants cannot use on-line services, but JCP staff often ignored their own guidance.  Mad

My top Tip
Only use your UJ to your advantage

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFrankZola Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Tip

There is NO requirement to upload to your UC journal

1. Your CV
2. Jobsearch records/notes (evidence)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/435142/response/1056696/attach/html/2/4201%20reply.pdf.html

You can use the journal to

3. Make a complaint
4. Request personal data held by the DWP and it's providers

And

5. You might want to take screen shots relating to 3 & 4, as DWP/Jobcentre staff can and do delete Journal entries.

Top tip: approach a journal with caution and consider using only when no other means is available.

MrFrankZola

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm

@ABC - if this thread gets too long I/anyone else can start a new one with the same title. When I post a 'tip' I will number it so anyone can scroll through and not miss any. That should help to keep track.

@Frank Z - I would recommend that everyone takes screenshots every time they make any entry or get any appointment. In fact I can think of nothing I would not take screenshots of; I am accumulating quite a file of them, just in case of any issue.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFrankZola Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:56 pm

There are a number of browser add-ons that allow for screenshots to be uploaded to an online account. Always consider how copying online activity can easily become a rod for one's own back.

Maybe think of things akin to sending a letter and keeping a photocopy and or a free proof-of-posting cert from a post office.

MrFrankZola

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm

MrFrankZola wrote:There are a number of browser add-ons that allow for screenshots to be uploaded to an online account. Always consider how copying online activity can easily become a rod for one's own back.

Maybe think of things akin to sending a letter and keeping a photocopy and or a free proof-of-posting cert from a post office.

That is definitely how I think of it. If I make an entry that could impact my claim, I screenshot it to prove I did it. If the WC makes an entry that could impact my claim, then I keep a copy to prove it happened. This is exactly the same as my clerical recording. The WC cannot say I did not do something that I should have, or deny saying something they should not have.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:31 pm

TIP: It will help you deal with potential problems or challenging a decision in future if you keep copies of your journal and award statements as you go (for example, a screenshot). If you no longer have access to relevant claim details you can request the details from your case manager or, if that fails, request your personal information online.

https://universalcreditinfo.net/myths/the-journal-will-keep-records-of-my-claim-in-case-i-need-them

Some people only copy entries that will impact on their claim.  A friend of mine has a UC overpayment due to DWP error (several hundred pounds), which has been notified more than once.  She won't have to pay it back (ref. a recent FtT decision).  Smile

There is no requirement to upload information to the UJ at this time, DWP policy overrides the relevant regulations.

The same friend has not been called into the Jobcentre for several months, all of their work search/preparation is reviewed via the Journal.  It could be an another mistake, but I think the work coach is using their discretion to be flexible. Their person is not disabled or homeless.

The Universal Credit regulations allow the adviser the flexibility to make decisions based on the claimant’s individual circumstances.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548668/foi-4038-13.pdf

Last edited by Non Deficere on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FtT no UtT)
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by ABC Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 am

Welfare-Champion wrote:(6) Where the person uses any method other than the method approved by the Secretary of State of submitting any claim or information, it is to be treated as not having been submitted.

Would you agree that that is definitive confirmation that the SoS (work coach) is able to mandate the use of the UC Journal?

A friend of mine has a UC overpayment due to DWP error (several hundred pounds), which has been notified more than once.  She won't have to pay it back (ref. a recent UT decision).  Smile

Notwithstanding your UT reference which I have not seen, I am sure that under UC (not JSA) new legislation was put in to make repayment obligatory.

There is no requirement to upload information to the UJ at this time, DWP policy overrides the relevant regulations

I think we've discussed this before (memory getting bad!) but if this went to tribunal where only the law matters, the DWP policy would not override the regulations (the law). Yes, in the Jobcentre, policy may rule but at best, at tribunal, it would only be something commented on by the judge but not acted on.
ABC
ABC

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Going off topic.

ABC wrote:
Welfare-Champion wrote:(6) Where the person uses any method other than the method approved by the Secretary of State of submitting any claim or information, it is to be treated as not having been submitted.

Would you agree that that is definitive confirmation that the SoS (work coach) is able to mandate the use of the UC Journal?

At this time no.  However, Full Service UC is digital, so at some stage mandation is possible.

A friend of mine has a UC overpayment due to DWP error (several hundred pounds), which has been notified more than once.  She won't have to pay it back (ref. a recent UT decision).  Smile

Notwithstanding your UT reference which I have not seen, I am sure that under UC (not JSA) new legislation was put in to make repayment obligatory.

Correction, it was a FtT decison which was not challenged by the SoS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/9qpz3j/universal_credit_tribunal_tomorrow_not_sure_what/

There is no requirement to upload information to the UJ at this time, DWP policy overrides the relevant regulations

I think we've discussed this before (memory getting bad!) but if this went to tribunal where only the law matters, the DWP policy would not override the regulations (the law). Yes, in the Jobcentre, policy may rule but at best, at tribunal, it would only be something commented on by the judge but not acted on.

Two UtT cases that verify that this is not the case.

It is  the antithesis of good government to keep the [the policy] in the departmental drawer

https://www.gov.uk/administrative-appeals-tribunal-decisions/nm-v-secretary-of-state-for-work-and-pensions-jsa-2016-ukut-351-aac

How can justice be done if even the decision maker does not know his or her own guidance, let alone the tribunals on appeal?

https://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKUT/AAC/2018/424.pdf

Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 am

My Tip

Compile a portfolio of relevant FOI's and post in your journal when necessary.

Create templates to save time.  Due to my health conditions I use templates a great deal (texts, personal letters and of course benefit letters/complaints)! Very Happy

I am assuming documents can be uploaded to the Universal Credit Journal.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

Non Deficere wrote:I am assuming documents can be uploaded to the Universal Credit Journal.

Only in certain circumstances, AFAIK.

The JC worker needs to place an upload link in the journal if they request you to upload a document. After this is done, the claimant can upload a document; this will show in the journal (date you did it) but there will be no further access to upload anything else or to delete the document you uploaded.

The only way that you can upload another document is if the JC worker inserts another link to enable this. cyclops

If the JC worker has placed a link, this can have a date by which the task should be done. I presume that some sort of (sanction) alarm bell What a Face is triggered if the task is not done by the date specified.

Last edited by Caker on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add more)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 am

Welfare Champion wrote:My top Tip
Only use your UJ to your advantage

That has been my strategy all along. bounce
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:38 am

Also I was thinking that @Caker. Especially as I have had occasions where a work-roach has added something to there computer system that I disagreed with (the claimant commitment with me), that I later tried to have removed.   Rolling Eyes

For example i thought: "On **/**/**** I spoke to the roach, upon the matter of -----------. That I disagreed with so asked them to change this." So suddenly you have some control of what goes into there records.

Especially if you are not very good with people face to face, it could be very useful tool? Not exactly what the JCP wanted claimant to use the journal for me thinks???? geek
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:15 pm

@Pintel, you are so right.
Also, the UCj also makes it possible for you to raise queries about things such as UC rules and regs, which JC workers are supposed to be able to help with. These can be generic queries, not necessarily specific to your claim. If they are busy keeping up with those activities they will not have so much time for scrutinising your activities.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 am

Pintel wrote:Also I was thinking that @Caker. Especially as I have had occasions where a work-roach has added something to there computer system that I disagreed with (the claimant commitment with me), that I later tried to have removed.   Rolling Eyes

For example i thought: "On **/**/**** I spoke to the roach, upon the matter of -----------. That I disagreed with so asked them to change this." So suddenly you have some control of what goes into there records.

Especially if you are not very good with people face to face, it could be very useful tool? Not exactly what the JCP wanted claimant to use the journal for me thinks???? geek

Caker wrote:@Pintel, you are so right.
Also, the UCj also makes it possible for you to raise queries about things such as UC rules and regs, which JC workers are supposed to be able to help with. These can be generic queries, not necessarily specific to your claim. If they are busy keeping up with those activities they will not have so much time for scrutinising your activities.

I love it!!! Very Happy Very Happy

journal - UC journal tips for optimal use and management 2936143587
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 am

Caker wrote:
Non Deficere wrote:I am assuming documents can be uploaded to the Universal Credit Journal.

Only in certain circumstances, AFAIK.

The JC worker needs to place an upload link in the journal if they request you to upload a document. After this is done, the claimant can upload a document; this will show in the journal (date you did it) but there will be no further access to upload anything else or to delete the document you uploaded.

The only way that you can upload another document is if the JC worker inserts another link to enable this. cyclops

If the JC worker has placed a link, this can have a date by which the task should be done. I presume that some sort of (sanction) alarm bell What a Face is triggered if the task is not done by the date specified.

Is it possible to simply copy and paste a redacted CV within the UCJ?
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 am

Non Deficere wrote:Is it possible to simply copy and paste a redacted CV within the UCJ?

I just remove all identifying info' from my CV (name, contact details, qualifications, dates and places of employment), so it looks quite bare and just shows a list of skills used in each job under the job title.

Edit: I would think it is possible to cut and past some text into a journal entry but they are limited to a certain number of characters.

If you wanted to bring a FOI or other, to the attention of the WC then I suppose you could paste a link into a journal entry, just as on this site. I imagine that would work but I have not done it yet, so cannot be sure.

Last edited by Caker on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add more.)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 am

Some points to bear in mind when using the UC journal.

He gave several examples of where poor system design and practice caused delays and payment errors, including:

Staff are not notified when claimants leave messages on their online journal; for example, if they wish to challenge payment errors. As a result, messages sent to officials can go unanswered for days or weeks unless claimants pursue the inquiry by phone.
Claimants are discouraged by staff from phoning in to resolve problems or to book a home visit and instead are actively persuaded to go online, using a technique called “deflection”, even when callers insist they are unable to access or use the internet.
Callers have often been given wrong or contradictory advice about their entitlements by DWP officials. These include telling severely disabled claimants who are moving on to universal credit from existing benefits that they must undergo a new “fit for work” test to receive full payment.
Although the system is equipped to receive scanned documents, claimants instead are told to present paper evidence used to verify their claim, such as medical reports, either at the local job centre or through the post, further slowing down the payment process.

Small delays or fluctuations in the timing of employers’ reporting of working claimants’ monthly wages via the real time information system can lead to them being left hundreds of pounds out of pocket through no fault of their own.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/22/universal-credit-it-system-broken-service-centre-whistleblowers-say

It would be helpful to know if any these issues have been resolved.
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next