BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to complete all items on CC

4 posters

Go down

Unable to complete all items on CC Empty Unable to complete all items on CC

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:03 pm

So I have now agreed my CC but it contains many things that need to be done on-line (job search, job applications etc). I have told the roach that my only internet access is at my library ( Unable to complete all items on CC 3889284177  ). The library provides 30 minutes of free computer use (actually 29 minutes once the system has booted up) so that is just 3 hours per week (library is closed Sundays). Any more is charged at £1/hour.

I wonder if vulnerable claimants are getting caught out by being given more on-line tasks than they can reasonably complete in the time they have internet access. Evil or Very Mad
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Unable to complete all items on CC Empty Re: Unable to complete all items on CC

Post by Non Deficere Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Caker wrote:I wonder if vulnerable claimants are getting caught out by being given more on-line tasks than they can reasonably complete in the time they have internet access.
Evil or Very Mad

The certainly are Caker! Sad

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com/t2636-16-uc-sanctions?highlight=9+sanctions

Last edited by Non Deficere on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Just had a thought. On the basis of only having 3 hours computer access, how many jobs might it be reasonable to apply for every week?

I would probably spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at vacancies on one site. I would then spend 15 to 20 minutes one one good quality tailored application to one job.

My CC also says that I will complete my online continued professional development. If I did that I would not have time for any job applications.

Registering with agencies takes ages. Their forms and mandatory training courses take hours (1 had 29 online courses to complete for compliance purposes).

Fortunately I can get all these done but I am just thinking about the provision of evidence and what number of jobs meets the 'all that is expected' criteria.

I am very interested in what other people do to prove they did 'enough'.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Caker wrote:Just had a thought. On the basis of only having 3 hours computer access, how many jobs might it be reasonable to apply for every week?

I would probably spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at vacancies on one site. I would then spend 15 to 20 minutes one one good quality tailored application to one job.

My CC also says that I will complete my online continued professional development. If I did that I would not have time for any job applications.

Registering with agencies takes ages. Their forms and mandatory training courses take hours (1 had 29 online courses to complete for compliance purposes).

Fortunately I can get all these done but I am just thinking about the provision of evidence and what number of jobs meets the 'all that is expected' criteria.

I am very interested in what other people do to prove they did 'enough'.

I am having a think on this question. I foresee troubled waters ahead!
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:26 pm

much appreciated. It is worrying.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Initial thoughts and ideas:

Alternative work search activities can be agreed such as searching in the newspapers, contacting employers directly, registering with agencies who will search for vacancies on their behalf, use computers under supervision from jobcentre/probation staff, obtain support from support agencies (Local Authority, charities etc.).

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/552857/response/1320694/attach/2/Non%20Digital%20relationships.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

The benefit of non digital jobsearch is, that it can't be corroborated. Cool

The number of jobs cannot be quantified, it is the quality that is most important.  Claimants are expected to carry out work search/preparation activities appropriate to their circumstances and which give them the best chance of securing employment.

Research, planning and preparation for applications/interviews can be completed at home.

Volunteering can make a significant dent in the expected hours if you can find something of interest, which may also include relevant training.  

/hidden

Provision of cooroboration should not be required at every evidence meeting.  You can keep a records of emails received within a dedicated folder.  Mailed replies can easily be provided.  If requested you can email the online information to DWP.   You will also have a record of job reference numbers in your work search diary.

Last edited by Non Deficere on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks ND, there is plenty of material.

With regard to paying for extra computer time, I was thinking of people who could argue that they cannot afford extra computer time and therefore have to limit their online activity to the free provision. This must, by extension, limit what they can be expected to do each week Unable to complete all items on CC 3889284177
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:53 pm

Caker wrote:Thanks ND, there is plenty of material.

With regard to paying for extra computer time, I was thinking of people who could argue that they cannot afford extra computer time and therefore have to limit their online activity to the free provision. This must, by extension, limit what they can be expected to do each week Unable to complete all items on CC 3889284177

This is a tricky one.  Claimants are expected to spend a reasonable amount of their benefit on job search!  Prior to online jobsites unemployed people were usually required to visit the Jobcentre weekly at their own expense to check the vacancy boards.  Jobcentres provided newspapers and Jobclubs where all costs were met (travel expenses, stationery, photocopying facilities and postage). One would think that online job search would reduce the cost!!  Broadband and mobile devices are not cheap and for those who do not have access to a computer/internet a trip to the local library or Jobcentre will incur travel expenses for many people.  DWP expects most claimants to jobsearch at least 5 times per week so the costs can be very high indeed.  Some people are walking miles, because they cannot afford the bus fare.  

Example:

Need to sign on? You'll have to walk 24 miles to the jobcentre

Each week, it takes Ray Taylor an entire day to claim benefits. He can’t afford the bus – and others in his Cambridgeshire town won’t have the option either when the route is cut in March.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/07/need-to-sign-on-youll-have-to-walk-24-miles-to-jobcentre

I doubt many people have presented a case of how unreasonable it is to spend more than a few pounds a month on job search activiities.

Last edited by Non Deficere on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info.)
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:50 pm

I see what you mean about claimants being expected to spend part of their benefit on job search. I cannot argue about that being the policy intention underpinning 'what the law says you need to live on'. Benefits have been frozen since then. I would be fascinated to read of any legal challenge if anyone posts details of such a case. study
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by ABC Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 am

Isn't it the case that if you don't have access to a computer they have to provide you time on the jobcentre computers? I'm pretty sure I've seen that in a DWP FoI.
ABC
ABC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 pm

That pretty much what I have been told by the work- roach@ABC. If you don’t have internet access at home, you can use the computers at the dole. Mind you I would be worried about any computer malware installed on these pc’s? In addition to this my local JCP has no faculties for using the toilet or having refreshments at the pc’s. So you could imaging spending a lot of time in the job centre job seeking, wouldn’t be practical  pale . While there has been a campaign to get public toilets in the job centre for the public. So far in my local JCP it is bring a bucket  Unable to complete all items on CC 2650990582 .

Also at my local JCP there is 3x security trolls, as I have seen plenty of trouble in the building. I wouldn’t want to be in the thick of it, trying to job search, or complete online applications in the middle of this racket.  Evil or Very Mad

Maybe @Caker, you could ask the roach to supply you with a computer, if it that important to them. The DWP seem to find no problem wasting money on failed IT schemes and ‘soft skills’ courses, so why not computer. Cheaper and more use than a “cat sat on the mat” course, and of more benefit. scratch

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by ABC Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Pintel wrote:That pretty much what I have been told by the work- roach@ABC. If you don’t have internet access at home, you can use the computers at the dole. Mind you I would be worried about any computer malware installed on these pc’s? In addition to this my local JCP has no faculties for using the toilet or having refreshments at the pc’s. So you could imaging spending a lot of time in the job centre job seeking, wouldn’t be practical  pale . While there has been a campaign to get public toilets in the job centre for the public. So far in my local JCP it is bring a bucket  Unable to complete all items on CC 2650990582 .

Yes, to be clear, I wasn't advocating for attending the Jobcentre for job search! For all the reasons you give it's a nightmare but I know that it is given as an option in a DWP missive.
ABC
ABC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down