BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

National employment figures

Go down

National employment figures Empty National employment figures

Post by Caker Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

I am starting a discussion about employment figures because I think there is scope for debate. The media persists in reporting that record numbers of people are in employment, whilst at the same time reporting business closures. Something does not add up.

I am aware that more people are in the type of insecure 'micro employment' situations such as zero hours contracts. Additionally, the fact that more women are in employment is attributable to the increase in retirement age and therefore that women have delayed retirement when they would not have. This is ignored by the media.

Thoughts please.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

National employment figures Empty Re: National employment figures

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am

My default position is always not to believe the figures!

Don't know if there's anything useful in this article in the Guardian on 3/3/19:

Record jobs figures hide the true story of UK economy

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/03/record-job-figures-hide-true-story-of-uk-economy

There are 701 comments below the article if you scroll down. Have only read a few, but lots of interesting debate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks EffJay Smile
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Those who are on 0 hours are considered in employment. Those who work and receive benefits are considered in employment. It's just about massaging the figures. Nothing new here. Let's move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caker Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 pm

You make a fair point Miguel, but the daily fail readers take the figures to mean that there are absolutely loads of good jobs.
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Caker wrote:You make a fair point Miguel, but the daily fail readers take the figures to mean that there are absolutely loads of good jobs.
Most of those who actually buy the Fail can't read or can't afford to buy proper toilet paper.

The ones who leave online comments are mostly bots or professional trolls on Mr Yevgeny Prigozhin's payroll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down