BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk

2 posters

Go down

Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk Empty Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk

Post by echidna Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43459138

echidna

Back to top Go down

Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk Empty Re: Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk

Post by Brutus Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

echidna wrote:Within less than two decades it will be cheaper to operate robots in US factories than hire workers in Africa, a new report warns.

Falling automation costs are predicted to cause job losses as manufacturers return to richer economies.

Some analysts say poorer countries could be less impacted by this trend, however the Overseas Development Institute (ODI) suggests otherwise.

We do not need to look at Africa, we just need to look in our own backyard.
The few times I go to a bank (at least here in central London) the only thing I need to ask the few floating employees is how to use the automatic machines that do everything that is not done online.
Just find a branch is more difficult as most have been closed and the one open are a mostly a do-it-yourself business.

What kind of clerk can be as cheap as an automatic ATM-like machine? In places access to banks of them is provided 24/7 by allowing cart-holder access to the branches.

The same can be said for most other things, my local 24hr supermarket at night has just a lonely, sleepy employee supervising the self-checkouts, and how long before their improved efficiency would require less and less human intervention.

All point to why the fight for UBI is so important to us all.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down