BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc?

2 posters

Go down

Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc? Empty Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I have been giving a look at the UC regulations and the Decision Makers Guides with regards to housing costs and living permanently in a motorhome, in particular Chapter F2: Housing costs element:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/798300/admf2.pdf

All I've found is this:

Rent Payments Rent payments
F2041 [...] Subject to F2042 and F2043 rent payments are
1. payments of rent
[...]
4.where accommodation is a caravan or mobile home, payments in respect of the site on which it stands

and:

Payments excluded from being rent payments
F2042 Rent payments do not include payments
1. of ground rent  
2. in respect of a tent or the site on which a tent stands
3. in respect of approved premises
4. in respect of a care home
5.which are service charge payments as in F2050.
6. in respect of specified accommodation 7. payments in respect of temporary accommodation.

In particular, my plan is to:
- leave my current accommodation as it's not fit for purpose;
- buy a 2nd hand van
- put all my belongings in a self access storage unit (this would cost me at least £100 a month)
- use the storage unit as a post collection, etc. (and this is another £70-100 on top)

I wonder if the costs of paying for the storage unit can be recovered as "housing costs".

From F2041 and F2042 as quote above, this is not either expressly defined or excluded.

I don't understand what the guide means for "mobile home". Is it a motorhome or a static caravan? This would make a world of difference.

With a motorhome it's virtually impossible to find a permanent ground that one can rent, as I was told there's a time limit of 28 consecutive days that one can stay on the same pitch.

And if I moved about every 28 days, would that be covered as housing cost.

Any help will be appreciated, as this is the last obstacle for me from moving into a mobile accommodation.

Back to top Go down

Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc? Empty Re: Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc?

Post by Non Deficere Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 am

Last edited by Non Deficere on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added correct link)
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc? Empty Re: Can I claim housing costs if I live in a motorhome, camper van, etc?

Post by Paul61 Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am

Hi, Had a look through the regulations, don't think you will get any help on Storage payments.
Ground rent, where you park your vehicle, one bit says you can get help, then another part contradicts itself ?
Years ago when in a similar situation I parke off road in rural areas for free.
We have an Irish lad on our forum been living in converted vans for years,
But does not claim any benefits, will put your question to him, might shed some light.

Paul61

https://unemployment-gb.freeforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks ND. I didn't have high hopes anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 am

Paul61 wrote:
We have an Irish lad on our forum been living in converted vans for years,
But does not claim any benefits, will put your question to him, might shed some light.
I'd have asked on your forum as well, if it's weren't that you kicked me out of it and I can't log ever since I and Tarquin mentioned what was going on with your neo-Nazi friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down