BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easier access to physiotherapists

2 posters

Go down

Easier access to physiotherapists Empty Easier access to physiotherapists

Post by Caker Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 am

Now that GP surgeries are joining up together in primary care networks (PCNs) it is likely that more physiotherapists will be employed in GP surgeries. This means that patients can ask to see a physiotherapist without needing to see a GP first. GPs like this because they don't need to see those patients, so their time is freed up to see other patients.

A physiotherapist in general practice will typically provide treatment, give advice or refer on to another healthcare service if needed. It is anticipated that initially, they will just be treating bone, joint or muscle problems.

Physiotherapists in general practice are expected to have the same access to hospital services as GPs have, (referring for scans/other tests) and are able to interpret test results. Some have undertaken further study to qualify in prescribing and/or joint injection therapy or are studying towards this.

More here

Last edited by Caker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Easier access to physiotherapists Empty Re: Easier access to physiotherapists

Post by Absolut Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 am

Sounds great, but it's going to be a while before such a service is actually available. I can't get in to see my GP at all, I can't get an x-ray as the hospital is too far away and they are no longer doing local x-rays 5 minutes away from my home. The GP got a local physio to ring me - no face to face allowed during covid and so I could only give a verbal description of the problem. Due to her misunderstanding something that I said over the phone, she didn't send me any paper-based exercise advice. I had to look it up on the Internet. She's not phoned me back either, to see how I'm getting on. Sad
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm

@A
I am sorry that you have had such a poor experience.

There is a lot of hype about this new role (especially fanfare from the CSP) that it is always good to see how it is really working.

Easier access to physiotherapists 2035158131

My understanding is that NHS is funding these posts initially. Perhaps that is a sweetener to encourage GP practice take-up. I wonder how it will develop in the future (if the experiment gains traction).
Question
Caker
Caker

Absolut likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

This link may help some people....

https://www.pat.nhs.uk/gps-and-partners/exercise-videos.htm

I/others try to complete a variety of exercises in bed/sitting down, because I/they cannot stand very long.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down