BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The budget and how will it effect us all?

3 posters

Go down

The budget and how will it effect us all? Empty The budget and how will it effect us all?

Post by Samosa Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:24 pm

From restart to beyond..

Apart from Jeremy Hunt's "I move on to my second E" ( which was always risky, as I recall)

What the hell does it all mean.. they're binning WCA - but legislation won't come into effect until after the next general election, so where does it leave everyone?

the whole thing seems to be about targeting more and more people into working longer hours, the disabled, single parents, those with health conditions and the over 50's, those with mental health conditions are going to seriously suffer as a result too.

Not very Ebbenezzer good..

Samosa

Topaz, Pintel, london123, bully3061 and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

The budget and how will it effect us all? Empty Re: The budget and how will it effect us all?

Post by Pintel Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:44 pm

As not being able to sift through the Budget 2023 😱. I was wondering if anyone knows any more information about these two topics confused from today's budget??.

🍧"Abolishing the work capability assessment, allowing those with health problems to seek work without losing benefits."

* What replaces this WCA, will the DWP🚽, go back to the experience of Doctors. Of what a claimant's capable of in the workplace?

🍩"However, sanctions for those seeking work will be tightened, including those working less than 18 hours a week."

* Any idea of what the extra stick/🥕will encompass? Not like 'Sanctions" have been effective 😒.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/15/budget-2023-jeremy-hunt-says-uk-will-avoid-recession-this-year
Pintel
Pintel

oneman, Ignatius and Samosa like this post

Back to top Go down

The budget and how will it effect us all? Empty Re: The budget and how will it effect us all?

Post by Ignatius Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:57 pm

The changes to the WCA are set out in the Disability White Paper, published today but my idiot phone won't let me link to. In brief, PIP will be a gateway to a new health premium payment. No PIP award and you may well be stuffed under these new plans.

Apart from our new friend the Sanction Bot, I haven't heard anymore detail about the new sanctions regime. Mind you, the Bot is bad enough.

Ignatius

oneman, Pintel and Samosa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samosa Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:28 pm

Came across this from inequalities blog - The WCA is bad – but will scrapping it be better?https://inequalitiesblog.wordpress.com/2023/03/15/the-wca-is-bad-but-will-scrapping-it-be-better/

Samosa

Pintel, bully3061 and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:48 pm

Thanks for the link #Samosa 👍.
As it says its still a 'white paper' so things can change on the 'Health &: Disability' white paper. Seems to me like phasing out of PIP/disability payments, by making it an extra payment to the UC. Then making it harder for people to claim, by raising the bar. So less Disabled claimant's?😳

https://inequalitiesblog.wordpress.com/2023/03/15/the-wca-is-bad-but-will-scrapping-it-be-better/
Pintel
Pintel

oneman, Ignatius and Samosa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 am

Apparently those currently in receipt of ESA will get transitional protection. If you're going to be too sick to work, best to get on with it is the perverse logic of these plans.

Doing away with ESA is a bit sinister. As eligibility for PIP is based on additional needs, not inability to work, there may no longer be a standalone out of work sickness benefit. What will happen to someone with significant but short term health problems? They won't satisfy the long term needs test for PIP but won't have ESA to fall back on either. It's hard too see the new PIP tests covering all those people.

Sure I am not the only one who thinks the timescale for achieving this is a bit ambitious? Look how behind managed migration to UC is.

Ignatius

oneman and Samosa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samosa Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:00 pm

So basically the poorest are targeted&sanctioned, the overs 50's and those with health conditions made to work more hours & still attend job centres - a new 'skilled boots camp' training course coming every ones way soon, parents with young children made to take on more hours and meet regularly with work coaches - tougher sanctions all round leading to destitution - and the rich get more tax breaks..

Samosa

london123 and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:52 pm

Benefits and Work website have been through the proposed Universal Credit Health Element and have a brief q & a section on their site. It includes the chilling prospect of people in receipt of the health element still being mandated to work related activities. Who ever would have thunk that!

And as my phone is no longer being awkward I can rejoin the modern age and post a link to it

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/what-is-the-uc-health-element

Ignatius

oneman, Pintel and Samosa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samosa Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:24 pm

Came across this from Frances Ryan
''For anyone worried about changes to disability benefits, this is an important timeline showing that none of this will be happening for years. Especially for existing claims. If you’re anxious, please know that your support is still in place and will likely be for a long time.''
https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1636056565743513605

Samosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Samosa Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:28 pm

''The Government has been accused of a “staggering” waste of money after it emerged that it is spending nearly £50 million a year processing appeals against rejected applications for disability benefits.''

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/03/15/government-spending-tens-of-millions-a-year-on-disability-benefit-appeals/

Samosa

Pintel and Ignatius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down