BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit

+2
Pintel
Non Deficere
6 posters

Go down

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit Empty Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit

Post by Non Deficere Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Non Deficere
Non Deficere

Back to top Go down

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit Empty Re: Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit

Post by Pintel Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:50 am

"In 2014 Government committed to maintain POca until at least 2021, to ensure that people who cannot use a mainstream account can continue to access their benefits and pensions.

Government’s existing POca contract with the Post Office, which expires in November 2021, has an option to be extended for up to 3 years to 2024. A decision on any extension will be taken at the appropriate time, informed by both customers’ needs and the need to make sure the taxpayer sees Value for Money."

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-10-19/108721

Thanks for the posting @Non_Def  Smile . With regards to "A decision on any extension will be taken at the appropriate time". Do you know anymore about the 'extensions' such to who and when people would be able to get this extension? And will it be on an individual bases, or will it be on the whim of the work-roach rather than the individual circumstances?
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit Empty Re: Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit

Post by Caker Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 am

A recent development, if anyone can call it that; my roach recently (within the past month) told me that DWP had circulated an email to staff to the effect that POCA will be closed in tranches, and that POCA users will be written to, by the PO, about this and about opening a PO current a/c instead.

I think the roach may well be mistaken or perhaps the originator of the email is mistaken about this.

I made attempts to open a PO current a/c several months ago (this involves registering via 'phone and then waiting for an invite letter to arrange to attend a main (city) branch to show ID documents). Before I could complete the process, I received a letter from the PO to tell me that PO current a/cs will close by 11th September 2019. On that note, I decided not to open one, and just continue with my POCA for as long as I can.

My understanding is that the only other account offered by the PO is a savings a/c which only accepts deposits and not 3rd party payments, so useless for wages or UC.

Post office CURRENT account

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/current-accounts

Post office CARD account

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/post-office-card-account

Caker
Caker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welfare-Champion Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 am

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2019-02-14/221639
Post Office Card Account:Written question - 221639
The Post Office has not issued any advice, written or otherwise, to Post Office card account users over the past five years regarding options to transfer onto alternative products.

The DWP has written to customers who use the Post Office card accounts to encourage them to receive payment into a mainstream account. This is part of our policy of reducing reliance on payment exception services and promoting financial inclusion through the use of mainstream accounts. Mainstream accounts offer more features and reduce the cost to the taxpayer. One of the key messages we highlight, is that 99% of banks’ personal accounts enable customers to withdraw cash, deposit cash and cheques, and make balance enquiries at a Post Office counter via its network of 11,600 branches.

For those claimants and pensioners who are unable to open a mainstream account, the DWP will implement an alternative payment service that allows users to obtain cash payments in their local area (including suburban and rural locations) before the end of the Post Office card account contract in November 2021.

All DWP letters provide a free telephone number where the customer can call to discuss their payment options further and change their method of payment over the telephone. A copy of these letters will be placed in the House of Commons Library.

As we approach the end of the Post Office card account contract, the DWP and POL will work together to issue joint guidance on Post Office card account user’s options, to transfer to other payments methods.

Post Office News - March 2019
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:k4b1brI_Ub8J:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/CitizensAdvice/Post%2520and%2520Telecoms/Post%2520Office%2520News%2520-%2520March%25202019%2520(public)%2520(1)%2520(1).pdf+&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-d

Welfare-Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 pm

Non Deficere wrote:How UC, PIP, ESA and JSA payments are made ...

The Post Office contract ends in 2021, but can be extended to 2024.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-10-19/108721

I was just wondering with the current state of things with the Covid situation 😷. Has there been any changes in the Post office card account? #Non Deficere commented "The contract ends in 2021, but can be extended to 2024"... While it isn't the end of the year yet, getting information out of the DWP🚽 can be a slow process 🐌 to say the least. Hence the reason for my posting ⌛.

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:30 am

Pintel wrote:
Non Deficere wrote:How UC, PIP, ESA and JSA payments are made ...

The Post Office contract ends in 2021, but can be extended to 2024.

I was just wondering with the current state of things with the Covid situation 😷. Has there been any changes in the Post office card account? #Non Deficere commented "The contract ends in 2021, but can be extended to 2024"... While it isn't the end of the year yet, getting information out of the DWP🚽 can be a slow process 🐌 to say the least. Hence the reason for my posting ⌛.

The Post Office Card Account (POCA) was set up in 2003 but the government's contract with the Post Office ends in November 2021

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/dwp-stopping-paying-benefits-post-18227136

Making sure we continue to support our POca customers

https://www.onepostoffice.co.uk/secure/latest-news/our-products/making-sure-we-continue-to-support-our-poca-customers/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks #Welfarechampion😉.
I look for a letter from the DWP 🚽 about it. You never know they might give an extension, as the articles where written last year. The JCP must not be able to spy into people's Post office card accounts?😟

And hopefully there is a safety net, for people the Bank's refuse to give them an account.
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:30 pm

On a side note, is there a fund if claimants need purchase a form of ID to open a Bank account. As utility bills are only one form of excepted ID, and might need a passport etc. Which costs some money, not exactly the JCP 🚽 saving people money is it?😒
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 am

Pintel wrote:On a side note, is there a fund if claimants need purchase a form of ID to open a Bank account. As utility bills are only one form of excepted ID, and might need a passport etc. Which costs some money, not exactly the JCP 🚽 saving people money is it?😒

Proving who you are

For this first one, the banks will all ask for photo ID. The most common photo identification types are passports and driving licenses. These both cost money. A passport will set you back £75.50 and a provisional driving license £34 (don’t worry, you don’t then need to learn to drive). Still if you think you’re going to use either of these documents and can afford it, it’s worth getting one. You’ll need your birth certificate when you apply.

If you can’t get one of these photo IDs all the different banks list online the other forms of ID that are acceptable. Pretty much all the banks should take a benefits letter from the last 12 months, while Nationwide will accept valid student ID or a letter from your social worker, doctor or probation officer.
Proving where you live

Next you need to prove your address. You can use a driving licence or a benefits letter, as long as you didn’t use it prove your ID. If you did you’ll need something else like a gas or Council Tax bill, or a tenancy agreement from the council or letting agent.

But if you’re living with your parents or don’t have a fixed address you might not have any of these. Ask if the bank will take a letter from your employer or the homeless shelter. If you’re still struggling, talk to the bank and see if there’s anything else they’ll take.

https://www.moneyforlife.org.uk/advice/banking-spending/open-a-bank-account/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks #Welfarechampion😉.

The other concern i have is the rumours, that the 🏦 banks may get rid of Free Banking, while they make their money fron paying virtually no interest on current accounts etc... However, charging claimants for a bank account, when they have no choice but to have there payment via this method, seem somewhat cruel to me🧟.
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:15 pm

Pintel wrote:Thanks #Welfarechampion😉.

The other concern i have is the rumours, that the 🏦 banks may get rid of Free Banking, while they make their money fron paying virtually no interest on current accounts etc... However, charging claimants for a bank account, when they have no choice but to have there payment via this method, seem somewhat cruel to me🧟.

Fee-free basic bank accounts

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/basic-bank-accounts

One can never tell what may happen in the future!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:49 pm

I got a letter from the DWP 🚽, yesterday. Saying the POCA is closing down in 2021, i need to find another method of payment. However, on the letter was the 'Payment Exception Service' :
"The payment exception service is a way for people who do not have a bank account to collect benefit or pension payments. They are only available in very limited circumstances.

How to get your money
You will be sent:
🔶 A payment card, or
🔴 A voucher by email, or
💠 A text message with a unique reference number.

To collect a payment, you will need to show your card, voucher or text message at a PayPoint outlet. You can find PayPoint outlets in your local newsagents, convenience store or supermarket.

For more information, search for Payment Exception Service at www.gov.uk. "
Doesn't say if you can use these at the post office counter 🤔. I have took some photos of the letter, but the image might not be too clear, so see attached 📷.

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit Img_2011

Post office Account Cards - Universal Credit Img_2012

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 pm

The flow chart doesn't look clear to me, so it says:

"Can you have a bank, building society or credit union account? " ➡ (If No) ➡ " We will keep paying your money into your Post Office card account for now. We will then move you to our new Payment Exception Service. Wait until all your benefit or pension payments have moved to this service. Speak to the Post Office on 0345-722-33-44 about taking any money out of your Post Office card account and close it." 😒

Ive no idea about the deadline for this transfer to bank/building society accounts thou❓
Pintel
Pintel

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Pintel wrote:

For more information, search for Payment Exception Service at www.gov.uk.  "
Doesn't say if you can use these at the post office counter 🤔. I have took some photos of the letter, but the image might not be too clear, so see attached 📷.

You can only obtain money via a PayPoint at this time.

Further information:
https://www.informationnow.org.uk/article/payment-exception-service/

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/508462/response/1218885/attach/2/Payment%20Exception%20Service.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

I cannot identify the particular circumstances rules right now. I am assuming that people who cannot manage their money would qualify.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks for the links #Guest.😉

One of my concerns about transfering to a bank/ building society account. Is i have had a gambling problem in the past. A while ago i asked my bank to remove me from their mailing list, that offered me loans/overdrafts/credit cards etc. To easy cash, and I can't be trusted with the temptation🙏👿. Yet as you guessed it they kept coming in. And i eventually fell of the wagon, and got deeper and deeper into debt! So it didn't go well for anyone. I understand that loaning money out is a cash🌾crop for the bank, hence why i kept getting the offer's to take out credit 😞. This is why i liked the Post Office CA, as there was no option to get credit.

I have spoken to my work🤡 roach, about this 'gambling' issue. And got the reply, 'as long as i am not employed in the gaming industry, it should be Ok'🙈🙉🙊! And i could image that i wouldn't be eligible for the 'Payment Exception Service'. As on the letter i got its 'only available in very limited circumstances'... So wish me luck🤞 then.
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Talking of bank accounts, does anyone know the regulation's with regards to how long 📅before you are able to open a basic account. After being made bankruptcy/DRO/insolvency etc? 🤔

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebel-1 Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:22 am

Pintel wrote:Talking of bank accounts, does anyone know the regulation's with regards to how long 📅before you are able to open a basic account. After being made bankruptcy/DRO/insolvency etc? 🤔

Normally 1 year; After they do a big check to see there is nothing outstanding.
Full Guide can be found here:

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/bank-accounts-after-bankruptcy.aspx
Rebel-1
Rebel-1

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:51 am

[quote="Rebel-1"]
Pintel wrote:Talking of bank accounts, does anyone know the regulation's with regards to how long 📅before you are able to open a basic account. After being made bankruptcy/DRO/insolvency etc? 🤔

Pintel, When going BR open a basic account before the bankruptcy.

That was 6 years ago, things may have changed
but doubt it, as household bills can still be set up on direct debits with a basic account. Also intetnet can be incorporated into it as can outstanding house bills. You will have to check these are still current rules. Also if you have a car there are ways of keeping that but slightly difficult to do.

If there is something suspicious about how the bankruptcy was incurred they apply a restrictions order 1to as long as 15 years.

The restrictions order is done upto 12 months or at time of filing papers. This time frame could also have changed.
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks #Rebel-1&#Jobberpw 😉. I should be ok, just you could see some claimants getting stung, if its a new Insolvency under the 12x month level.🤮

On a side point, are the high street bank's open? As i get confused with the different Lockdown/Tier's levels. Of what is 'essential' and what is classed as not...🤨
Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by jobberpw Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm

This was put out recently but we know how clear they are with guidance 🙄🤔. This may have already changed or about to. Banks need to give their high street cash points a damn good scrubbing.

"according to the guidance things include: ‘Banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers £€$, savings clubs, cash points and undertakings which by way of business operate currency exchange offices, transmit money (or any representation of money) by any means or cash cheques which are made payable to customers."
jobberpw
jobberpw

Pintel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pintel Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:49 pm

jobberpw wrote:This was put out recently but we know how clear they are with guidance 🙄🤔. This may have already changed or about to. Banks need to give their high street cash points a damn good scrubbing.

I hear where your coming from #Jobberpw 🤧. I feel the same about supermarket 'chip & pin' points. As always use the anticeptic spra️y on the basket/trolley, yet i can see the grime on the chip & pin point keys! Just a cross infection hub to me, that's why I use Cash. And lets not get into the debate of 'contact-less' and data sharing 🚧 between the banks etc.

Pintel
Pintel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down