BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members' experiences of Universal Credit

5 posters

Go down

Members' experiences of Universal Credit Empty Members' experiences of Universal Credit

Post by Gallazz Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm aware that several RB members are now on Universal Credit (mainly the equivalent of JSA). Basically, I'm interested to know if it's as bad as it sounds.

The five week wait is obviously horrendous for anyone migrating from legacy benefits - how did you survive it?

Aside from that, is the 35 hours of work search activity really diffcult to evidence? Is there more pressure and/or scrutiny from work coaches, or are work search reviews the same as on JSA except for the requirement to produce more detailed evidence?

Any contributions appreciated.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Members' experiences of Universal Credit Empty Re: Members' experiences of Universal Credit

Post by Jara Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 am

Both me and my partner been on UC for 7 months now. We have different work coaches and both are looking for work. This is just my personal experience.

Gallazz wrote:Aside from that, is the 35 hours of work search activity really diffcult to evidence?

Not been a problem for neither of us. In fact none of the work coaches we talked to have even mentioned 35 hours of work search. I did get the question at times why I have not gotten a job since I have done a lot of job search.

Gallazz wrote:Is there more pressure and/or scrutiny from work coaches, or are work search reviews the same as on JSA except for the requirement to produce more detailed evidence?

Pressure is higher for sure. There are more scrutiny too.

On JSA most work coaches wanted to sign you on as quick as possible. That was the end goal it felt back then. Now on UC you don't sign on any more. So work coaches needs something else to talk about. That involves trying to put you on more courses, job fairs and stuff.

They talk a lot more about what you are going to next after the appointment. My work coach been interested in the replies I get from employers. They had me change my CV and cover letter a lot more than when I was on JSA.

Jara

Back to top Go down

Members' experiences of Universal Credit Empty Re: Members' experiences of Universal Credit

Post by Gallazz Sat May 02, 2020 12:15 am

Cheers, Jara.

Jara wrote:

Not been a problem for neither of us. In fact none of the work coaches we talked to have even mentioned 35 hours of work search. I did get the question at times why I have not gotten a job since I have done a lot of job search.

I've had that question myself. So do you state how long you've spent on each activity?

Jara wrote: On JSA most work coaches wanted to sign you on as quick as possible. That was the end goal it felt back then. Now on UC you don't sign on any more. So work coaches needs something else to talk about.

That makes sense.

Jara wrote: They talk a lot more about what you are going to next after the appointment. My work coach been interested in the replies I get from employers. They had me change my CV and cover letter a lot more than when I was on JSA.

They usually ask me if I've had replies from any employers, but don't really press me for details. Years ago, I had a mandatory appointment with NCS on CV writing (no-one asked to see the CV I had). But yeah, still dreading UC.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat May 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies👍, I am in a similar boat. Two points does the work roach push the use of the universal credit journal. As have seen people stressed out about items on there "Todo list".

And as I understand it there is no regular appointments with the roach🤡 , so approx how many times a month do you need to visit them? Some people said it is between 10-12 days, others mentioned it was a monthly meeting? So planning your life around the appointments, can be an issue? If you're used to a regular signing appointment.
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Sat May 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Gallazz wrote:I've had that question myself. So do you state how long you've spent on each activity?

No. I don't even give them location of the jobs, employers name or ID number for any jobs. They have yet to ask for any of that, but if they do I can provide details on selected individual jobs I have applied for.

Gallazz wrote:Years ago, I had a mandatory appointment with NCS on CV writing (no-one asked to see the CV I had). But yeah, still dreading UC.

It's not been a smooth ride to say the least. At least I am enjoying a break now with the lockdown.

Pintel wrote:so approx how many times a month do you need to visit them? Some people said it is between 10-12 days, others mentioned it was a monthly meeting?

Both me and my partner had an appointment every three or four weeks. That was going to change with just before the lockdown with us going on the online appointment thing.

Jara

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joey911 Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Gallazz wrote:Aside from that, is the 35 hours of work search activity really diffcult to evidence? Is there more pressure and/or scrutiny from work coaches, or are work search reviews the same as on JSA except for the requirement to produce more detailed evidence?

Any contributions appreciated.

Jara pretty much hit the nail on the head with this

"On JSA most work coaches wanted to sign you on as quick as possible. That was the end goal it felt back then. Now on UC you don't sign on any more. So work coaches needs something else to talk about. "

Also I would add that on JSA you would normally see a different advisor every fortnight who you may have never seen before or very rarely. On UC you get one workcoach and thats your lot; you will always see him/her. With the exception of absense or illness etc.

This can be a good thing if the work coach is a decent person. A bad thing if they are not. Fortunately I got very lucky with mine and he happens to be a very nice man who has never pressured me into anything or been an ass about anything.

Don't believe everything you read online about the journal or the "35 hour jobsearch" requirement. In reality this is nonsense. The truth is your experience of UC will boil down to what you can't possibly have any control over - your work coach.

However, even with one of the more aggressive or not very nice work coaches there are ways you can circumvent any such requirements. Just use your head, and keep your head down....if it says you have to use your journal in your claimant commitment then use it. It will never specify HOW you have to use it. You can simply just write some generic jobsearching activity and add "more information available on request"

So I've experienced both JSA and UC, and tbh they are pretty much the same thing to me. The journal/online aspect of it was always going to be inevitable given it's 2020, no matter what they call it.

P.S - You may be asked to attend weekly for the first 13 weeks of your claim like I was. But after that it is just a fortnightly appointment as on JSA but the days and times are more flexible. It's usually the same day though every 2 weeks.

joey911

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon May 04, 2020 12:47 pm

One point about the transfer from old benefits to Universal Credit, does anyone know if you are treated as a new claim? While it would have some plus and minuses, such as weekly appointments. However, are you still eligible to be on the "Health &Work" program, as I thought you had to be unemployed for a period of two years, before you could be liable to be forwarded to this? So if you're classed as a new claimants, this rule should apply?🤔
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Mon May 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Pintel wrote:One point about the transfer from old benefits to Universal Credit, does anyone know if you are treated as a new claim? While it would have some plus and minuses, such as weekly appointments. However, are you still eligible to be on the "Health &Work" program, as I thought you had to be unemployed for a period of two years, before you could be liable to be forwarded to this? So if you're classed as a new claimants, this rule should apply?🤔

I believe you are still eligible for the WHP in these circumstances. I'm off out now but can add links later, if no-one else does in the mean time (I think I've said that before, and then failed to provide links).

EDIT- Welfare Champion answers your question in this thread:

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t4304-whp-random-allocation-referral-tool#12177

Last edited by Gallazz on Mon May 04, 2020 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add more)

Gallazz

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Mon May 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Me and my partner moved from JSA to UC because of circumstances changed. Neither of us were put on weekly appointments. Shortest time period between appointments I think been 3 weeks so far.

No mention of WHP yet either Smile

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by joey911 Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Jara wrote:Me and my partner moved from JSA to UC because of circumstances changed. Neither of us were put on weekly appointments. Shortest time period between appointments I think been 3 weeks so far.

No mention of WHP yet either Smile

Right, that'll be why then Smile

I've been a new UC claimant twice now actually (sustained employment between them when I closed my claim) and I had the weekly appointments for the first 3 months on both claims.

So if you're transferring from legacy benefits to UC then I guess this is something you won't have to do. But the 3 weeks thing is interesting. Again, like I said it all boils down to your work coach I guess.

On my first UC claim it was every 2 weeks but I had the option to specify a day/time for my next one. So if my appointment was on a Monday I could say "next time can I come on a Wednesday?"  so I got 16 days between them instead of 14 etc.

Now (pre-lockdown) I just get booked in for every 2nd Thursday but I could probably change this if I wanted to.

This is definitely a positive of UC as if my memory serves me correct it was impossible to change your JSA signing-on date because it was something to do with your national insurance number? scratch

joey911

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm

UC is effectively nothing different to how all other unemployment systems have worked.Promises of specific, tailored help is an absolute joke. It's still a sheep herding system forcing people if the can:into very low paid temporary work.Or, if they fail at that too; farm claimants out to some agency.

As for being able to choose specific dates to go into roach shop, cant see how that's such a great thing.Is this the best constructive idea they could come up with over past 10 years.

The weekly appointments is an an absolute joke and an insult to all having to comply with this ludicrous system.Ultimately, zero happens due to those first 3 month weekly appointments.There just to piss people off from the get go. Twisted Evil

Overall quality standards i will give it 3/10.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 pm

jobberpw wrote:UC is effectively nothing different to how all other unemployment systems have worked.Promises of specific, tailored help is an absolute joke. It's still a sheep herding  system forcing people if the can:into very low paid temporary work.Or, if they fail at that too; farm claimants out to some agency.

Yeah, when you think about it, UC is quite considerably worse than JSA, uprated payments or not. Btw jobber, the site won't let me reply to your PMs.

Gallazz

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:46 am

Hi Gallazz,

just messaged you.

Jobber
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 am

Sonic is apparently today unleashing £1.4Bn for all roach centres.OMG! is all i can say.Yet another total waste of taxpayers cash all dressed up as to give specific tailored support for al long term unemployed.

I can here my phone ringing already.Got to go as it's a roach. Twisted Evil
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:25 am

@jobber It's still not letting me reply.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:30 pm

jobberpw wrote:Sonic is apparently today unleashing £1.4Bn for all roach centres.OMG! is all i can say.Yet another total waste of taxpayers cash all dressed up as to give specific tailored support for al long term unemployment :

But look on positive @Jobberpw, the £1.4Bn for the roach🕸️ centre's. think of all of them new sofa's🛋️ & staff bonuses/nights out🍾they can get with that tax-payers 💰 money! 🙃
Pintel
Pintel

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Yes Pintel I'd like to wish them a very merry christmas Evil or Very Mad

Think i got it wrong what i posted in that it maybe £1.4Bn but, a good percentage of it is will be going to all things roach shop.Also heard some further bad news in that, roachshop are to persist with their delusions of, "helping" older claimants back into ''work''.Where the hell they think this new pile of work is coming from i have no idea and i know they certainly won't.The new recruits will have just been laid off themselves and have no relevant background in recruitment or with knowing how to upskill people in today's job market.I intend to ask dwp this very question Twisted Evil on 'how they thought these new individuals were so specific to help us with "further" tailored support'.Be good to know when they eventually stat this crap cos it aint happened in the past 10 years.

New roaches just started their so called training to help the unemployed look for jobs that arent there and the only biggest recruitment drive going on a in the UK will be for new roaches.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Gallazz,

Sorry about my poxy messaging situation and will try and fix it.

Jobber

Should work now Gallazz.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down