BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being Mandated onto WHP

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Being Mandated onto WHP - Page 3 Empty Re: Being Mandated onto WHP

Post by MrFrankZola on Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 pm

Non Deficere wrote:
MrFrankZola wrote:Universal Credit Claim Linking Periods
16 March 2016
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/universal_credit_claim_linking_p

I cannot see any reference to linking rules for programmes.

There are linking rules in the regulations for benefits, for example:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/3185/

I cannot find any UC linking rules at this time.

And
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/460725/response/1142387/attach/3/24%20months%20unemployment%20check.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Makes no use of the word "linking" or "linking rule"

UC Legal notice. The Work and Health Programme is a scheme under section 16 of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 and Part 8 of the Universal Credit Regulations 2013.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/556344/response/1328776/attach/3/UCD548.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

JSA Legal notice. The Work and Health Programme is an employment scheme under the Jobseeker’s Act 1995 section 17A and the Jobseeker’s Allowance (Schemes for Assisting Persons to Obtain Employment) Regulations 2013.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/556344/response/1328776/attach/5/WHPL002.pdf

> https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/work_coach_operational_policy_gu#incoming-1328776

SCHEDULE 1Universal credit: supplementary regulation-making powers

"Linking periods

2 Regulations may provide for periods of entitlement to universal credit which are separated by no more than a prescribed number of days to be treated as a single period."
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/schedule/1/crossheading/linking-periods
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/enacted

MrFrankZola

Back to top Go down

Post by Non Deficere on Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 am

Benefit linking and breaks to establish elegibility for a programme are 2 different things.  The 29 day rule applies to UC and JSA claimants unless policy has changed in the past year.  There are no regulations regarding breaks when determining elegibility for programmes/schemes.

There is no prescribed period within the WRA.  I will investigate further.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/schedule/1/crossheading/linking-periods

There are 8/12 week linking periods for new style JSA/ESA claimants.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/720974/admr1.pdf

This was easily found using the search term 'JSA linking periods'

For the purposes of the Work and Health Programme (WHP), a Long Term Unemployed(LTU)person claiming Universal Credit(UC)is defined as a claimant who is unemployed for 24 months and is within the “intensive work search regime”of the all work-related requirements group. LTUclaimants within the “intensive work search regime”of the all work-related requirements group in Universal Credit are considered for referral by their work coach. This is done on a targeted mandatory basis when they reach 24 months in this group.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/499507/response/1209912/attach/3/J%20Smith%203271.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyQunit on Fri May 03, 2019 11:43 am

Non Deficere wrote:

Very few claimants will know about the linking rules.

You cannot possibly be in the IWSR if you are not claiming UC.

24 months unemployment check
Action to take
1. The Work and Health Programme is mandatory for most claimants reaching 24 months unemployed.
2. Work coaches need to check potential participants have been unemployed for 24 months by:
identifying breaks in claims to benefit (JSA or UC (Intensive Work Search Regime))
establishing a restart date from which the 24 months starts countingusing the number of days in any breaks betweenclaims (only those less than 28 days each), to re-establish thecorrect WHP eligibility date

If you had come into some money after closing your claim you cannot be in any UC group.  You don't even have to tell DWP why you are leaving the register.  There is also the matter of losing your UC payments if you close your claim before the end of your assessment period.  

Everything you say is the way it should work mate, if you stop claiming UC you shouldn't be in any group, be it IWSR or Light touch.

But it's just where it says a WC should look to see that in a break period of 29 days or more, the claimant is not in the intensive work search group, so there must be a situation where this could be the case, or else it wouldn't be an example set out in the document.

What is needed here is FOI to put it to bed, I'm going to do one next week.

MightyQunit

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker on Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Surely someone who stops claiming is the same as someone who has not claimed at all. They are not a claimant and they have no obligations to look for work, more work or better paid work, as long as they can support themselves.

king  Being Mandated onto WHP - Page 3 1983421430
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

"Yes, unfortunately after 24 months continuous unemployment (on whatever benefit and whether or not you have health problems) the WHP is mandatory just like the Work Programme was. "

Been unemployed for 2.8 years and not referred. Also did that circus of WP.No doubt, its only a matter of time before my sentence.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarquin Flotsam on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 pm

jobberpw wrote:"Yes, unfortunately after 24 months continuous unemployment (on whatever benefit and whether or not you have health problems) the WHP is mandatory just like the Work Programme was. "

Been unemployed for 2.8 years and not referred. Also did that circus of WP.No doubt, its only a matter of time before my sentence.

As far as my current JCP is concerned, I've been unemployed for over 2 years so they've been desperately trying to put me on some kind of programme... I was referred just the other month to a company (Shaw Trust) but then received through my UC journal a message saying:
I have received the result of your referral to Shaw Trust. You have not been selected to take part in the Work and Health Programme.

When I queried this at my most recent appointment, I asked if that means I could still be accepted by them in the future, she said no, and I won't be referred again. So... lucky escape there! Very Happy
Tarquin Flotsam
Tarquin Flotsam

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Nice one TF Smile
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallazz on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:25 pm

jobberpw wrote:"Yes, unfortunately after 24 months continuous unemployment (on whatever benefit and whether or not you have health problems) the WHP is mandatory just like the Work Programme was. "

That might be a bit pessimistic, jobber, as most of the places on WHP appear to be 'voluntary' - I can't think of anyone who's definitely been mandated, even though it's supposed to be mandatory for LTU claimants. As MightyQUnit closed his claim before the referral interview, he never found out for sure whether his referral was mandatory, even though they told him it was.

Jobcentres seem to be filling the places by tricking long-term unemployed people into accepting 'voluntary' referrals, telling them that it's mandatory, or not telling them this:

If the participant is engaged at the 24-month trigger but then disengages from WHP before the allotted time, participation will become mandatory for the balance of time on the WHP.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/460415/response/1110039/attach/17/15.Disengagement.pdf

Gallazz

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFrankZola on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Tarquin Flotsam wrote:

I have received the result of your referral to Shaw Trust. You have not been selected to take part in the Work and Health Programme.

"random allocation"

Default WHP allocation is 24 months of unemployment, but DWP has a number of internal hoops (random allocation) before a referral can be made and if not selected a 'coach' has the option to resubmit for referral once every 6 weeks if still eligible and the DWP computer does not say No. (don't have the links to hand). But I think they are elsewhere on this forum.

"Whether eligible participants access the WHP will be determined by a process of random allocation. If a participant is randomly allocated, they will be referred by the Work Coach to the supplier on a mandatory basis."

MrFrankZola

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

One thing I was wondering does anyone know if the WHP-provider gets any payment for claimants that are who ‘referred’ to the program/organisation and then rejected, as with @Tarquin Flotsam. As this could be a ‘cash crop’ for them, of selecting claimants and then rejecting them  No  .

Also I found some FOI’s, I have of the Work and Health Program, which might help?? Question

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/522698/response/1253180/attach/html/3/FOI%203690.pdf.html

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-0759/Work_and_Health_Programme_v5.0.pdf

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/work_and_health_programme_tariff
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFrankZola on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Tarquin Flotsam wrote:I have received the result of your referral to Shaw Trust. You have not been selected to take part in the Work and Health Programme.

Meaning the Work 'Coach' used the random allocation tool to make a WHP referrral and the tool rejected it?

All referrals to the Work and Health Programme (WHP) will be made by Jobcentre Plus Work Coaches, using a computer based selection tool. The selection tool will employ a random allocation function. Work Coaches will not be able to predict or change the outcome of the random allocation.

If a customer is not allocated to the WHP via the random allocation tool, they will not be
mandated to the programme."
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/433524/response/1055629/attach/html/3/3949%20reply.pdf.html

Work and Health Programme: Random Allocation can be used once every 6 weeks if claimant not selected & "the work coach believes they are still suitable"
11. Three outcomes will present from random allocation and there’s a different
process to follow for each:
-  potential participant allocated to the Work and Health Programme (WHP)
-  potential participant allocated to the Public Sector Comparator (PSC)
-  potential participant allocated to the Random Control Group (RCG)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/460415/response/1110039/attach/html/10/8.WHP%20Referral.pdf.html

"Participant wants to complain about the Random Control Group and/or…"

"Unless an individual asks directly, do not inform them that they have been allocated to the control group"

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/460415/response/1110039/attach/html/23/21.Complaints.pdf.html
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/460415/response/1110039/attach/html/12/10.RCG.pdf.html

MrFrankZola

Back to top Go down

Being Mandated onto WHP - Page 3 Empty Being sentenced to WHP.Help,please!

Post by jobberpw on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Committed Claimant wrote:Mighty Quinit:
If memory serves, you are still awaiting your initial referral interview with your work coach.

At that interview you should be informed of all you need to know about the programme and have it all explained to you. Any questions you raise should also be answered.

I am currently in this position and roach never explained things in any technical detail about the WHP. Considering I am at somewhat of a disadvantage, suffering long term with mental health issues; its astonishing for their total disregard with all this as is described by Committed Claimant.

Ws told it's voluntary and would I like to go take a look I foolishly said yes and told to expect a call the next day of which I had.
Now worried sick as to just what hell I have let myself in for.

Committed Claimant wrote:The links already posted contains all you need to know to prepare yourself for that interview. They explain what exactly the coach is obliged to discuss with you and that s/he must ensure that you are clear about what you should expect, and what is expected of you, whilst on the Programme. Once in procession of the full facts you will be invited to give your consent to the referral going ahead. You can decline the invite at this stage. Hopefully you will have picked up enough information at that stage to make a convincing argument to support your contention that in your circumstances the Programme is not appropriate.

The above conversation never took place? Think I will be able to make a more informed choice when I speak to the provider at interview but from what I am reading if I go there will be stuffed?

Committed Claimant wrote:If you want to contest or dispute a work coach decision or proposal, however ludicrous it may be, you will need to put your money where your mouth is and challenge him/her with vim and vigour. Any sign of weakness or wavering and you’re lost, not to mention a future of uncertainty and possibly much grief.

I guess I could argue it's not suitable on medical or travel grounds as will take too long to get there and back and I have medical conditions of which will need to be addressed. One thing I don't want is all these cowboys constantly phoning my mobile and will be removing that form of contact for them asap.

Committed Claimant wrote:Everyone who has been through this or similar situations can tell you it isn’t easy, but by backing off even before the first hurdle is reached would suggest that your heart isn’t in it. You are not ready or prepared for the fight.

HELP! Provider interview is this Tuesday morning. Any advice really appreciated.

Last edited by Caker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Welfare-Champion on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:04 pm

You have not been required to attend the W&HP scheme/programme unless you have received a lawful mandatory notice.

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Many thanks, Welfare Champion. Sending you a PM. Smile
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Being Mandated onto WHP - Page 3 Empty Exemptions from work health programme

Post by jobberpw on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:25 pm

Claimants who have known circumstances?

What the hell do they mean with the above, I have many particularly health issues not being addressed and currently waiting a WCA face to face app.

Just wondering for those being invited voluntary onto the WHP, what are the known circumstances they refer to to make someone exempt?

Some great advice on this forum with some very helpful people. 😊✌
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi Welfare Champ,

Been reading through the links and your previous posts. OMG this is another minefield these jobsworths have created. 🙄

Taking your advice in full and won't be going. Their contacting me any day now by phone. Am thinking of just telling them I seeked advice and are now fully informed as to how I wasn't at my jc+ refferal and won't be attending on x date. Please remove all my contact details from your systems ASAP.

I did give consent to my work coach when he asked if I minded jc giving out my number. However, I did not give consent for my home address. All the info about provider is in a nice big package and refers to what they can do for people. Or should say, implies.

I wasn't explained the ins and outs of the WHP by wc or given letter at my standard UC meeting. Will check tomorrow the one they eventually sent out.

Thanks so much for the help and advice Welfare Champion. But still stressed about this. Just hope I am doing the right thing but as you say. Attend the first appointment and will be screwed. Voulantary or not. 🙄😠✌

Jobberpw
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:06 am

jobberpw wrote:Been reading through the links and your previous posts. OMG this is another minefield these jobsworths have created. 🙄 Jobberpw

You can place obstacles in their way too - this has probably been mentioned before but don't forget the Equality Act. It has been my experience that neither the DWP or the provider of the WHP make any provision at all under the Equality Act for the disabled (of all types) on these schemes.

Considering I am at somewhat of a disadvantage, suffering long term with mental health issues; its astonishing for their total disregard with all this as is described by Committed Claimant

Yes, it is astonishing, I've come across it myself, but it does mean that they are breaking the law. Wink
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:58 am

Cheers for the support Absolut, will send you a PM as don't want to identify myself such is my paranoia that these 'clowns,' pardon my Avatar Very Happy maybe monitoring forums like this. Just certain things I see them in my case being actually capable of putting 2+2 together and making 4. Very Happy

You are bang on the money. Certain departments Rolling Eyes  really either don't have a clue when taking into account certain aspects of law, or try to turn a blind eye to it hoping people just end up doing exactly as they say with their bullyboy culture.

I have noticed this multiple times and will be taking them to task very soon on this should they upset me enough to do so. Evil or Very Mad

jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:24 am

You can place obstacles in their way too -Any ideas welcome Absolut? Smile
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 am

You might be able to challenge your referral, or even not signing the consent forms might mean you have a much easier time than people who do.

As Gallazz says above, I did this, and caused no end of problems for the provider.As ultimately stops them sharing your data and palming you off to other provider companies for their many bums on seats =£ go nowhere courses.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am

jobberpw wrote:You can place obstacles in their way too -Any ideas welcome Absolut? Smile

Sorry for the late response.

Ok the usual obstacle that I use is "the law". Are they breaking it in some fashion? (they usually are) Are they using the right law/rule/regulation and does that law/rule/regulation actually apply to you? It's boring but research pays off in this area. (Roaches often use UC rules on JSA claimants for instance.)

For example, I recently did some voluntary work and before I resigned I went looking for the law surrounding the difference between what made someone a genuine volunteer and what made someone a worker. In that search I came across the interesting (and previously unknown) fact that volunteers are not protected under the Equality Act.

Now, when it comes to a charitable organisation where every person working there is a volunteer then they are all in the same boat and that's fair enough, but...if there are paid workers then they have rights under the EA that a volunteer does not have. That's not very equal is it? Sure you can take someone to court under a different Act for discriminating against you (Race Relations Act, hate speech laws), but you can't use the EA. (The government is looking at extending rights under the EA to volunteers, but it's not happened yet and I predict that the bigger "charities" will try to block it.)

So, (and here's the point) the next time a roach suggests to me that I should consider taking on a voluntary job in order to fill gap on my CV, gain new skills, new reference yada yada I am going to ask them why I should work for nothing for an organisation where paid workers in that organisation have rights under the EA but I do not?

Those are the sort of obstacles I mean Wink
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am

For reference here are the relevant quotes:

https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/your-team/volunteers/recruiting/equality-and-diversity#

In January 2011, the Court of Appeal confirmed the Equality Act does not apply to volunteers in the same way as employees and ruled volunteers without contracts are not covered by anti-discrimination legislation for workers. It said that to be protected by anti-discrimination legislation, an individual must have a contract and that a wage is 'highly relevant'. A volunteer agreement does not constitute a contract of employment.

https://www.lodders.co.uk/blog/guidance-charities-engaging-volunteers/

volunteers do not have the same protections as employees and workers. However, by providing a volunteering opportunity, charities are providing the volunteer with a service which may give them protection under the discrimination legislation. There has yet to be a case to test this in the courts.

The link below is very recent:

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charities-face-employment-tribunal-claims-volunteers-government-proposals-suggest/volunteering/article/1594777

The government is consulting on a range of proposals for protecting people from workplace harassment, including extending equality legislation so that it covers volunteers as well as paid staff. The change would for the first time allow volunteers and interns to bring claims of discrimination or harassment against charities.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Think I have the wrong end of the stick here absolut as can't remember asking about the eq act as in my case I have an interest in all things regard to disability act. But, thanks all the same.

Jobber
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:22 am

Sorry Absolut, I see your point and a real good one as now clear as to why roach shop have such an unhealthy interest in trying to steer claimants in the direction of volunteering to do charity work.A nice dirty trick to remove them from the stats etc when someone complains of being mistreated etc.

They pull out due to mistreatment for example, and will probably be screwed by roach shop? If that's the case, it's bloody disgusting and maybe say to roach their discriminating by picking on certain people to work there in the first place, voluntary or not whatever the case may be.

Jobber
jobberpw
jobberpw

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:27 am

jobberpw wrote: They pull out due to mistreatment for example, and will probably be screwed by roach shop?  

It was an example of the kind of obstacles one can put in the path of the DWP (in order not to start something), but yes the claimant would have no ability to claim discrimination in a court of law under the EA for a volunteer job. Most of the time claimants are "voluntold" and they set up the voluntary work themselves. They can leave at any time. No sanction applies. However, in order not to start in the first place (most claimants are persuaded into it) the tool to use is "volunteers are not protected under the Equality Act". The EA isn't only about disability btw.

One of the obstacles that was used right at the beginning of the Work Programme was the fact that they can't make you sign any of their documents.
Absolut
Absolut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum