BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The DWP call handlers’ strike, structural violence and the Milgram experiment framework

2 posters

Go down

The DWP call handlers’ strike, structural violence and the Milgram experiment framework Empty The DWP call handlers’ strike, structural violence and the Milgram experiment framework

Post by Welfare-Champion Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 am

Written by Kitty S Jones

"Universal Credit call handlers working at centres in Wolverhampton and Walsall have overwhelmingly voted in favour of strike action, accusing the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) of treating them with “utter contempt”."

"I’m bitterly disappointed that both the workers themselves and the union fail to recognise the part those workers play within a hierarchy of power that is instrumental in inflicting structural violence on people claiming social security – those who have no negotiating power to change their circumstances whatsoever."

It’s time to stop the experiment now.

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

The DWP call handlers’ strike, structural violence and the Milgram experiment framework Empty Re: The DWP call handlers’ strike, structural violence and the Milgram experiment framework

Post by Caker Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:09 pm

I agree with Kitty.

More than once I have been told (by JC staff) that claiming benefits is actually a 'choice'. We all know that it is only a 'choice' between having subsistence and having none at all, so not an actual 'choice' in the proper sense of the word.
JC workers are peddling false propositions as part of their assault on claimants.

Evil or Very Mad
Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down