BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest

3 posters

Go down

Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest Empty Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest

Post by Mary_FV Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 am

Insight from a welfare rights adviser...

Robert Armour wrote:Ever since I took up post as a welfare rights adviser I felt like a small boat against a very strong current. While I’m trying desperately to support people – many of whom are at their lowest ebb - we have a UK government actively implementing cuts to make life worse for these very people.

I’ve seen more grown adults cry as a welfare rights adviser than I did in my entire career as a social worker. It doesn’t relent: they just keep coming; I’m dealing with more cases of poverty as more welfare cuts get rolled out.

Many who have seen their benefits slashed, capped or halted come to us as a last resort. What many don’t see is the once proud people relegated to quivering wrecks. They believe no-one cares, that they’ve not only been abandoned but proactively stigmatised because, for whatever reason, they require state support. That’s fundamentally wrong and it’s not the society I want to live in.

Read more at http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/blogs/welfare-cuts-only-stigmatise-the-poorest#VkMUtoHxOx1WV10X.99
Mary_FV
Mary_FV

Back to top Go down

Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest Empty Re: Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest

Post by Absolut Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 am

No society rewards the disabled, the unemployed, the infirm.

JK Rowling had a period of time on benefits when she couldn't get work as a teacher and spent her free time writing the Harry Potter books:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

Rowling has lived a "rags to riches" life story, in which she progressed from living on state benefits to multi-millionaire status within five years.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=E5V4zfHYaw0C&pg=PA44&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

guilt shades her eyes when she talks about that time, about the indulgence of writing while living on assistance

Writing multi million £ best selling novels while on the dole?! Tsk. These days she would have received a sanction for not spending every minute of her day looking for a low paid and 'zero hours' contract job because she was "feckless", "didn't want to work" and simply wasn't trying hard enough. Suspect

Last edited by Absolut on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest Empty Re: Welfare cuts only stigmatise the poorest

Post by Caker Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 am

.........I would like to have been a fly on the wall during the conversation when she signed off the dole. lol!
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down