BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snooper's Charter and the DWP

4 posters

Go down

Snooper's Charter and the DWP Empty Snooper's Charter and the DWP

Post by Absolut Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 am

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3584-dwp-to-have-access-to-claimants-internet-history

Senior Executive Officers in Fraud and Error Services at the DWP will be able to see a list of every website claimants have visited in the past year, although the details will not include the individual pages that claimants have visited on a particular website.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/theresa-mays-snoopers-charter-gives.html

The research was done by Claire Broadley at Who is Hosting This. Over 100 Freedom of Information requests [have] revealed that over 20,000 people have been given the power to snoop on the private communication and browsing data of innocent people.

[in] the list of 20,000+, 59 at the DWP
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Snooper's Charter and the DWP Empty Re: Snooper's Charter and the DWP

Post by Caker Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am

This is quite concerning. Does it mention anything about how an individual will be linked with his internet history? i.e. If s/he has not provided details of whose name the internet service is registered with, for example, a parent or partner pays for the ISP?
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 am

This should delight the dim right wing of the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' persuasion affraid
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

Caker wrote:Does it mention anything about how an individual will be linked with his internet history? i.e. If s/he has not provided details of whose name the internet service is registered with, for example, a parent or partner pays for the ISP?

It's a good question - how do they know which person in a multi-person household has looked at which pages? We have one router that 2 computers go through.

I have a pdf of the rules for the DWP's Error and Fraud service that I last read through in January. I knew back then that they were allowed to snoop on Facebook posts, but the new law gives them wider powers which may not be covered in that document. I will look through it again, and also see if they've put out an updated "staff procedure" doc related to internet history.

This should delight the dim right wing of the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' persuasion

Indeed. Sad
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 12, 2017 7:04 pm

remember this being posted on um

Investigatory Powers Bill

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0066/17066.pdf

posted list here

https://yiu.co.uk/blog/who-can-view-my-internet-history/

A list of who will have the power to access your internet connection records is set out in Schedule 4 of the Act. It’s longer than you might imagine:

Metropolitan police force
   City of London police force
   Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
   Police Service of Scotland
   Police Service of Northern Ireland
   British Transport Police
   Ministry of Defence Police
   Royal Navy Police
   Royal Military Police
   Royal Air Force Police
   Security Service
   Secret Intelligence Service
   GCHQ
   Ministry of Defence
   Department of Health
   Home Office
   Ministry of Justice
   National Crime Agency
   HM Revenue & Customs
   Department for Transport
   Department for Work and Pensions
   NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
   Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
   Competition and Markets Authority
   Criminal Cases Review Commission
   Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
   Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
   Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
   Financial Conduct Authority
   Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
   Food Standards Agency
   Food Standards Scotland
   Gambling Commission
   Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
   Health and Safety Executive
   Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
   Information Commissioner
   NHS Business Services Authority
   Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
   Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
   Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
   Office of Communications
   Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
   Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
   Scottish Ambulance Service Board
   Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
   Serious Fraud Office
   Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust

I always wondered what it would feel like to be suffocated by the sort of state intrusion that citizens are subjected to in places like China, Russia and Iran. I guess we’re all about to find out.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 am

From what I can gather from the F&ES procedures document it used to be the case that they couldn't get hold of traffic data and under the new Act they can.

Access to traffic data is only available to a limited number of organisations specified in Orders made under RIPA, for example, the emergency services, police, Security Service. Most Government Departments, including DWP, do not have routine access to traffic data.

Some interesting comments on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/5eogje/everyone_who_can_now_see_your_entire_internet/

From reading the legislation and a discussion with an old colleague at a major ISP, it seems like it will be much easier to access than many are expecting.

While each ISP is responsible for storing the data themselves, to make it usable there will be a central application run by the government which can query each database. This means that each agency with access will login to the application and then request the history for a specific identity (name, phone number or address, etc). It sounds likely this will combine mobile data and home internet connections if the application can make a link. The permission required is from a supervisor in each agency, which role that is depends on each agency.

There appear to be no intentions to put any hard controls on access. So staff can simply open the application and browse the data, with or without permission.

Schedule 4 of the bill.

From your examples, these are the authorising parties who can authorise people to see your communications data:

NHS (Department of Health)

Grade7+ (2nd highest grade of management) Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
   Grade7+ (2nd highest grade of management) Anti Fraud Unit

HMRC

Senior Officer (high middle management)

DWP

Senior Executive Officer in Fraud and Error Services
   Senior Executive Officer in the Child Maintenance Group Central Legal Services

Police (in this case, the met)

Superintendent

In addition, you can see that the bill is being aimed at specific areas (DWP and DoH's authorising parties are quite interesting).
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm

So with regard to traffic data, suppose I travel (in a car that may or may not be registered to me) from home (A) to destination (B) using rural roads (no cameras that I am aware of). I don't use a satnav and I don't take a mobile phone with me. The car is quite old and predates any built in tracking device. I do not have one of those driver monitor devices that some insurers like to use. I would imagine that under those circumstances, I would remain fairly difficult to track.

I would imagine that the trackable drivers are the ones with more trackable technology and/or who drive on roads that are under heavy surveillance (motorways etc.).

Does anyone have any other info' about traffic monitoring? study
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebel-1 Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Admin wrote:remember this being posted on um

Investigatory Powers Bill

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0066/17066.pdf

I always wondered what it would feel like to be suffocated by the sort of state intrusion that citizens are subjected to in places like China, Russia and Iran. I guess we’re all about to find out.

First Posted on UM by tt 09 Feb 2017 23:55

Clause 27 of the Digital Economy Bill will mean that more or less any wrongful use where somebody hasn’t paid a licence fee (think of memes) is a crime. Causing “risk” to the copyright holder means almost by definition ordinary file sharing is a criminal rather than civil infringement.

Is the government really intending to threaten teenagers with prison?

Ten years jail for file sharers—the governments’ gift to copyright trolls
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/press/releases/2017/digital-economy-bill-could-make-uk-citizens-vulnerable-to-blackmail

Your gran wouldn't crap in a policeman's helmet, would she?

Digital Economy Bill: Open Rights Group lets off a warning over 10-year copyright crimes
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3005723/snoopers-charter-liberty-launches-legal-challenge-against-intrusive-spying-powers

Had this post on file, Hope it helps.
Rebel-1
Rebel-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun May 14, 2017 9:18 am

Caker wrote:So with regard to traffic data

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/communications-networks-and-services/traffic-data/

Traffic data is defined as:

“any data processed for the purpose of the conveyance of a communication on an electronic communications network or for the billing in respect of that communication and includes data relating to the routing, duration or time of a communication”.

This includes information about the routing or timing of any phone call, text or email, whether it relates to an individual or a company.

Last edited by Absolut on Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit more info)
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun May 14, 2017 4:30 pm

I guess I was getting muddled up there. doh! Embarassed  I was thinking of road traffic and not Internet traffic. I was thinking of those cameras on motorways that transmit real time images to CCTV in some control centre. Embarassed
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon May 15, 2017 8:28 am

No worries. The DWP does have access to CCTV. They have the authority to view it in order to catch people they suspect are working while also claiming benefits.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down