BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unlawful imprisonment for non-payment of council tax

2 posters

Go down

Unlawful imprisonment for non-payment of council tax Empty Unlawful imprisonment for non-payment of council tax

Post by Non Deficere Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 am

Guardian letter from Angela Rafferty QC and 57 others note that significant numbers of people are being unlawfully imprisoned for non-payment of council tax, and calls for the practice to be abolished.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12643/
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Unlawful imprisonment for non-payment of council tax Empty Re: Unlawful imprisonment for non-payment of council tax

Post by dboy Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:15 pm

"They think this is likely to be one of the largest mass miscarriages of justice in British history"

As far as I was aware they would only consider imprisonment as a last resort for those that refuse to pay, rather than those that cannot pay due to financial circumstances.

Basically if you owe the state money, where is the sense in imprisoning people at a higher cost to the public purse than the original debt.

But from this article it seems common sense has taken a nosedive.

Still the threat of large numbers of compensation claims is normally a great arm twister.

I have failed to pay ANY council tax contribution since the scheme began, once the bailiff realised I had nothing of value I have never seen them since.

I Ignore all letters,straight in the bin = peace of mind, so unless they get a warrant for my arrest for failing to pay council tax and beat me to ground and drag my lifeless body to the cells, I wont be appearing in court.

I cannot pay, my budget for food per day is £2.00 after all other priority expenses have been met.

Is paying council tax a higher priority than heating.electricity, food.

Still as long as people need governments, vote for governments, and are not able to govern themselves why complain.

learned this song at junior school, it has always stuck in my mind and had a major influence towards developing my own philosophy on life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

Die gedanken sind frei
My thoughts freely flower
Die gedanken sind frei
My thoughts give me power
No scholar can map them
No hunter can trap them
No one can deny
Die gedanken sind frei

I think as I please
And this gives me pleasure
My conscience decrees