BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs

3 posters

Go down

Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs Empty Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

75,000 retail posts held by women have gone as online shopping rises, study says.

The switch to e-commerce means entry level shop floor jobs for teenage girls and part-time shop work for older women are evaporating.

A surge in shop closures and the growth of automated retail are forcing tens of thousands of women out of work, according to a study of the economic pain caused by high street decline.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/sep/12/online-shopping-forcing-women-out-of-work-study

Back to top Go down

Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs Empty Re: Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs

Post by jobberpw Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 pm

I wonder how many men have also been affected.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs Empty Re: Shop closures and self-checkouts cost tens of thousands of women's jobs

Post by Caker Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 pm

I think we see a shift away from retail and towards the care of the elderly sector, which also employs women and girls. That is where the jobs are.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:32 pm

I agree Caker. Not much left here now, a lot closing down and more automation coming in. Coffee shops and the like will not sustain peoples rents or mortgages, unless they can work or are willing to ninety hours a week.

Yes, my job centre has a ton of them in that sector as does many recruitment agencies throughout the country. A growing market where jobsworth politicians give a false pat on the back to all who work in it. While the bosses of those companies make huge profit at the expense and hard work of the few willing to take up such opportunities.

unfortunately the pay associated with the care sector most adults can't live on and bottom line to coin a phrase... don't want to This is why joke centre have an endless supply of such great opportunities.
If they paid decent money then just maybe, they might get more interest from people. But despite whatever the pay I feel you have to be cut out for this type of work.

Jobber
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 am

I can see why working in the care sector is not appealing. It is just such low pay, and, as you say, owner managers getting rich at the expense of workers. The sector is riddled with poor practice, for instance, not allowing for travel time between community clients, so it is necessary to leave 1 client early and arrive late for another; this way, clients get short changed for care calls. Another insidious (and now illegal) practice is to require care workers to log their visit via client's landline upon arrival and departure and therefore only receive payment for the time with the client and not for travel between clients.

It is clear why the care sector has a high turnover and struggles to attract workers.

On a different note, nail bars are abundant in my area. I hesitate to call them salons, they reek of organic and noxious chemicals used in nail treatments and they are set up in shops which are not equipped with air conditioning / extraction equipment - horrible places.

I agree that this work is not financially sustainable for those who do it.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:34 pm

I refuse to use self service checkouts. When they first brought them in I knew what would happen.

Our town is full of charity shops, hairdressers and mobile phone shops. I expect it's the same everywhere.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 pm

My town is full of hairdressers, beauty salons, charity shops, cafes, takeaways and vaping shops.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:23 am

Ah yep, I forgot the vaping shops. I'm guilty of not frequenting them and buying my supplies online (cheaper).
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down