BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay.

4 posters

Go down

Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay. Empty Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay.

Post by Caker Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Just thinking out load here but it occurs to me that for those on UC, any 'surplus earnings' i.e. any earnings at all (for a single, childless claimant) in excess of UC, are just calculated and rolled over to the next month and then the next month until the claimant has had no more in earnings than they would have received in UC in the same period.

In effect, no earner can be better off than someone in the same circumstances who does not take a job. Even someone offered a weeks work on a good hourly rate will not be better off if a weeks pay has to last 2 months.

The only way the earner can be better off is if their job lasts at least 6 months (and no less). Only then will any new claim ignore previous earnings (accrued during a period when no UC was claimed) as far as I can tell.

This makes a mockery out of temporary work, as the system means that someone doing it gains nothing for themselves.
Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay. 3228069604

https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/what-is-income-for-uc/

If I have got any of this wrong I would be happy to be corrected.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay. Empty Re: Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay.

Post by Absolut Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 pm

You are probably right and that's why the STEP programme is 6 months paid work as anything less wouldn't be worth it.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay. Empty Re: Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay.

Post by Caker Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi Absolut
I had not heard of the STEP programme.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welfare-Champion Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:32 am

You are correct Caker!

https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/self-employment/surplus-earnings-and-losses#Six%20month%20rule

The six month rule

As explained above, the rules only kick-in where the old award of UC terminated in the 6 months prior to the new UC claim. If there is a gap of more than 6 months, then the rules will not apply and UC will be calculated as normal.

Example 1

Lucy claims UC on 18 October 2018. Her first assessment period runs from 18 October to 17 November. At the end of January 2019, Lucy moves to a much higher paid job and her UC award ends on 17 February.

Unfortunately, Lucy's job ends after 4 months and on 3 June, she makes a new claim for UC. The surplus earnings rules will apply because the old UC award terminated in the previous 6 months (looking back from the first day of the new claim).

Example 2

Jason claims UC on 18 October 2018. His first assessment period runs from 18 October to 17 November. At the end of January 2019, Jason moves to a much higher paid job and his UC award ends on 17 February due to the level of his earnings.

Jason's job ends after 8 months on 3 October 2019 and he makes a new claim for UC. The surplus earnings rule does not apply because Jason does not have an old award of UC that terminated within 6 months before the first day of his new claim.

The rules for the self-employed are much worse.

Yet another legal case in progress:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/universal-credit-mum-left-898-14100705

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks Welfare Champion. I checked this out with my JC worker and s/he replied

On that note it looks like if a person has 'surplus earnings' and they make a reclaim because their work has ended, they will receive nil and the claim will be closed. What happens then Question  How soon before they can make a new claim Question

I wonder what would happen if a person took a job which paid less than the figure quoted. I have no idea where s/he (JC worker) took the figure from. JC worker has not provided any link to any relevant guidance.

This is clear as mud.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Yet another legal case in progress:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/universal-credit-mum-left-898-14100705

Good on her. I am interested in the outcome of this.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm

This is my original source of information

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments

gov.uk wrote:Surplus earnings
If your monthly earnings are more than £2,500 over the amount where your payment stopped, this becomes ‘surplus earnings’.

Your surplus earnings will be carried forward to the following month, where they count towards your earnings. If your earnings (including your surplus earnings) are then still over the amount where your payment stops, you will not get a Universal Credit payment.

If your earnings fall below the amount where your payment stopped, your surplus will decrease. Once your surplus has gone, you’ll be able to get a Universal Credit payment again.

You’ll need to reclaim Universal Credit every month until your earnings have reduced enough to get another payment.

You can talk to your work coach for more information about surplus earnings.

The statement in your online journal will show your work allowance and when the surplus reduces.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 pm

The calculation:

First claim since the old award terminated

If this is the first claim made since the old award terminated, the surplus earnings are calculated as follows:

Work out the total 'earned income' in the month that would have been the final assessment period of the old award (had it not been terminated)
Deduct the 'relevant threshold' for the month that would have been the final assessment period of the old award (had it not been terminated) from the figure in Step 1.

This amount is known as the 'original surplus'. This amount will be added to the new claim as earned income.

Continues for subsequest claims....

https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/self-employment/surplus-earnings-and-losses#Six%20month%20rule
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

ND wrote:First claim since the old award terminated

If this is the first claim made since the old award terminated, the surplus earnings are calculated as follows:

Work out the total 'earned income' in the month that would have been the final assessment period of the old award (had it not been terminated)
Deduct the 'relevant threshold' for the month that would have been the final assessment period of the old award (had it not been terminated) from the figure in Step 1.

This amount is known as the 'original surplus'. This amount will be added to the new claim as earned income.

Continues for subsequent claims....

I know which source I believe. It looks like JC worker is providing incorrect information (probably not just to me  pirat  )
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 pm

I wonder if this is the source material / internal guidance that DWP workers are being given.

I am not surprised they are giving out confusing advice as this is very confusing:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407122/universal-credit-surpluses-and-self-employed-losses-ssac-report.pdf

George, the Fenwick family and Neelam (worked examples in Annexe A) all seem better off on UC.

I feel discombobulated  confused

If anyone can explain any of this I will be ever so grateful. My WC is not able to go through a worked example calculation with me but merely said that a DM will decide (after the fact). That is not useful when I really want to know in advance how my (potential) earnings will be affected.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Caker wrote:I wonder if this is the source material / internal guidance that DWP workers are being given.

I am not surprised they are giving out confusing advice as this is very confusing:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407122/universal-credit-surpluses-and-self-employed-losses-ssac-report.pdf

George, the Fenwick family and Neelam (worked examples in Annexe A) all seem better off on UC.

I feel discombobulated  confused

If anyone can explain any of this I will be ever so grateful. My WC is not able to go through a worked example calculation with me but merely said that a DM will decide (after the fact). That is not useful when I really want to know in advance how my (potential) earnings will be affected.

Hi C,

The worked examples are relevant to surplus earnings outside the 6 month rule.

This is a clear explanation regarding surplus income, not the 6 month rule when the UC claim is closed (sse posts above).  After the 6 month period a claim is paused when the surplus income threshold rule applies.  

Surplus earnings

If you have an online Universal Credit account, your earnings from previous months may affect how much you get.

If you earn more than £2,500 over the amount you can earn before your claim is paused, you are said to have surplus earnings. When you restart your claim, these surplus earnings will be taken into account. This may reduce the amount of Universal Credit you receive, or perhaps mean that you can’t get any Universal Credit payment that month.

It’s important that you make a Universal Credit claim even if you think you won’t be able to receive a payment because of surplus earnings from a previous month. Making the claim will reduce the amount of surplus earnings that is taken into account for later months. If you don’t make a claim, the amount of surplus earnings that is taken into account will stay the same. Surplus earnings will stop being taken into account 6 months after they were received.

If you are part of a couple that has surplus earnings and you separate, the surplus earnings will be divided equally between the two of you. Your half will usually be taken into account if you make an individual Universal Credit claim.

Closing your claim

If you are earning enough to not receive any Universal Credit payments for 6 months in a row, your claim will close. If your situation changes after that and you need to claim Universal Credit again, you will need to make a new claim.

https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/new-to-universal-credit/universal-credit-and-work/

Further info:

http://policyinpractice.co.uk/three-significant-but-little-known-welfare-changes-live-from-april-2018/
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks ND
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Non Deficere wrote:It’s important that you make a Universal Credit claim even if you think you won’t be able to receive a payment because of surplus earnings from a previous month. Making the claim will reduce the amount of surplus earnings that is taken into account for later months. If you don’t make a claim, the amount of surplus earnings that is taken into account will stay the same. Surplus earnings will stop being taken into account 6 months after they were received.

Now this is the bit that really confuses me. confused

I think I must be really thick.

Edit: I am not clear what calculation is performed to have the effect of cancelling /erasing surplus earnings when a new claim is made and zero is awarded each time, over a number of months. Also, if one continued earning past the 6 month mark, would you just carry on with a new claim each month until things changed Question

Last edited by Caker on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

This adds to my confusion:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk-world-news/universal-credit-change-surplus-earnings-1131812

Dan Bloom & Gareth Bartlett wrote:What's happening?

In a bid to make things fairer, the government is changing how it deals with surplus earnings.

When you reapply for UC, you'll now have any surplus earnings you've racked up in the previous 6 months taken into account.

We asked one welfare expert how this actually works, and very roughly speaking, they put it to us like this.

Say you have a bumper month in May and earn £3,000 over the threshold. But then in June you're £300 under it. You still won't get UC.

That's because when you put the two months together, you're still over the threshold by £2,700.

What has happened, however, is £300 of your surplus pot has been 'erased' - and that'll keep happening as the months tick by.

So if you have a really bad month in July, and you're £2,800 under the threshold, you'll start being able to claim benefits again because you've dipped £100 under the threshold.

(These numbers are all made-up to make the policy easy to explain).

Why is it controversial?

It might all look pretty sensible. But the SSAC - whose job is to spot problems in new welfare laws - has raised three big problems.

Number one: to chip away at a surplus, some people will have to put in a claim every month for UC -knowing full well they won't get it.

That's for the situation we just explained above. So it's if you have one really good month, suddenly have a surplus, and have to chip away at it.

Number two: other people, seasonal workers for example, could actually be better off if they DON'T reapply every month.

Say you have a summer job with a big payoff in June, July and August, but terrible pay the rest of the year.

You could come off UC in June, not bother reapplying in July and August, and then when you re-claim in September, you won't have too many surplus earnings to take into account.

Number three, and this is the biggest one. The SSAC says this whole policy is just way too complicated.

How are people supposed to know if they're in group one - who must claim every month - or group two, who are better off the opposite way round?

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Just been reading around. I have a better idea of the terminology now, so I will be able to do a rudimentary calculation.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Have you tried a calculator tool C?

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks ND, did that just now. It was about what I expected. At least I will be able to put the figures in the calculation now. I can follow things a bit better now that I am not tired (as I was when I was puzzling over it before) Sleep

Work of fewer than 6 months just does not pay. 2035158131
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Update: so I have now performed the calculation with a figure taken from a previous payslip. Following through all the steps, it is now clear to me why it would be more sensible not to make reclaims during a period of work that lasted over a number of months but fewer than 6.

From what I can tell, the surplus would keep being added to, each time a new claim (of zero entitlement) was made. The first calculation gives an 'original surplus' and subsequent claims give an 'adjusted surplus'. This is only desirable when the adjustment is downwards because of lower earnings.

In cases where earnings are same or more then making a claim is not sensible because those earnings will be calculated into a new adjusted surplus. Better to just continue without a claim until earnings go down/stop and then make a claim. That way, only the 'original surplus' will be used by DWP to calculate entitlement, with no other earnings incorporated into the calculation.

The penny dropped.  scratch

If I have got this wrong then someone please put me straight.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down