BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Employers NI contribution.

3 posters

Go down

Employers NI contribution. Empty Employers NI contribution.

Post by Caker Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm

I have been offered agency work that I am keen to take. However, the agency person has told me (telephone call) that employers NI will not appear on my payslip (I am paid PAYE). I queried this and was told it is because ‘NI is deducted at source’. This person is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

The pay is high enough to attract employers NI and the agency (as the employer) is liable to pay it. I have asked for a written explanation and I have been sent an email which just talks about NI being deducted at source but makes no mention of employers NI as mentioned in the phone call.

I can’t find anything about why the agency would tell me employers NI will not show on my payslip.

Does anyone have any insights?

Am I right to be suspicious?

Additionally:

The agency person has advised me that NI at a rate of 13.8% is 'deducted at source'. I have performed my own investigations and I have found that 13.8% is the employer's contribution rate, so not deducted at all, but contributed. I think this 'deducted at source' phrase is being used in an attempt to confuse me (all NI and tax are deducted at source).

The person has also rolled up holiday pay into the basic rate (another story altogether).

I suspect the agency person thinks they are dealing with someone financially illiterate pale

Last edited by Caker on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Employers NI contribution. Empty Re: Employers NI contribution.

Post by D.Appleby Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am

D.Appleby

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 am

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/holiday-pay-the-basics

Holiday pay should be paid for the time when annual leave is taken. An employer cannot include an amount for holiday pay in the hourly rate (known as ‘rolled-up holiday pay’).

https://www.davidsonmorris.com/rolled-up-holiday-pay/

the UK government has not put in place legislation prohibiting the use of rolled up holiday pay, although it does in non-statutory guidance, state that any contract which includes rolled up holiday pay should be renegotiated.
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52 am

I had my suspicions that they are planning to put my pay through an umbrella scheme behind my back. I will be having very stern words with the agency worker about this.

It looks like they are trying to classify me as self employed, behind my back and without my consent.

Many thanks Absolut and D. Appleby. This has really helped me see what they are up to Embarassed

I may not be taking that job after all Shocked Embarassed

Last edited by Caker on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:31 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to thank both posters, sorry.)
Caker
Caker

D.Appleby likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:56 am

I wouldn't trust any company that uses rolled up holiday pay in the main wage unless it was a very high hourly rate.
Absolut
Absolut

Caker and D.Appleby like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 am

....no it is at the lower end of the hourly rate scale for my occupation.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 am

The employer NI not appearing on a payslip does seem to indicate self-employment, which means you get to dictate who you work for, where and for how many hours. If you can't do that then it's a breach of IR35. No matter what it says in their paperwork you would clearly be an employee.
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:49 am

My last two payslips from two different employers don't show employers NI contribution, only the one deducted from my wages. I don't think it should be a problem. In any case, get a HMRC online account and you can check it from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Miguel1975 wrote:My last two payslips from two different employers don't show employers NI contribution, only the one deducted from my wages. I don't think it should be a problem. In any case, get a HMRC online account and you can check it from there.

If your earnings were less than £792 per month then the employer's contribution is zero. Any more than that and they are obliged to pay NICS. If they have not then they may have robbed you of the NI credits you are entitled to from the employer.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-rates-letters

It is definitely a problem.

I may contact HMRC (I won't need an account to speak with them) and ask their opinion about the agency's operating procedures.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Absolut wrote:The employer NI not appearing on a payslip does seem to indicate self-employment, which means you get to dictate who you work for, where and for how many hours. If you can't do that then it's a breach of IR35. No matter what it says in their paperwork you would clearly be an employee.

I think that is exactly what they are up to. I see jobs advertised as 'outside IR35', which looks calculated to confuse Evil or Very Mad

In this case, the job was not advertised. A former manager had asked the agency for me by name.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:01 pm

......Quite apart from the NI situation, the agency person seems unfamiliar with the correct calculation for holiday pay. I know it is 12.07% of pay (hourly rate). The agency person seems to know this but s/he seems to be taking that percentage off the basic in order to add it back on and arrive at the pay rate.

Since holiday pay is extra then 12.07% should actually be added onto the basic without taking it off first. I am struggling to find a web based resource to prove this. There used to be one on gov.uk but it has been altered and does not have the facility to perform a calculation based on an hourly rate.

Does anyone know of anything I can send this person to prove the above? Not sure if I am dealing with a fool or someone sneaky scratch
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 am

Caker wrote:Since holiday pay is extra then 12.07% should actually be added onto the basic without taking it off first.

The confusion is the calculation of 12.07% and the fact that holiday pay is not extra, it's simply part of the overall yearly wage. We take the time and are paid for not working. We don't tend to take the money, hence the confusion.

Everyone is entitled to the equivalent of 4 weeks annual leave (pro rata) per year over 52 weeks, except an agency worker might only work for 4 weeks before moving onto something else. For simplicity, let's say the wage is £10,000 per year (no tax, no NI) and you work 20 hours per week. That is an hourly rate of £9.16 per hour. 20 hours x 4 weeks x £9.16 per hour gives holiday pay of £769.23 (from the £10,000). That's £14.79 for every week you work and you don't take the time. This translates as 73p per hour owed in holiday pay over 20 hours per week. If you only worked for 4 weeks you'd be owed £59.17 in holiday pay. Therefore, the wage that includes rolled up holiday pay would be £9.89 per hour. At least, that's the way I see it, but I could be wrong.

The rolled up holiday pay calculation really isn't the issue. The issue is that they are not allowing an employee to take the actual holiday and that could land them in court when that employee later claims the unfairness of the contract. They might prefer to take the time. That is why the agency should offer that option, if not avoid rolled up holiday pay altogether and simply calculate and pay holiday pay at the end of the contract or allow you to take the time.
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 am

If this agency rings too many bells, just dump them and move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 am

Miguel1975 wrote:If this agency rings too many bells, just dump them and move on.

Update: I have now done exactly that. I am sad to miss out on the job though Sad
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down