BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

negotiation of salary

3 posters

Go down

negotiation of salary Empty negotiation of salary

Post by El-dudeareno Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 am

I was wondering if “negotiation of salary” should be added to these pointless ‘soft skills’ course I have been on? Once I tried to get a conversation going about  salary negotiation, with the tutor. However, they don’t want to know and just teach from the book  Rolling Eyes .  Yet I feel this could be a worthwhile skill to learn? pirat

Also do people think that is might ‘scuttle’ there chances of getting the job? As it seems to be employers don’t want anyone to who seem will stand up for themselves and not be a submissive sheep  pig .

El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

negotiation of salary Empty Re: negotiation of salary

Post by Caker Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:54 pm

I can see that the JC would not want anyone to scuttle their chances by negotiating the salary.

My top tips (these have worked for me):

Like a Star @ heaven Never mention your current salary even if the employer asks for this. I would say that it is private information and does not pertain to the job you are being interviewed for (you would not ask the employer about his/her current salary. You deserve the same respect  Neutral ).

Like a Star @ heaven Never use a payslip/P45/P60 as your ID (I have been asked for all of these at some point). They give away your bargaining power. Always use something else as ID instead.

In the interview for the last job that I did, the employer asked me what my salary expectation was. I then replied that I would prefer to be guided on that one as he had more expertise in such matters (flattery). He then proceeded to offer more than I had in mind. Cool

Last edited by Caker on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add more)
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:03 am

Caker wrote:Never mention your current salary even if the employer asks for this. I would say that it is private information and does not pertain to the job you are being interviewed for (you would not ask the employer about his/her current salary. You deserve the same respect  Neutral ).

I find questions about current and/or previous salary appearing on application forms to be intrusive. I leave all sections about salary completely blank or I put n/a (in other words, it's none of your business).

Why are we even made to "negotiate" the salary anyway? Why can't the employer be honest and simply say what they are willing to pay? Is it because they would very much like to pay less for a higher skill level with a candidate who doesn't realise their own worth?  Shocked

Caker wrote:I can see that the JC would not want anyone to scuttle their chances by negotiating the salary.

As far as they are concerned if you don't offer yourself at the NMW then you have deliberately refused employment and a sanction will be issued.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am

I also leave out the salary on all application forms. I agree that it is intrusive.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by El-dudeareno Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 pm

El-dudeareno
El-dudeareno

http://dudeism.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content