BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit?

+4
Absolut
mt111
Pintel
hasteyninja
8 posters

Go down

Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit? Empty Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit?

Post by hasteyninja Fri May 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted, I've still visited here and there reading others' concerns and posts and checking in with the community, I appreciate you all.

My question and position here is being on JSA for about 2-3 years, and if I should switch to Universal Credit from Job Seekers Allowance, I'm looking for advice here in terms of the added stressors that may come with UC and if it would be worth my while to do so currently.

My work coach is egging me on over the phone to make the switch saying its up to me but that he thinks it would be better as I'm a 'long-term customer', with promises of no 2 week update call/meeting, and a smoother running of operations and from the language he uses a more relaxed protocol. I believe during our next discussion he will put me on the spot about it and it's up to me whether to oblige. From my understanding I would actually receive a higher amount of payment each month with the weekly 20 pounds uplift which JSA wasn't been included in, I also care for my ill father a few days a week so I believe I would be eligible for the carer's allowance element of UC which would also go a long way, honestly I scrape by on the current JSA allowance and I'm always struggling to get by, so anything more would seriously help me out.

Now I know this can't be the full story because I always see bad press about UC, and I did bring this point up which was brushed off as early growing pains regarding the UC system. I also remember on sites like this always saying to steer clear of UC with a barge pole if you can but maybe things have changed.

My job search evidence regarding JSA before the pandemic consisted of me writing up a printed out table with the jobs i've applied for, when, where, who with and what website, along with email screenshots of submitted applications. Currently it's a 2 week phone call affair with verbal evidence.

I remember a few years ago UC was a massive red flag, with online journals, opt in/opt out (though they tried to force it on you) journal monitoring, 35 hours a week mandatory job search and generally a lot more austere rules surrounding the benefit. I will say I've had some hard times on JSA as it is dealing with a really bad coach where I had to fight to have unfair sanctions overturned and pretty much bullying every week so it was NOT easy being on JSA having to fight tooth and nail for my benefit with a really awful 'work coach', you only have to look at my post history here. Though things have been much better since not dealing with that person, I do believe it may not come down to the benefit type but more who you deal that causes most of the issues.

But in short, can some people guide me on the nitty gritty, whether it would be worthwhile, any warnings, things to look out for, to be vigilant of, perhaps a pros and cons of JSA and UC (the obvious pro being more money), and anything else I should be aware of. I know that I'll end up getting switched to UC sooner or later anyway but I'm just worried about the potential added stress of it. and any of the mandatory actions that you're obliged to do which you might not do on JSA.

Thanks to all.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit? Empty Re: Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit?

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 am

You may get more money from UC than from JSA, but, if I were you, I'd try to stay on JSA as long as I can. In my case, the transition from Housing Benefit to UC has been a disaster because the Council fucked it up big time. It took me 6 months to sort it out. Every time there is a change of circumstances, there's a chance the DWP will fuck it up. JSA and UC are two systems that don't speak to each other.

Back to top Go down

Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit? Empty Re: Should I Switch from JSA to Universal Credit?

Post by Pintel Sat May 08, 2021 4:04 pm

On a similar topic heres a FOI about being transferred to Universal Credit from legacy benefits. 😒

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/method_of_transferring_legacy_cl
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by mt111 Sun May 09, 2021 11:39 am

I recently switched from JSA to UC after claiming Carers Allowance. A few things I considered.

1. I didn't want us to end up worse off as Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that both you and the person you care for get. I was told that as she recieves pension credit we shouldn't end up worse off.

"Carers in receipt of means tested benefits (listed above) will gain £37.50 per week. However the person being cared for could potentially lose up to £66.95 per week in their means tested benefits."
https://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/7342/Benefits-for-Carers---A-short-guide-to-Carers-Allowance

2. I was told by the jobcentre that JSA has a job search requirement even if you're caring over 35 hours per week and getting a job would be very difficult. However they advised UC has a no job search required option for people in my situation.
I switched to UC 8-9 weeks ago and so far have not had to complete a claimant commitment or provide any job search.

Other things:

a. I claimed CA and its topped up by UC. I read somewhere claiming CA as a component of UC makes a difference to the type of NI contributions you are credited with but dont know much about this to be honest.

b. As I'm sure you know CA can be backdated 3 months (when they sorted out my claim I found £600 deposited into my account which was quite nice!)

c. I was told when you switch from JSA to UC they pay JSA for 2 weeks past the initial claim date for UC so you don't have to wait 5 weeks for money and then pay you 5 weeks UC on due date so you get 2 weeks free money.

So far I'm glad I switched - more money makes life a bit easier and no hassle re jobsearch.

mt111

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks guys for the information.

@mt111, your situation sounds very similar to mine, my dad does receive pension credit, I know he receives attendance allowance but I'm not sure on any other benefits he receives, would AA be enough do you think for eligibility? I care for him 3-4 days a week most weeks sometimes 2 days on rarer occasions, so i should fit the 35 hour criteria.

It's very interesting to hear about the no job search requirement and I wonder if this is a universal rule for all in this situation. You've convinced me that it's probably worth my while to make the switch and to aim for a backdated payment since I've been doing this a while now.

So just to be clear you don't claim the CA element of UC but you claim CA as a separate benefit to UC, and it gets topped up towards it?

One thing I'd really hate is if I made the switch and it affected my dad monetarily as he struggles financially in retirement with his illnesses.

@Miguel1975, sorry to hear you had it rough mate, I don't actually receive any housing benefit as I stay with one parent. I just receive the base JSA allowance, and while I fully hear you I still wonder if in my case it would be more beneficial to make the jump.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by hasteyninja on Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : name correction, replying to another user.)

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm

@mt111

Continued...

I'm not actually sure my dad does receive pension credit afterall, what would you recommend doing regarding ensuring nothing will affect his payments? As this would be a disaster. I'm a bit confused on the whole 'means tested benefits' thing, and the discrepancies between UC Carer's Element compared with Carer's Allowance standalone - does the no job search requirement apply to both, does the backdated payment apply to both. I also wonder about any potential differences between Wales and Scotland with regards the rules and requirements.

When applying, do you fill out a form or is this done over the phone in the current climate? Or online. Do you run through the form with a JCP adviser with help explaining, or perhaps better to do it with a citezen's advice member?

Sorry to chew your ear off with tons of questions I just want to be sure as you were that I'm making the right choice with this. As I understand it, you can't claim JSA and claim Carer's Allowance without one benefit affecting the other negatively, which is why this all ties into the potenital UC switch as I believe UC gets topped up with the benefit of CA.

Huge thanks.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 am

The claim for UC will be online.

The lack of a claim for housing benefit will make the whole thing easier. It gets complicated when rent is included in the UC payment.

You will get 2 weeks free money, but then you will be paid calendar monthly and without being a month ahead with everything, just in case, it might be more of a struggle than you realise if you fall behind.

No work coach should be allowed to pressure a legacy benefit claimant onto  UC. They tried it with me too and I kept on saying no until they gave up.

Carer's Allowance - how CA might or might not affect both parties (ie your dad's income and your income) needs to be thoroughly researched before going ahead with anything. I've known Job Coaches lie their head off about how better off you will be when the reality is the opposite and it's their own lives they want to make easier, not yours.  

Citizen's Advice might be able to help over the phone with advice about CA and UC, but always take what they say with a pinch of salt too. They are often wrong and hardly any of them ever seem to have been a claimant in their entire life.

Once you switch to UC there's no going back.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Tue May 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks Absolut.

I've told the WC I would like more time to consider it and will discuss it next time, I'm on the fence to be honest. Regarding Carer's Allowance well I've just found out my dad's Attendance Allowance has been stopped after submitting his latest assessment form, which is a whole other can of worms now. They called him and said they'd send a letter confirming the outcome. He has Cancer, COPD, depression and is on a bunch of medication, and needs my supervision. I just cannot believe they've stopped it. So I'll probably be stressing over that for the next couple of weeks now as he'll lose out on around 300 pounds a month, I will try to appeal against it with a Mandatory Reconsideration letter. As far as UC stands for now I'm more on the side of just staying on JSA, the Attendance Allowance decision has served as a reminder of how cutthroat these people are.

Cheers for now.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm

I am so sorry to read about your dad's health and the loss of his AA.

I can recommend Age UK with help with your Dad's mandatory reconsideration.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/what-to-include-in-your-attendance-allowance-application/

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/how-to-challenge-a-benefit-decision/

Not sure if they are providing help at home, but it is worth checking out, tel: 0800 678 1602.

An Age UK adviser visited a relative on mine at home, before COVID. A friend of mine used the help on their website and was awarded the highest rate.

Making the leap to UC is a big decision.

All the very best.

D.Appleby

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks D.A, those links will be very helpful, I'll try and use their services. Failing assistance I feel confident in writing the Mandatory Reconsideration myself but it's something I'll have to lay out and include all the details. As per the first link - "Many applications are turned down because people don't mention or aren't clear about how their illness or disability affects their lives. Don't underestimate your needs when filling in the form"

That's exactly what will have happened, my dad has not been clear enough on how his disabilities affect him, and in his old age and ailments probably didn't fill out the form to it's best accuracy, also not being aware to how stringent DWP are with information. Given he already received the benefit he may have been in the mind that he didn't have to give too much detail as they would have had his previous assessment on record, will have been his thinking.

Thanks so much for your help and will definitely make use of the resources you've offered.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by bully3061 Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ maybe worth using this benefit calculator.
Had family look into it as im at home with mum and maybe worth us changing. Am worried they may give with 1 hand and take away with the other though as she gets state pension and a small private one.

bully3061

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Unfortunately my dad has accepted defeat, he's not motivated to challenge anything despite my telling him that he has options for appeal, I've offered him the AgeUk links and contact no. for help, offered to write his mandatory reconsideration letter, but he's down and out, DWP have successful broken him. Great. I don't even care about Carer's Allowance anymore, I'm just so angry about his benefit being stopped.

I should probably just delete this thread now as it's gone a bit off topic and has taken a different turn and far removed from the original topic title.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by D.Appleby Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 pm

hasteyninja wrote:Unfortunately my dad has accepted defeat, he's not motivated to challenge anything despite my telling him that he has options for appeal, I've offered him the AgeUk links and contact no. for help, offered to write his mandatory reconsideration letter, but he's down and out, DWP have successful broken him. Great. I don't even care about Carer's Allowance anymore, I'm just so angry about his benefit being stopped.

I should probably just delete this thread now as it's gone a bit off topic and has taken a different turn and far removed from the original topic title.

The information provided here is relevant to the members raising the questions.

It may be appropriate to simply ask for admin/mods to close this thread.

Thanks so much for your contribution to this site.

Lovely to hear from you again!  Very Happy

D.Appleby

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Wed May 12, 2021 5:00 pm

D.Appleby wrote:
hasteyninja wrote:Unfortunately my dad has accepted defeat, he's not motivated to challenge anything despite my telling him that he has options for appeal, I've offered him the AgeUk links and contact no. for help, offered to write his mandatory reconsideration letter, but he's down and out, DWP have successful broken him. Great. I don't even care about Carer's Allowance anymore, I'm just so angry about his benefit being stopped.

The information provided here is relevant to the members raising the questions.

It may be appropriate to simply ask for admin/mods to close this thread.

Thanks so much for your contribution to this site.

Lovely to hear from you again!  Very Happy

Yeah I just always have a bit of a privacy concern when it comes to these things, I'll leave it up for now.

Thanks.

hasteyninja

Back to top Go down

Post by hasteyninja Thu May 13, 2021 5:50 pm

Hey guys just an update. I've convinced my dad that its worth his while to ask for a mandatory reconsideration regards to attendance allowance so its full steam ahead. I'm currently in the process of writing a M.R. request letter and I've also told him to reach out to AgeUK who are going to call him in a few days to discuss things. I'm also going to ask them if they'd be kind enough to proof read the M.R. letter.

He's worked his whole life since the age of 16 so it's really important to me that he doesn't get f***ed around by DWP here. I'm doing ok with the letter but there are some things I'm not sure about in my writing, who I should be addressing to and that kind of thing.

I thought I'd keep you guys updated for those interested, though if I'm to continue updating I don't know whether its worth making a new thread since the topic has changed quite drastically.

Thanks everybody.

hasteyninja

bully3061 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by london123 Tue May 18, 2021 12:11 pm

When I changed from JSA to UC . I was then 3 months behind in my rent. i had to borrow the money or face eviction. i was never in any debt whatsoever and the rent was always paid on time, until i changed over then the nightmare began. After paying 3 months rent upfront, i still get rent arrears letters to this day.

london123

bully3061 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oneman Tue May 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Do NOT change over to UC unless forced too by a change in circumstances.
UC if fine when it works the problem is it very rarely does. It's another one of IDS's  disasters and a  26 billion pound disaster at that.
When UC goes wrong (and it will) you have much less chance of getting it sorted to your advantage as they have closed all the gaps that were in JSA that we could use to our advantage like only looking for more than one job a week. If you get a decent workroach then things might be easier but I have had 7 different people in just over a year and the last one asked me what a draughtsman  was (my main job) when I had been with him for 3 month!
If I had the chance I would go back on JSA tomorrow as they have you by the balls on UC.
The only good thing about UC is you don't have to go to the JCP but even that can change if they ask you to come in.
Another thing. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you have to live with the person to get CA and it doesn't sound like you do?
oneman
oneman

Brutus and bully3061 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down