BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the JCP lock down to be extended?

+6
Jara
Pintel
Caker
Tarquin Flotsam
Gallazz
Archangel
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is the JCP lock down to be extended? Empty Is the JCP lock down to be extended?

Post by cc120 Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:48 am

As the current level of lockdown measures have been extended to the end of the year, does this mean that we will soon be informed that claimants need not sign on after June 19 until further notice?

cc120

Back to top Go down

Is the JCP lock down to be extended? Empty Re: Is the JCP lock down to be extended?

Post by cc120 Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 am

Caker wrote:I don't think the lockdown measures have been extended to the end of the year. The government is obliged to review them every 3 weeks AFAIK, at which point they will be kept as they are or otherwise.

I believe that Chris Whitty suggested that some degree of social distancing would need to be in place until a vaccine is available. Further, he anticipates this will not be available for about a year or longer.

Thank you Caker.

cc120

Back to top Go down

Is the JCP lock down to be extended? Empty Re: Is the JCP lock down to be extended?

Post by Caker Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:32 am

I don't think the lockdown measures have been extended to the end of the year. The government is obliged to review them every 3 weeks AFAIK, at which point they will be kept as they are or otherwise.

I believe that Chris Whitty suggested that some degree of social distancing would need to be in place until a vaccine is available. Further, he anticipates this will not be available for about a year or longer.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 am

Rowena Mason and Kate Proctor (The Guardian) wrote:Social distancing will be needed until at least the end of the year to prevent fresh outbreaks of coronavirus even though the UK has reached the peak of the current epidemic, the government’s chief medical officer has said.

Prof Chris Whitty, the UK’s most senior medic, said it was important to be realistic that “highly disruptive” social distancing would need to be in place for “really quite a long period of time”.

He said there was only an “incredibly small” chance of a vaccine or treatments being ready for use this year, and social distancing would have to stay in place to suppress outbreaks until then.

His stark assessment dampened hopes that the lockdown would be largely removed when it is reviewed in just over a fortnight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/uk-will-need-social-distancing-until-at-least-end-of-year-says-whitty
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 pm

No appointments is coming to an end in about a month. There's lots of talk about reopening. Schools in June, most other things in July.

I predict (and I hope I am wrong) that Jobcentres will open up in late June or early July. However I don't think they will allow as many claimants inside at any given time.

Also now we at a record high amount of UC claimants, how are they going to have time to see everyone? I fully understand with reopening of businesses many of those that had to claim UC will now be able to find a job. However we are still going to have more people on benefits than usual. And the backlog is probably quite high.

So my guess is we are going to see physical appointments for people without phone and internet. Work coaches will work from home where they will do phone/online appointments.

There will probably be a few months before many of the courses (SBWA and such) starts up again, so I don't think we have to worry about that for a while.

What worries me most is actually a new era of austerity the coming years. BoJo may have said he is against it, but he does change his mind quite often about things.

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 pm

The projections are for at least 3 million new jobseekers, if not more, by the end of the year. This is good because it means JCP roaches will be so overflowed with workloads that signing on (should we ever again do it in person) would be as quick as it was in the 1990s—in and out, no questions asked. The more unemployed there are, the less roach hassle for each of them.

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Fri May 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Someone called Abmeire that seems to be working at DWP have posted in a Reddit thread about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DWPhelp/comments/gs6nwp/have_there_been_any_indications_as_to_when/fs4md9j/
(I am sorry if I am mistaken in thinking they are working in a Jobcentre)

We have had no official word on when jobcentres will be reopening to the public. They have been open throughout the whole pandemic to staff only. Work coaches are going into the office to validate certain things on new claims, make phone calls to claimant etc.

My instinct is that they won't be opening to the public for a while, not until they can figure out a safe way to do it. Even then, I imagine it will be an only when absolutely necessary kind of deal,ie if we cannot verify something using our systems and a claimant needs to bring down physical evidence.

Also, the civil service has a pretty hardcore Union. There will be measures upon measures put in place so that staff at the jobcentre can work safely, so when normality resumes, physically, you should be relatively safe in the jobcentre building at least.

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm

I cannot find any new information from DWP to your question at this time.

DWP maybe introducing screens in Jobcentres but I think this is unlikely, bearing in mind Jobseekers and PIP/ESA claimants do not need to attend physical interviews to support their claims.

Interesting times!

Last edited by MayBe on Sat May 30, 2020 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 pm

MayBe wrote:Hi Jara,

I cannot find any new information from DWP to your question at this time.

DWP maybe introducing screens in Jobcentres but I think this is unlikely, bearing in mind Jobseekers and PIP/ESA claimants do not need to attend physical interviews to support their claims.

Interesting times!

Hey! I am not the one that asked any question here, I don't even have a Reddit account.
I was just letting people know of what a potential DWP-staff said in that thread Smile

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Jara, thanks for the link to Reddit. It looks like the chances of sanctions being as common as they were before the lockdown, will be less common after it.

Looks also like the DWP will be so inundated with new claimants (estimated to be in the millions) once Sunak's magic money tree runs out, that they won't have time to bully current claimants.

Have I died and gone to heaven!

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Some Jobcentres are going to resume with phone work search appointments next week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DWPhelp/comments/gy959i/job_centre_work_search_appointments_resume_next/

Jara

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:18 am

I would suggest close monitoring of UCj (for those on UC), to ensure you do not miss anything.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 am

Re "work search appointments":

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/371/made

Universal credit and new style JSA – work-related requirements

6.—(1) As a consequence of the outbreak of coronavirus disease, where a person has an award of new style JSA or an award of universal credit—

(a)the Secretary of State must not impose a work search requirement(19) on that person;

(b)a work search requirement previously applying to such a person ceases to have effect from the date on which these Regulations come into force; and

(c)“able and willing immediately to take up paid work” under a work availability requirement(20) imposed on such a person means able and willing to take up paid work, or attend an interview, immediately once this regulation ceases to apply.

(2) This regulation applies for a period of 3 months beginning with the date that these Regulations come into force and the Secretary of State may extend that period for all cases or any class of case where it appears expedient as a consequence of the continuation of the outbreak of coronavirus disease.

(3) In this regulation, “new style JSA” means an allowance under the Jobseekers Act 1995 as amended by the amendments made by Part 1 of Schedule 14 to the Welfare Reform Act 2012 that remove references to an income-based allowance.

The legislation came into force on 30 March, so no work search requirements up to 30 June. Any jobcentre coach that says otherwise is talking out of the back of their head.
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Some people think the 3-month suspension ends today. Not sure myself, it's just a heads-up.

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:43 am

Just phoned my JC today. A voice message came on saying that claimants don't have to sign on till further notice. It said they will contact claimants when they do need to sign on again.

Archangel

Gallazz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jara Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:43 pm

Archangel wrote:Just phoned my JC today. A voice message came on saying that claimants don't have to sign on till further notice. It said they will contact claimants when they do need to sign on again.

The PCS Union states that DWP is trying to reopen Jobcentres quite soon: https://www.pcs.org.uk/department-for-work-and-pensions/news/pcs-opposes-moves-for-dwp-to-reopen-jobcentres-to-the-public

Jara

Caker and Gallazz like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 am

If they do re-open it will be the usual shambles. Best make sure none of us accidentally breathe or cough on the roach or we'll be subject to an unacceptable customer behaviour letter or arrested by the police for allegedly trying to kill them. Very Happy
Absolut
Absolut

Caker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 am

If summoned to an interview, it might be an idea to say that a contact tracer has told you to self isolate as you have been in the proximity of an infected person. I understand that there is no limit to the amount of times a person can be requested to self isolate under those circumstances Wink
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:23 am

If an open space, such as a crowded beach, is considered risky, however can the enclosed (and often stuffy) environment of a JC office be considered safe?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/matt-hancock-warns-brits-to-enjoy-beaches-safely-or-risk-undoing-countrys-hard-work-on-covid19
Caker
Caker

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_FV Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

It is unlikely that people without disabilities will be invited to attend face-to-face meeting at the Jobcentre on a regular basis.

UC/JSA claimants need to to check their contact arrangements with DWP.

DWP can still notify claimant of suitable vacancies via a variety of agreed sources..

Mary_FV
Mary_FV

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cc120 Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 pm

Caker wrote:If summoned to an interview, it might be an idea to say that a contact tracer has told you to self isolate as you have been in the proximity of an infected person. I understand that there is no limit to the amount of times a person can be requested to self isolate under those circumstances Wink
Very Happy But won't they require details such as the name of the contact tracer, etc?

cc120

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:03 am

cc120 wrote:
Caker wrote:If summoned to an interview, it might be an idea to say that a contact tracer has told you to self isolate as you have been in the proximity of an infected person. I understand that there is no limit to the amount of times a person can be requested to self isolate under those circumstances Wink
Very Happy But won't they require details such as the name of the contact tracer, etc?

Even if you gave the name of a contact tracer, I am not sure what a DWP worker could do with that information.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:01 pm

On a side point here, as a person to whom has been told to "Shield". I got a letter from the Dept of health & social care: from the 6 July, able to create a 'support bubble' with another household. 1Aug: you can go to work, as long as covid19 safe?(no idea how this will be in the JCP? 'But should remain cautious'. Then further down it says: "you will be able to use this letter as evidence for your employer to show that you cannot work outside your home until 31 July".
So if I am called into the JCP office 🚽 before 1st August, could I refuse on health grounds? In addition to this I would need to travel by public transport, so again increasing the risk to me.😾
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:22 am

Pintel wrote:On a side point here, as a person to whom has been told to "Shield". I got a letter from the Dept of health & social care: from the 6 July, able to create a 'support bubble' with another household. 1Aug: you can go to work, as long as covid19 safe?(no idea how this will be in the JCP? 'But should remain cautious'. Then further down it says: "you will be able to use this letter as evidence for your employer to show that you cannot work outside your home until 31 July".
So if I am called into the JCP office 🚽 before 1st August, could I refuse on health grounds? In addition to this I would need to travel by public transport, so again increasing the risk to me.😾

The letter looks contradictory you can go to work, as long as covid19 safe whatever that even means  Question

AND

you will be able to use this letter as evidence for your employer to show that you cannot work outside your home until 31 July

I think if you are called to the JCP office you should email a copy of the letter and request their written guidance about how their office has been made safe for claimants advised to shield.

Public transport: I recently went on a bus. The driver refused to let people on without face coverings. Whilst a group were busy concocting face coverings from other garments, I already had my scarf with me so I got on ahead of them. I found the seats were labelled as those that could be used and those not to be, so there was a lot of space around the available seats. When the other passengers had got themselves organised, they went upstairs and I had the lower deck to myself. Same on the return journey. Not suggesting all public transport is like that.
Caker
Caker

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cc120 Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Caker wrote:
cc120 wrote:

Even if you gave the name of a contact tracer, I am not sure what a DWP worker could do with that information.
I guess it would prove difficult for them to check any name.

cc120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next