BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts

4 posters

Go down

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts Empty Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts

Post by echidna Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42769096

echidna

Back to top Go down

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts Empty Amazon's first checkout-free grocery store opens on Monday

Post by echidna Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

echidna

Back to top Go down

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts Empty Re: Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts

Post by Brutus Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:24 am

One more reminder of the importance and historic imperative of UBI
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts Empty Re: Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts

Post by Caker Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am

I saw this on the news. The customers were scanning their smartphones as they went through the 'turnstiles'. Their shopping bill then went to an amazon a/c. So the supermarket can only be used by those who have smart phones and an amazon a/c.

I would have concerns about logging into the supermarket wifi myself, as I never use public wifi.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:21 am

When the electronic pick-pockets empty their bank account, Hopefully they will learn from this experience. As I am not sure if these anti 'Radio Frequency Identification(RFID) Skimming' devices work?

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3199009/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html
El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 am

RFIDs have been around for ages.

AFAIU is just a length of conductive material that is energised by a varying electric field, the energy is then equalised by emitting a correspondent electromagnetic field.

The old tags on shopping mall goods are just that.

The trick is to reliably distinguish from the medley of signals produced by various RFIDs. This turned out to be a much more difficult nut to crack in actual field conditions.

The Amazon shop, I believe, works in a different way.

Each person entering the shop is identified and software follow one throughout ones movement in the shop.
At the same time all the goods are accounted and positioned, when the good disappear from their position and the person is in the proximity, the person is charged (there are also algorithms that follow movements, etc). To achieve the total result, hundreds of sensors of all types are positioned all over the shop and a massive computational power works out which is where.

The added benefit for the shop owners is that the data produced can be analysed for patterns of individual behaviour, for instance lingering near or moving something interesting but then not bought or how much time and hesitation before choosing something or the response to an ad of sort.
Also sounds are probably analysed too.

All valuable information, perhaps even more so than the profit made on the goods sold.  

The point is however  that we are moving to a shift paradigm concerning privacy and how we interact with the services that keep us alive.

UBI is necessary too, in this respect, because it  make affordable a degree of flexibility, for instance providing the possibility of collective and/or alternative  choices.

Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down