BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals

4 posters

Go down

DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals  Empty DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals

Post by Welfare-Champion Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Many people receive incorrect Universal Credit payments as a result of Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) maladministration. As Liz* and Emma* have experienced, it can be difficult to identify maladministration when the DWP retrospectively correct their errors on peoples’ Universal Credit journals.

A reminder to all to take screen shots.

https://www.z2k.org/latest/dwps-misleading-rectification-of-universal-credit-errors/

Welfare-Champion

Caker and jobberpw like this post

Back to top Go down

DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals  Empty Re: DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals

Post by Caker Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm

The UC financial statement can be printed / saved as a pdf as soon as available. I would recommend keeping an eye on the UCj and as soon as that month's statement is available (a day or so before payment date) make a copy of it.
Caker
Caker

jobberpw likes this post

Back to top Go down

DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals  Empty Re: DWP abuses the power they have over peoples’ Universal Credit journals

Post by Welfare-Champion Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Caker wrote:The UC financial statement can be printed / saved as a pdf as soon as available. I would recommend keeping an eye on the UCj and as soon as that month's statement is available (a day or so before payment date) make a copy of it.

Thanks Caker

The problem seems to lie with the DWP editing incorrect payments on UC journals.  I am not sure if the monthly statements helps in these situations.  I have no expertise in this area at this time.

Z2K wrote:Something that I was shocked to learn, was that the DWP has retrospectively edited incorrect payments on some clients’ Universal Credit journals, causing confusion for our clients and caseworkers

cpag wrote:It’s a fundamental principle in a democracy that governmental bodies must have reasons for their decisions. It’s equally fundamental   - or should be  -  that they should be able to explain what those reasons are.  And if the explanation does not stack up, then, again on first principles, the decision should be open to review or appeal.  Yet, as this publication demonstrates, the Department for Work and Pensions is repeatedly falling down on every element of these public law obligations in its administration of universal credit…  People in need are left to guess at and grope for things, which should be clear and tangible. The consequences…feed into the stress and worry that so many people managing on low incomes experience, which in turn can affect family life for children growing up in these environments.

The report says UC helpline staff are often unable to explain how a claimant’s award has been worked out because they don’t have access to payment calculations which in the vast majority of cases are processed automatically on UC’s digital system.

Claimants’ online monthly payment statements give only basic information on how their award has been calculated so spotting errors – such as the omission of allowances for children – can be difficult or impossible for claimants (see case studies below).  And on housing costs, payment statements do not give an explanation when there is a discrepancy between the amount of rent allowed for in a UC calculation and the amount of rent actually due – often the discrepancy is because payments for rent within UC are capped by Local Housing Allowances or by the bedroom tax, but their payment statements leave claimants none the wiser1.

https://cpag.org.uk/news-blogs/news-listings/universal-credit-claimants-left-dark-about-their-entitlements

Edit:
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11258/

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 pm

nice find wc

post is now a stickey as improtant

also proves dwp can edit and alter things on uc
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://respectfulbenefits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Yes, nice find Welfare Champ and will now as you rightfully suggest take some screen shots. Cool

This also reminds me of a time when they sent a reminder by email to check my UC account and another time; found out by the surprise surprise method; messaged straight to UC journal no reminder. Very sly Twisted Evil
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:52 pm

I look at UCj every weekday to check in case anything is awry.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down