BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'

Go down

'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'  Empty 'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 am

'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'

Jacqueline Widick, 47, on how osteoarthritis has left her struggling to pay her bills

Name: Jacqueline Widick
Income: universal credit of £732 a month

I’m on universal credit and it’s an absolute nightmare. I applied for it in November when my contract admin role suddenly stopped. Although I had no savings, the Department for Work and Pensions said I made enough money in November and so I didn’t receive any payment until 8 January. I fell into arrears on my rent. I couldn’t afford to buy food. I couldn’t pay for gas or electricity. Thankfully my best friend helped me, otherwise I’d have no heating or food.

I’ve recently lost tribunals for both personal independence payment and employment support allowance. I have a mobility disability because of my osteoarthritis. I also have three bulging discs, a torn cartilage on my left knee and I’ve undergone surgery to have a partial knee replacement. Despite all of these health problems – and the support of my doctor – the DWP deemed me fit to work.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/mar/02/universal-credit-is-a-nightmare-the-stress-is-overwhelming

Back to top Go down

'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'  Empty Re: 'Universal credit is a nightmare – the stress is overwhelming'

Post by Welfare-Champion Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 am

Research concludes:

People moved onto Universal Credit are 'fighting to survive'... Sad(

Dr Cheetham said that this was an extremely distressing study to work on:

"Claimants were under severe stress as a result of the claims process and some people had been so low they said they had considered suicide. The process of claiming and then trying to survive in the system, with the constant threat of sanctions was making people increasingly anxious and depressed, and worsening existing health problems."

Read the full report:

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/10089/People-moved-onto-Universal-Credit-are-fighting-to-survive-

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down