BenefitsAdvice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK earthquake: tremor hits south-west England and south Wales

Go down

UK earthquake: tremor hits south-west England and south Wales Empty UK earthquake: tremor hits south-west England and south Wales

Post by Rebel-1 Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am

UK earthquake: tremor hits south-west England and south Wales
British Geological Survey says magnitude-4.4 tremor struck 12 miles north-east of Swansea

Press Association
Sat 17 Feb 2018 15.54 GMT First published on Sat 17 Feb 2018 15.34 GMT

A minor earthquake has struck the south-west of England and south Wales, the British Geological Survey has said.

The BGS said it was a magnitude 4.4 quake and that such an event only occurs in Britain about every two to three years.

The earthquake happened on Saturday about 2.30pm local time. The BGS tweeted:

Just in: Event epicentre approx 20km NNE of Swansea, with 4.4 magnitude at a depth of 7.4km. Events of this magnitude only happen in the UK every 2-3 years.

People across the regions said they felt what they thought was an earthquake on Saturday afternoon.

jamesleonard
@jamesleonard40
Wow was that an earthquake in Swansea my house just shook #earthquake earthquake

2:32 PM - Feb 17, 2018 · Swansea, Wales
87 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Jo
@BlacksheepJo
#earthquake in Swansea Valley .... never thought I'd see the day! But the earth definitely moved for me! #scary #tremor #Wales #quake

3:20 PM - Feb 17, 2018
See Jo's other Tweets

SW Police Cardiff
✔️
@swpcardiff
There has been a minor earthquake throughout South Wales....no need for you to contact the Emergency Services unless you have something to report ie:- injuries or damage. Hope this sets you minds at rest SWP

2:50 PM - Feb 17, 2018
97 people are talking about this
Mark Wyatt, a third-year student at Cardiff University, was entering his house in the city centre when he heard a “weird, deep rumbling sound” at about 2.30pm.

The 21-year-old said: “We heard the noises before we felt the rumble, and then the house shook for a couple of seconds before it stopped.”

Tremors were felt across the Bristol Channel into England too.

Seth Piper wrote on Twitter: “OK pretty sure I just experienced my first ever earthquake … in Bristol, UK?”

More Here;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/17/earthquake-hits-south-west-england-and-south-wales
Rebel-1
Rebel-1

Back to top Go down