BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal

3 posters

Go down

MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal Empty MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal

Post by El-dudeareno Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Is this another example of something for nothing, of company's asking people to work for nothing! No  

"Companies can currently invite prospective employees to do trial shifts with the carrot of a job at the end.
But there has been a six-fold increase over three years in complaints over unpaid shifts, trade union Unite said."

The Federation of Small Businesses said unpaid shifts are a valuable part of the recruitment process, but shouldn't cross the line into exploitation.   Rolling Eyes (But I bet they do?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43408472
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal Empty Re: MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal

Post by Caker Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 pm

For whom are unpaid shifts a valuable part of the recruitment process? MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal 1392310362

Definitely not candidates. I would actively refuse to participate in the practice.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal Empty Re: MPs call for unpaid shifts to be illegal

Post by Brutus Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:07 am

the problem is that we are going toward having them as standard.
If one is young, or desperate, it either working for part time wages but full time hours or starve on benefits.
We are reduced to this!!
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 am

To sideline the topic for a minute, MP's where trying to stop 'Zero Hours Contacts'. However, they are still going strong to my knowledge? Another abuse of workers me thinks?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/29/election-labour-mcdonnell-corbyn-zero-hours-economy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4684834/Theresa-REFUSES-ban-zero-hour-contracts.html
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Zero hours contracts are useful to very small businesses (one man bands, market traders, small shops) where work may be available some of the time but not regularly.

The rot set in, IMHO, when big business / corporations started to abuse ZHC in order to reduce their NI liabilities. It is cheaper to employ 2 p/t workers than 1 person f/t. This is because p/t wages often do not meet the threshold for employers NI contribution. Sad so the employer can save money. This is all wrong. I am astonished more people are not talking about it.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 am

Zero Hour Contracts are here to stay, they are consequence of automation.
And yes they are abused.
Their reason to be so widespread is that in a (as a tendency) global economy, material processes and their attendant organisation are spread far and away.

This should not be thought as a "conveyor belt" but rather as a network that switches its operations here and there but in average manage reliably to produce whatever is needed.
It interoperability and the complex web of supplies and contracted productions means the business is more elastic and can take full advantage of local possibilities and development, aided by the ability to supervise large amount of data in real time.

Similarly to a self-employed that is called to provide whatever service when it is needed without having any control on the demand for it.

It is a rational way to minimise losses and increase production tailored to demand but means that at local level a lot of local functions have to be switched on and off or in between constantly.
In a society that has adopted UBI this would be normal and positive but in a society were the profits from automation are pocketed by top elites competing with each other, the emphases is on maximum exploitation.

The system is eventually overran by further technological human replacement.
Or society breaks first.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down